CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun   Magnum Research new

View Poll Results: Do you carry a spare magazine while carrying you SD handgun?

Voters
512. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I carry a spare

346 67.58%
  • No, I don't carry a spare

166 32.42%
Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you carry a spare magazine?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

That kind of thinking might leave you unarmed with no choices when attacked in "nicer" areas. It's not by accident that the BG's go where the pickings are better.

CCW should be a full-time commitment for real protection. If it's an undesirable area, a better plan would be not to go there! That's like not having car insurance because you're a good driver and don't take chances. You take chances every time you leave the house. The roads are full of people speeding and driving with their attention focused on their gadgets or buddies in the back seat. They're multi-tasking! What they are doing is diverting most of their attention to the conversation or texting, when driving is an intensely multitasking job requiring all of your attention, IF you're doing it correctly. Most people act like they are sitting on their living room sofa instead of piloting a two-ton somewhat-guided missile in traffic, when they should be paying attention to the road and developing conditions... the traffic ahead and the cars all around them. They should always be watching for impending accidents and planning on how to cope with them. If the lane you need is blocked or some Yahoo is on your butt, you need to use all available space for braking... not just slam on the brakes and let the other moron behind you ruin your day when he runs into you!

With weapons, you have choices...without them you have choices, too, but then you're dependent on the whim of the guy with the weapons and the advantages.

Dang... get carried away... all of the time!

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

I think I've posted in this thread before that I don't routinely have a spare mag on my person for casual personal defense carry. That's both because I live in a very low violent crime area and naked mags in a pocket are rather a pita...a bit bulky and subject to having the top round knocked loose.
    That habit changes with J-frames...a speed strip or two in front, off-side pants pocket. Just 'cause it's simple and easy.

I had to go into an area with a lot of crack houses and burned out homes a few days ago. It was Beretta on the right hip, Sig P238 in the left pocket.

Normally I don't carry a spare but have on occasion.

I voted NO

I usually carry a spare. If I had a little BUG I'd likely carry that too.

Hmmmm...interesting points of view here. I didn't read every post but it seems like the consensus among those that don't carry extra is that it would be a 1 in a million chance that you would need that spare mag. It's also unlikely that you will need your gun period, so why carry at all? Don't answer that, just playing devils advocate. I'm all about carrying an extra mag at the very least. Although, I'm a cop and not that I go looking for trouble off duty but I feel I have more responsibility to get involved if trouble finds me. A spare mag has always been a must for me as long as I've been on the job. Interesting points of view though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sap View Post
    Although, I'm a cop and not that I go looking for trouble off duty but I feel I have more responsibility to get involved if trouble finds me. A spare mag has always been a must for me as long as I've been on the job. Interesting points of view though.
    As a civilian, I have the responsibility to withdraw as soon as possible. That's my plan... shoot & scoot.

Yes, I know every plan goes out the window after the first shot. But, a plan, any plan, is better than just being armed with only a bad attitude and harsh language.
    LaP

I have no fear of perfection... I'll never reach it.

I don't carry because I am scared!! I carry because I am not scared!!! There is a difference. I have carried for over 48 years and never one time have I had to ever draw in anger or even being close to drawing in anger. IMO nothing wrong in carrying a spare magazine. One decided his own method of carry, Main this is TO CARRY.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Much depends on where you live and the environment you live in. No one simple hard and fast answer and you have to be prepare to adapt to your surroundings and environment.

Living in a urban environment is going to present a far different set of conditions and challenges than a country or suburban one.

You also have the social and political norms to deal with. Some places give you the right to carry and the right to self defense. Other areas are more restrictive and if you're a law abiding citizen, that is in the back of your mind.

Criminal don't care....

I would not hold it against a cop or some other trained individual with combat experience if they too did what my co-worker did when a bunch of guys on a month long rampage did armed with shotguns and pistols and busted into the restaurant did-hide under the bar.

How could there be anything WRONG with carrying a spare magazine? It's like having a spare tire in your car... only more apt to SAVE YOUR LIFE. It's not about being bloodthirsty or planning on spraying and praying... it's about being prepared for malfunctions and loss of fine motor skills in stressful situations. You could accidentally release the magazine or lose it in a scuffle with help from the bad guy, or you might have to use "covering or diversionary fire"... shooting in the general direction of the bad guys, to throw off their aim while you seek cover. This can be a good tactic... while standing there like a target at the range will get you dead quickly. That's why I don't practice trying to get tiny groups at long ranges... greater than 7 yards. I want to be confident that I can point and shoot reliably and hit a sheet of paper... Center of Mass at about 7 yards without taking my time and controlling my breathing, etc. I shoot rapidly and point after the first few shots. I'm happy with fist-sized groups at 7 yards... and getting on a sheet of paper at 15 yards... the max range at the range I use. The paper targets don't shoot back, nor move, the bad guys do.

I carry one reload... the highest capacity for the Kahr I'm carrying... 8 for 9mm, and 7 for .380, .40, and .45. Maybe I won't need the extra rounds, but there are no prizes for coming in second in a fight for your life. NO one has ever complained of having TOO MUCH ammo in a gunfight!

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Always a good idea to carry a spare. Even if you don't need the firepower, it could be a lifesaver in the unlikley event of a jam. Murph's Law and all.