Xssights   Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop

Thread: Lehigh or Underwood Xtreme Defense load in CT380?

Default Lehigh or Underwood Xtreme Defense load in CT380?

I specifically purchased a CT380 to use the Lehigh 65gr Xtreme Defense round after looking at ballistics and reviews. Always wanted a thin/compact carry but wasn't sure .380 was gonna cut it until now. I did see that cycling in a Kahr can be an issue and the Underwood website states that can be the case.

Now Lehigh makes its own load 65gr brass cased @ 1,150fps and Underwood makes a load 65gr nickle brass cased @ 1,300fps. Anybody have any experience as to which cycles better in the CT380?

I carry the Lehigh load in my CT380 and it cycles fine. Haven’t tried the Underwood.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

I haven’t tried those brands either, but Hornady Critical Defense runs great through mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    I carry the Lehigh load in my CT380 and it cycles fine. Haven’t tried the Underwood.
    That is what i am looking for first hand experience. This stuff is not cheap.

Have you had any issues with any other ammo? I would try a few different types of range ammo first. If your CT380 is good with those, give the Lehigh load a try.

Stay away from Fiocchi 380 for the Kahr.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    Have you had any issues with any other ammo? I would try a few different types of range ammo first. If your CT380 is good with those, give the Lehigh load a try.

Stay away from Fiocchi 380 for the Kahr.
    Whats the issue with Fiocchi? A store nearby by has Fiocchi Extrema XTPHP .380 ACP 25 rounds for $12 a box. Looked to be a good backup self defense round.

Fiocchi XTP should be fine. I believe that the case rim of the Fiocchi FMJ is too thick causing issues in sliding up under the extractor. Someone correct me please if I mis stated that.
    Kahr P380 x2
    Kahr K9
    Kahr CM45
    Sig P938
    Sig P365 x2
    Sig P322
    1911 Range Officer 9mm
    M&P 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by topgun1953 View Post
    Fiocchi XTP should be fine. I believe that the case rim of the Fiocchi FMJ is too thick causing issues in sliding up under the extractor. Someone correct me please if I mis stated that.
    That's it exactly, IMO.

Just shot a box of Extrema through my P380 on Thurday with no issues at all.

I think Fiocchi buys their nickle casings here in the USA. Their brass casings are imported from Italy, and aren't SAAMI spec.

I reduced the extractor tension on my P380 to 2 lbs, and now it runs Fiocchi (Perfecta) fine. Very clean burning, and a pretty stout load.