Magnum Research new   CrossBreed Holsters   Kahr Shop   Crimsontrace

Thread: Your childhood cap guns

Default Your childhood cap guns

First one I recall is this Gene Autry rig - me on the left with the bad trigger discipline (Fort Sam Houston, San Antonio, Texas - 1947):

A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

I don’t have any pictures but the first one was a SA Western replica where you flipped up one side of the cylinder to load the paper caps, then in the early teens I remember buying one of those where you loaded the plastic rings and the cylinder would spin when you pulled the trigger. It was cool.

BUT, the most annoying (aka. most fun) was a hammer where you could take a whole roll on cement and if you hit it right the whole roll would go off at once. The neighbor would then come out and cuss at us because he thought we had fireworks. Those were the good days.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

I had both of those, and a sort of mortar round where you placed a cap behind the metal nose and it went bang when it hit the ground.

I had a belt buckle derringer...

My brothers and I were raised as po' share croppers children...

Well, not quite, but our folks wouldn't replace toys that quit "working" due to rough play. So, when the cap guns quit going bang for us, we pretty much destroyed them by hitting each other about the head and shoulders until we just had bits of plastic.

Oh, the good ol' days!

Quote Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
    First one I recall is this Gene Autry rig - me on the left with the bad trigger discipline (Fort Sam Houston, San Antonio, Texas - 1947):

Great Pic Army. Sure brings back some old memories. Niece outfits you boys were wearing. However none of you could have taken on me and come out alive. I was fast with the Fanner Fifty, very Fast!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xio0p4Fsbd8

Are you gonna pull those pistols or just whistle Dixie?......Love the YouTube Fanner Fifty commercial....If you bought something like that for your kid today you would probably go to jail....Sad times we live in now.

We didn't play too much with cap guns but we played army all the time and we never missed an episode of Combat on TV....For my Christmas present when I was 7 years old I was able to talk my parents into one of these bad boys though.... Never lost a battle https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGhYbg3KVu0

I had a hat, holster and cap pistol myself. I remember Palladin always had a nice set up. We always watched Combat also...…..my old man used to do all of the German translations. You wouldn't believe some of the German that they spoke. Sometimes it had nothing to do with what was going on. Must have sounded good for TV. It was always a big decision owning a cap gun. Caps were a nickel a box. Most of the time, all I got was a nickel for the corner store. Do I get a box of caps or do I get 5 penny gumballs? When I got a dime it was an easy decision then. Didn't always use the caps in the gun. Sometimes, instead of hitting them with a hammer or rock and being deaf for a day, we used to weave a pin back and forth through each powder spot until we had a folded roll of pierced caps. Then we would wrap that in masking tape in a tight ball, and light it on fire with a match. They exploded quite loudly. Already a rebel at that age...…………………………………………….You were in the big leagues with a Johnny Seven. I didn't move up much until we got to Estes rocket age...…………....

Quote Originally Posted by berettabone View Post
    ...... Sometimes, instead of hitting them with a hammer or rock and being deaf for a day, we used to weave a pin back and forth through each powder spot until we had a folded roll of pierced caps. Then we would wrap that in masking tape in a tight ball, and light it on fire with a match. They exploded quite loudly...
    If I had only known that.....
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/