CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop

Thread: help me love my @#$&!!! CW45

Default help me love my @#$&!!! CW45

I just read Dieter's problems and also need help from those who have been there. I bought a CW45 new and prior to its first firing I stripped it per the instruction manual, cleaned and lubed it per the chart referenced in this forum and then proceeded to break it in with round nose FMJ Rem, Win, and other brass case ammo. No reloads have been put through it. No mods have been done to the gun or the two Kahr brand new mags. I have not tried to use GI or any other substitute mags. The gun has never been dropped or abused in any way. I grip it with a death grip, no limp wrist here! To date, I have shot well in excess of 700 rounds after many trips to the range. I lock the slide back then release it with the slide stop every time; no slingshotting. After each range session it is meticulously cleaned and lubed sparingly. On the plus side, it has loosened up somewhat, but still is the tightest semi-auto I own. Recoil seems much less than with my 1911’s and the ergonomics, quality of fit and finish, and the polymer frame are terrific. On the negative side the problems are: 1 if the mag is loaded with three or four rounds and seated in the frame by a hard slam with the heel of the left hand, the slide often will chamber the round. This happens with both of the mags and is not limited to a specific ammo brand. 2 occasionally the round nose FMJ bullet will not chamber when the slide is released. When it is stripped from the mag it is pushed too high and it locks up on the rear top edge of the barrel. I wanted to use this as a CCW piece, but I won’t trust my life to a gun that has what could be truly fatal flaws. I also don’t want to do amateur gunsmithing. If you have had these problems and have found solutions, please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by 2APatriot View Post
    .... and lubed sparingly. On the plus side, it has loosened up somewhat, but still is the tightest semi-auto I own. Recoil seems much less than with my 1911’s and the ergonomics, quality of fit and finish, and the polymer frame are terrific. On the negative side the problems are: 1 if the mag is loaded with three or four rounds and seated in the frame by a hard slam with the heel of the left hand, the slide often will chamber the round. This happens with both of the mags and is not limited to a specific ammo brand. 2 occasionally the round nose FMJ bullet will not chamber when the slide is released. When it is stripped from the mag it is pushed too high and it locks up on the rear top edge of the barrel. I wanted to use this as a CCW piece, but I won’t trust my life to a gun that has what could be truly fatal flaws. I also don’t want to do amateur gunsmithing. If you have had these problems and have found solutions, please let me know.
    I find it best to lube it my Kahr 45 on the heavy side.

See if your slide stop is engaging the slide fully

If it isn't, see if the slide stop spring is bent or otherwise damaged

Also check to see if any the contact surfaces where the stop and slide meet are rounded.

Does the feed issue happen with both magazines? It might be easier to diagnose if you could post a photo of a stoppage.

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Thanks for the info. Slide stop is fully seated. No rounding of frame, my frame looks just like your photo. Yes, problem occurs with both mags. Next time it jams I will take a pic and send it. It seems to me that perhaps Kahr is so focused on tight tolerances that they are creating problems that could be avoided if they were to lessen those tolerances a bit. I'm not advocating a sloppy pistol with slide rattle, etc. but reading on the form about problems due to very tight chambers, the need to do what some would call a time consuming break-in procedure, and not advocating slingshotting all cause me to think that Kahr might want to take another look at their manufacturing processes.

Go ahead and send it Kahr for repair, if you bought it new. I was a bit disappointed in the turnaround time -around 30 days- but it seems to be fixed now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dieter View Post
    Go ahead and send it Kahr for repair, if you bought it new. I was a bit disappointed in the turnaround time -around 30 days- but it seems to be fixed now.
    I've had to send firearms back to different manufacturers over the years. IMO, 4 to 6 weeks turn around is about the norm. I've been pleasantly surprised by a few that returned quicker than that and disappointed to "almost forgot about it" by some that took longer.
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

I had a P45 that I traded into... no end of problems with that pistol. I finally traded it off... for another 100% reliable and lovely CW9. ...but my heart still yearned for a .45 Kahr.

I bought another used CW9 a few months ago... it has many of the same problems the OP has... the slide will drop if you really seat the mag, and even with FMJ it will nose-up jam the slide once in a while. I, sadly, got in the habit last range session of hitting the rear of the slide with my left palm just to make sure the slide was all the way into battery. Granted, this was with handloads, so I'm not freaking out just yet, but the nightmares of my old P45 are starting to come full circle. I don't intend to carry this piece... it's a range shooter, and currently is in my desk drawer... in case the skwerrels decide an assault through the front door is warranted to get to the box of peanuts I have... but I don't really have any confidence in the feeding reliability of it at this point in time.