Crimsontrace   Kahr Shop   Xssights   Magnum Research new

Thread: Cleaning wood grips

Default Cleaning wood grips

What's the best way to clean wood grips? I have acquired a pistol that arrived filthy, with hand oil stains on the wood grips.

Naturally, the seller claimed it was clean, but I could see in the pics it wasn't, so no biggie.
    Man of steel - Kahr T9, SP101

I'd use a tooth brush, maybe your wife's when she's not looking. I think it's some sort of oil finish on Kahr grips but not certain. You can use like linseed oil or something like Ballistol to scrub with the brush to loosen things up. This is usually enough to get them looking new again.
    If not you can send me the grips and I'll recut the checkering. Would have to be really bad to need that but the offer is there if you feel the need.
    Is that a T. I can't figure out how to enlarge the picture but I see more of a T than I do a K.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Yup, it’s a T. I’ve used vinegar and baking soda on similar stains, but I have no idea what that does to the finish. Worst case, I can oil it again.
    Man of steel - Kahr T9, SP101

Vinegar and baking soda may be ok. Be warned that vinegar on its own turns some wood black (like some oak.) don’t ask me how I know but I’ll tell you anyway. The wife left the end of some cloth soaking in a bowl of vinegar overnight and the vinegar wicked through the whole cloth and left the biggest ugliness black stain on an oak kitchen island I built and I was none too happy.

But I kept my mouth shut anyway.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

dawn dish washing soap (the one used to clean oil spill fouled little ducks) and HOT water/toothbrush works well also.