Mitch Rosen   CrossBreed Holsters   Kahr Shop   Crimsontrace

Thread: Is this normal on a new S9?

Default Is this normal on a new S9?

After my first 1000 rounds, I decided to swap in an M★Carbo stainless steel striker guide.

I have cleaned the gun regularly (every range day, slides, barrel, etc.) but this is the first time I have taken down the striker assembly so a good swabbing with Hoppe's #9 was in order.

I was a bit surprised by the level of metal flakes on the swab, as the gun has run flawlessly this far. There were no marks on the striker or saddle, everything looked great.

So, oh great intarwebs, does this look normal for a new gun or should I be concerned about it?

We see that. Some seem to do it more than others. Back in the day the striker channel sometimes came with leftover machining debri but haven't heard of that.
    That looks like brass probably from the striker smear. Many flush out the striker channel with brake cleaner. This might prevent the build up that your seeing.
    I generally don't myself.
    I just take it down annually or so and so far I've not had any issue.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I guess the question is; "How long can the gun function without cleaning before this build-up causes a failure?" I suspect most Kahrs go a long time without any attention paid to the striker channel. It would be interesting to see a long term "torture" test on a Kahr. I can't remember reading of one.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

I use CDC electrical cleaner and air compressor, does a great job of keeping striker assembly clean.

I disassembled and cleaned the striker channel in my 3 Kahrs after 600, 700 and 1400 rounds and mine looked nothing like that. Just a little black grease on the Q tip.

I did periodically flush out the striker channel with non chlorinated brake cleaner so maybe that’s why.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

I took the striker assembly apart only one time when I first detail cleaned my CW9. I did see a tiny bit of machining material, but not much. Since then, every time I field strip it for cleaning, the striker channel gets thoroughly blasted out with non chlorinated brake cleaner and NOT lubed. I've always been taught that lube in a firing pin tunnel or striker channel is much more of a problem causer than a mechanical need. Maybe a single tiny drop of light machine oil is o.k., but there's danged sure a limit. Powder residue, those tiny brass flakes (from the primer), dust, etc., are attracted to lube like it was iron dust to a magnet, and it turns into a nasty, abrasive goo. It's a very simple and easy cleaning procedure of a Kahr slide.

just my non professional opinion

jd

It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

It happens.
    Wake Up...Grow Up...Show Up...Sit Up...Shut Up...Listen Up

Thanks everyone, I will make sure to eliminate any extra lubricant and check in in another 200 rounds or so.