Tommy Gun   Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen   Xssights
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New tool

Default New tool

Well, My cw380 has been running like a top. I mean perfect with over a thousand rounds with no problems. But, as much as I did not want to invest in a New Striker from Lakeland, I went ahead and bought one. I am hoping the old adage of "if it ain't broke, do not fix it" does not come back to haunt me. I have not tried the new striker out yet.

That said, I do not know if any of you can replace the striker spring and end cap as easy as the guy on the instructional video. For me, and I admit to being all thumbs, it is a PITA. Always end up with the spring and guide rod flying. So I looked around and found this, a Wall anchor that I use for 22.cal snap caps. It worked perfectly. Fast and easy. Pushing down and holding it was easy. I pushed down with the Flat end of the cap going down on the striker guide. When it was far enough down, the backplate pushed easily OVER the Rim of the anchor and then very easy to pull out when secure. The cap itself made it easy to have a firm grip.
    Hope it works for you. Just a DIY bit of info.

The quickest, easiest and simplest way I've found to take the upper apart is using the Ripley Retractor.

Jewelers screwdriver to make the space between the guide rod and the back plate, insert the retractor to capture the guide rod, striker and spring, the fit the other end over the breech face. Done. Takes 20 seconds. Holds every thing in place while the plate is removed.

Slowly free the breech face side and let the spring expand slowly. Do the reverse to reassemble.

Made from a coat hanger.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

And what do you use to release the back plate? I tried like heck to get mine to move, and it just hung up. Poking around in that little hole to get the tension off the plate never seemed to do much of anything...maybe I was using the wrong implement for that?

I wouldn't go through the process often (my Lakeline striker is already in place), but I suppose it's a good idea to open her up and blow out whatever gunk accumulates in there? Plus, Galloway sells a SS striker guide that seems like a decent upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by King Rat View Post
    Well, My cw380 has been running like a top. I mean perfect with over a thousand rounds with no problems.
    Wow!! Glad you've really taken to your little Kahr!! You have clearly surpassed me in terms of rounds (I'm probably pushing 350-400 at this point), but like you I am very much taken by my little Kahr. Mine is a bit ammo-picky, which I don't love...but it seems to like both Hornady Critical Defense and the Hornady/Underwood XTP rounds, so I have some excellent SD ammo from which to choose.

Quote Originally Posted by boscobarbell View Post
    And what do you use to release the back plate? I tried like heck to get mine to move, and it just hung up. Poking around in that little hole to get the tension off the plate never seemed to do much of anything...maybe I was using the wrong implement for that?

I wouldn't go through the process often (my Lakeline striker is already in place), but I suppose it's a good idea to open her up and blow out whatever gunk accumulates in there? Plus, Galloway sells a SS striker guide that seems like a decent upgrade.
    The little hole in the back plate is deceiving. It's only about half as big as it appears. Takes a very small jewelers screwdriver or a very small pin punch. The actual hole is kind of half mooned. If you don't hit it you accomplish nothing. Sometimes if the plate hasn't been off a little gentle prying is in order the first time or two.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    The little hole in the back plate is deceiving. It's only about half as big as it appears. Takes a very small jewelers screwdriver or a very small pin punch. The actual hole is kind of half mooned. If you don't hit it you accomplish nothing. Sometimes if the plate hasn't been off a little gentle prying is in order the first time or two.
    Oh, that's very helpful. Much appreciated!!

Short of growing a third hand, the retractor is the way to go!

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    This nails it. You just need the right size tool.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

Quote Originally Posted by boscobarbell View Post
    Wow!! Glad you've really taken to your little Kahr!! You have clearly surpassed me in terms of rounds (I'm probably pushing 350-400 at this point), but like you I am very much taken by my little Kahr. Mine is a bit ammo-picky, which I don't love...but it seems to like both Hornady Critical Defense and the Hornady/Underwood XTP rounds, so I have some excellent SD ammo from which to choose.
    Yes, have really enjoyed the CW380, and also have shot the CM with more rounds and again running awesome. Love that gun. I shoot the 380 primary with PrecisionOne ammo. On another note, my Nano should be at the 10,000 rd mark by the end of the month. One of the most reliable guns I have owned. That said, I carry the CM now because of the lighter weight. (When I am not carrying the 380) Beretta has the New APX carry out now, which is just a upgraded Nano. Looks nice, but nothing that makes me want to buy one over the Nano. I have become so use to shooting the Nano, that I would not spend another $400 for a newer model. If anything, I would get another Nano as a Backup. I saw one the other day for around $250. It is built about as rock solid as any Micro 9mm I have run across, and I have shot most of them. I was surprised to see how well the Little CM handled. And of course I love the DAO triggers. Wish the Nano did not have the Glock style Dingus on the trigger. Kahr really got that one right.
    Ps, that little Keltec P32 is still running well.

How are things working out with your guns. Still shooting the RM? I may have mentioned a group of us at my club will pitch in and test different firearms for comparison. We did the Sig 365 a few months ago and most recently the 43X and Mossberg MC1, Sig 320. Have to say the Mossberg was a real surprise. Shot great.
    Last edited by King Rat; 08-03-2019 at 07:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by King Rat View Post
    Yes, have really enjoyed the CW380, and also have shot the CM with more rounds and again running awesome. Love that gun. I shoot the 380 primary with PrecisionOne ammo. On another note, my Nano should be at the 10,000 rd mark by the end of the month. One of the most reliable guns I have owned. That said, I carry the CM now because of the lighter weight. (When I am not carrying the 380) Beretta has the New APX carry out now, which is just a upgraded Nano. Looks nice, but nothing that makes me want to buy one over the Nano. I have become so use to shooting the Nano, that I would not spend another $400 for a newer model. If anything, I would get another Nano as a Backup. I saw one the other day for around $250. It is built about as rock solid as any Micro 9mm I have run across, and I have shot most of them. I was surprised to see how well the Little CM handled. And of course I love the DAO triggers. Wish the Nano did not have the Glock style Dingus on the trigger. Kahr really got that one right.
    Ps, that little Keltec P32 is still running well.

How are things working out with your guns. Still shooting the RM? I may have mentioned a group of us at my club will pitch in and test different firearms for comparison. We did the Sig 365 a few months ago and most recently the 43X and Mossberg MC1, Sig 320. Have to say the Mossberg was a real surprise. Shot great.
    Wow, that's great. If I were ever in the market for another 9mm, I would definitely look at the Nano/ARX. I did just buy a KT PF9, but that is really just to see if I can find a a 9mm to replace my .380s as EDC. I don't dislike the .380 round, but definitely prefer a 9mm. I expect the PF9 to not be very much fun at the range, so if I keep it I will likely just shoot it enough to make sure it works and then carry it. My P380 certainly isn't going anywhere...it and the Seecamp really fit the bill when I want to carry and absolutely nothing else is small enough for that given day/wardrobe.

Terrible news with my RM380...I have a cracked slide, and Remington is refusing to warranty it (they say I voided the warranty when I had the slide refinished....talk about horrible CS! That company really deserves to fold, given all the bad things I've heard about them over the last 10 years). I am attempting to find a used slide so I can keep the pistol running...it really is a great little gun that will shoot whatever you put in it. But I do have lingering doubts about its durability now, although based on internet reports it sounds like my case is really the exception.

I had sold my Glock 42, but as luck would have it (long story) the buyer could never take delivery, so I bought it back. It is a little bigger, obviously, but still only 13 oz. And it really does shoot like a .22. I sold my Pico to fund my P365, and regretted doing so ever since. I'm sure I'll get another one some day, but I've come to like and carry my P380 so much that I don't really NEED one.