Kahr Shop   Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen

Thread: Finally got to shoot a Chiappa Rhino yesterday

Default Finally got to shoot a Chiappa Rhino yesterday

The older gentleman in the lane next to me had a Chiappa Rhino 30DS---the 3" version. It's one of my unicorn guns, and his was the nickel .357 Magnum version, the exact one I want. I would never ask anyone if I could shoot their gun, but I waited until he stopped shooting, and asked "Is that a Rhino?". He was happy to tell me all about it, and asked me if I wanted to shoot it. I happily accepted, and fired six rounds of .38 Special at the target seven yards away.

His sights were definitely off, as the revolver shot about 1.5 inches high at seven yards, but my group could have been covered with a quarter, and it was the lightest recoiling centerfire revolver I've ever fired. The noise of firing a short barreled .38 Special was there, but the revolver didn't move at all. When people say it feels like a .22, that may be a bit hyperbolic, but it didn't feel like a .38. The trigger was not as bad as I've read it was. It's not tuned 686-good, but Chiappa has managed to make their convoluted linkage produce a decent trigger pull. I'd say it was 8-10 pounds, but kind of short with a nice crisp break.

I was definitely impressed with the Chiappa Rhino. I was considering the 200DS, the 2' version, but the 3" seemed pretty handy and looked as though it would be easy to conceal. Now I need to see what I can sell from my collection to afford one.

All’s well that ends well.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

My 3" M65 is a favorite for sure

Quote Originally Posted by MMyers1970 View Post
    The older gentleman in the lane next to me had a Chiappa Rhino 30DS---the 3" version. It's one of my unicorn guns, and his was the nickel .357 Magnum version, the exact one I want. I would never ask anyone if I could shoot their gun, but I waited until he stopped shooting, and asked "Is that a Rhino?". He was happy to tell me all about it, and asked me if I wanted to shoot it. I happily accepted, and fired six rounds of .38 Special at the target seven yards away.

His sights were definitely off, as the revolver shot about 1.5 inches high at seven yards, but my group could have been covered with a quarter, and it was the lightest recoiling centerfire revolver I've ever fired. The noise of firing a short barreled .38 Special was there, but the revolver didn't move at all. When people say it feels like a .22, that may be a bit hyperbolic, but it didn't feel like a .38. The trigger was not as bad as I've read it was. It's not tuned 686-good, but Chiappa has managed to make their convoluted linkage produce a decent trigger pull. I'd say it was 8-10 pounds, but kind of short with a nice crisp break.

I was definitely impressed with the Chiappa Rhino. I was considering the 200DS, the 2' version, but the 3" seemed pretty handy and looked as though it would be easy to conceal. Now I need to see what I can sell from my collection to afford

one.
    They are really sweet shooters. I am surprised other manufacturers have not picked up on the design. And surprised they to not get more awareness from the general public.

Quote Originally Posted by Barth View Post
    My 3" M65 is a favorite for sure
    Is that a Chiappa Rhino????????

Default S&W Mode 60 Pro

I have a S&W Model 60 Pro and love it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I’ve wondered what one of those Rhino’s would feel like to shoot. I would like to try one back to back, same caliber, with it and another maker for comparison. Sounds like you experienced what I’ve read, which is a greatly reduced recoil effect.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdsThaWord View Post
    I’ve wondered what one of those Rhino’s would feel like to shoot. I would like to try one back to back, same caliber, with it and another maker for comparison. Sounds like you experienced what I’ve read, which is a greatly reduced recoil effect.

I would like to see what it feels like with hot .357 Magnums, but all the gentleman had was .38s, and I didn't have any .357 with me that day. It's an interesting design. Wish it was less expensive, though.

I shot one during my last range trip. The guy in the lane next to me had multiple 357 Magnum revolvers, and asked if I wanted to shoot the Rhino. It was the 6” version, which he said surprisingly kicks harder than the shorter-barreled versions. That being said, there was absolutely zero muzzle flip. Every bit of recoil was felt in the base of my palm. The fireball was still present, though! Completely different recoil experience than my S&W 340pd.

My lasting impression was that it shoots exactly like they said it does, and if it were cheaper I would add it to “the list”.

-Wlf

Thumbs down

I HAD ONE and was a lemon with failures to fire. Their was absolutely zero customer service. When I called the company all I got was whining that they were way understaffed and if I would send it in they would try to figure it out. Needless to say I got rid of it. Apparently they are just a novelty gun otherwise others would be jumping on the bandwagon. I give it two thumbs down with my experience.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Life Member NRA"
    I am addicted to brake fluid...don't worry I can STOP at anytime!