Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charter Arms

Default Charter Arms

Even though my CM9 is back running right, I've been carrying my S&W 640 instead. I've been contemplating a .22LR revolver for a while, and when I went back to the 640 it hit me that the Charter Arms Lite snubby in .22 would be a great companion for the J-frame. Light enough to keep in my briefcase in case I felt like a range trip, and cheaper practice ammo than .38 Special.

I took it to the range today to break it in. The trigger is gritty and heavy, but is starting to smooth out a little. The crane is a little tight; it doesn't flop freely like most. And even though the cartridges slip freely into the chambers even after 50 rounds, they are very tight on ejecting. I have to bang the ejector rod on the shooting bench to get them to pop out. No biggie, many .22LR revolvers are like this. The fixed sights are easy to use (since I put white paint on the front ramp) and very similar to the J-frame's. The hammer can bite the web of my hand if I thumb it back when my hand is too high on the grip. Speaking of the grip, it's a gigantic rubber grip, but it feels good. Charter sells the wood "retro" grip that I might get just because it looks cool, but the standard rubber is fine.

Oh, and it's accurate and reliable. It weighs 16.8 oz empty but it's not too light to hold steady when hauling back on the heavy DA trigger. I also like the matte finish - when shooting outside in sunshine, it's annoying when a shiny finish puts a glare on the sights so I can't see.

It came with plastic snap caps, but they got shredded after about 50 dry firings so I left in the last six shells I fired so I can dry fire it and hopefully smooth out the trigger.

I'm quite pleased with it.

I've had a recent hankering (ever notice I get lots of hankerings?). for a Charter Arms Bulldog Pug in 44 spl.
    Our local gun collector association has an article revisiting Elmer Keith (right up there with John Moses Browning in my book) and it rekindled the hankering.
    I had one years ago, back when Charter was like Taurus, they had both good ones and bad ones, a lot of bad ones, but I had a really good one.

Like to get another really good one.

Your smith and your Charter are near clones visually.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    I've had a recent hankering (ever notice I get lots of hankerings?). for a Charter Arms Bulldog Pug in 44 spl.
    Our local gun collector association has an article revisiting Elmer Keith (right up there with John Moses Browning in my book) and it rekindled the hankering.
    I had one years ago, back when Charter was like Taurus, they had both good ones and bad ones, a lot of bad ones, but I had a really good one.

Like to get another really good one.

Your smith and your Charter are near clones visually.
    I've been thinking a lot about a Charter in .40. Ingenious design, and I've got enough 40 to last me a couple of lifetimes, even if I keep feeding my H&Ks at the range.

I kinda want the .44special for the old-school cool look.

Recently acquired a vintage undercover. Serial number is 5 digits, 4xxxx, from my research on the net, 2nd year of production.
    Bluing is pristine, lockup extremely tight, shot very little if any. Trigger is heavy, guessing around 12# in DA, but smooth. The LGS had it on display with a S&W M36 next to it, definitely smaller than a J-frame, maybe about 10%, and lighter weight too. I been going old school the last week or two, carrying a SpeedSix (IMHO the SpeedSix is the perfect .357 carry pistol, one of my best buys, ever) in a OWB Pancake, and the Undercover in an Uncle Mike's #3 pocket holster. Here they are side by side. Sorry, but only have a cheap phone for photos.
    pairpistol.jpg
    NRA Benefactor

Quote Originally Posted by kenemoore View Post
    Recently acquired a vintage undercover. Serial number is 5 digits, 4xxxx, from my research on the net, 2nd year of production.
    Bluing is pristine, lockup extremely tight, shot very little if any. Trigger is heavy, guessing around 12# in DA, but smooth. The LGS had it on display with a S&W M36 next to it, definitely smaller than a J-frame, maybe about 10%, and lighter weight too. I been going old school the last week or two, carrying a SpeedSix (IMHO the SpeedSix is the perfect .357 carry pistol, one of my best buys, ever) in a OWB Pancake, and the Undercover in an Uncle Mike's #3 pocket holster. Here they are side by side. Sorry, but only have a cheap phone for photos.
    pairpistol.jpg
    Interesting....this prompted me to check the s/n on mine. Five digits also but begins with an 8. Not a new purchase. Bought it used but I've owned it since 1971.
    NRA Benefactor

Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
    Even though my CM9 is back running right, I've been carrying my S&W 640 instead. I've been contemplating a .22LR revolver for a while, and when I went back to the 640 it hit me that the Charter Arms Lite snubby in .22 would be a great companion for the J-frame. Light enough to keep in my briefcase in case I felt like a range trip, and cheaper practice ammo than .38 Special.

I took it to the range today to break it in. The trigger is gritty and heavy, but is starting to smooth out a little. The crane is a little tight; it doesn't flop freely like most. And even though the cartridges slip freely into the chambers even after 50 rounds, they are very tight on ejecting. I have to bang the ejector rod on the shooting bench to get them to pop out. No biggie, many .22LR revolvers are like this. The fixed sights are easy to use (since I put white paint on the front ramp) and very similar to the J-frame's. The hammer can bite the web of my hand if I thumb it back when my hand is too high on the grip. Speaking of the grip, it's a gigantic rubber grip, but it feels good. Charter sells the wood "retro" grip that I might get just because it looks cool, but the standard rubber is fine.

Oh, and it's accurate and reliable. It weighs 16.8 oz empty but it's not too light to hold steady when hauling back on the heavy DA trigger. I also like the matte finish - when shooting outside in sunshine, it's annoying when a shiny finish puts a glare on the sights so I can't see.

It came with plastic snap caps, but they got shredded after about 50 dry firings so I left in the last six shells I fired so I can dry fire it and hopefully smooth out the trigger.

I'm quite pleased with it.

That's fine looking brace of revolvers you have there John. As Bawanna mentioned, they match up quite well
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
    I kinda want the .44special for the old-school cool look.

Old school also came in .38 Special and .22 (in this case .22WMRf, but I do have a .22LR cylinder and crane for it).

Quote Originally Posted by kenemoore View Post
    pairpistol.jpg
    You have good taste. I like both of those.
    Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Nice!

Here is the serial number information I found on THR.

The earliest 1st Gen - ~0 to ~19,000 have NO barrel ADDRESS and s/n is on lower right corner on right side of frame. CA company founded in 1964, first production pieces of the Undercover model produced in 1965
    Bridgeport CONN address - ~19000 to ~315,000 1967 - 1969
    Stratford CONN address - ~316000 to ~1,090,000 1970 - ~1991
    All marked as Charter Arms Corporation

2nd Generation - CHARCO, Ansonia Conn adress - 1,090,000 to ??? ~1991 - 1999

3rd Generation - CHARTER 2000 - Shelton Conn - 0 to where ever they are today.
    NRA Benefactor

^^ Thanks for this!
    NRA Benefactor