Tommy Gun Shop   Crimsontrace   CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new

Thread: My old reliable CW380 hasn't been so reliable lately

Default My old reliable CW380 hasn't been so reliable lately

I've taken my CW380 to the range a few times in the past couple of months. First time was after carrying it a lot and not shooting it for about six months. It experienced lots of failure to feed jams. I took it home, cleaned and lubed it, and next visit was better---out of 50 rounds fired, it FTF 3-4 times. That's unacceptable, and that time I thought it was an issue with a bad magazine. It was also failing to lock back.

I took it out yesterday. Same thing---FTF at least 4 times out of 50. However, for my last 24 rounds, I consciously gripped the HELL out of the little pistol. No jams. I thought that was the problem, and problem solved.

Until I got it home and disassembled. I found----to my great embarrassment---that I'd reinstalled the recoil spring BACKWARDS. The open end of the spring was actually over the flange of the recoil spring rod.

So this pistol will actually function fairly reliably with the recoil spring in backwards. I've been carrying it like that. Not my proudest moment, TBH.

Glad it was something simple! What is your usual method of carry? I find that after a few months of pocket carry, the lint builds up quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray C View Post
    Glad it was something simple! What is your usual method of carry? I find that after a few months of pocket carry, the lint builds up quite a bit.
    I pocket carry, but in a DeSantis pocket holster. I don't find a lot of lint accumulates that way, but this pistol needs to be lubricated to function properly. So now I strip and lube it whenever I shoot anything. That seems to be an easy way to keep it lubricated.

Quote Originally Posted by MMyers1970 View Post
    I've taken my CW380 to the range a few times in the past couple of months. First time was after carrying it a lot and not shooting it for about six months. It experienced lots of failure to feed jams. I took it home, cleaned and lubed it, and next visit was better---out of 50 rounds fired, it FTF 3-4 times. That's unacceptable, and that time I thought it was an issue with a bad magazine. It was also failing to lock back.

I took it out yesterday. Same thing---FTF at least 4 times out of 50. However, for my last 24 rounds, I consciously gripped the HELL out of the little pistol. No jams. I thought that was the problem, and problem solved.

Until I got it home and disassembled. I found----to my great embarrassment---that I'd reinstalled the recoil spring BACKWARDS. The open end of the spring was actually over the flange of the recoil spring rod.

So this pistol will actually function fairly reliably with the recoil spring in backwards. I've been carrying it like that. Not my proudest moment, TBH.
    Thanks for posting and for being honest. It makes me wonder how many post on line for many guns have been reported for failure that were actually "User Error"? I know many times, reports of gun failure were actually such trivial errors like limp wrestng, riding he slide, failure to change out recoil springs, not taking the time to break the gun in, breaking magazines in and on and on. I am guessing the vast majority are user errors. Interesting post. Thanks.

KR you nailed it, I believe same most failures are operator error, I've did it myself and still after 50 years of the sport find times when I make mistakes so before blaming the firearm check over your procedures in operating.

One reason Kahr at times is reluctant to send free shipping labels as often times they get the gun and have no issues at all.
    Its sometimes tough to admit our weakness's or mistakes but we all experience then now and then. I myself made a mistake once, I think it was 1968 or maybe 69.

Kahr even has a word they use for limp wristing which I don't recall at the moment as they found that no man or gun toting woman wants to even hear that they might be limp wristing.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

My solution has been to own 2; one to carry, one in the range bag (rotating them). If I have problems at the range, I try the other one. If they both mess up, its me. I need to go over the basics and tighten up, be more regular at the range. These little buggers are unforgiving of sloppy technique. If one is fine and the other has problems, new springs usually take care of it, but if not send it in. Honestly its been a long time since I've had any issues except operator errors. One advantage - if one's in for repair, you still have the other one to carry.
    Rest in peace Muggsy

"Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world." Winston Churchill 1899