Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cant get cw380 sights to move

Welcome to Kahrtalk danm55....As has been said Kahr pistols usually have the tightest sights to move and it will require a sight pusher to do it right...Buy a good one and even with that it might require a penetrating oil soak and some heat from a soldering iron to break it free....Even a gunsmith will have a hard time doing it....I'm on my second PM9 which luckily came factory equipped with Trijicons and required no adjustments for windage...My first PM9 had standard sights and I bought a front night sight from Kahr and took it to a local gunsmith who had done some other work for me to install it but when I picked it up it looked like he had used a sledge hammer and chisel to drive the thing in....It shot fine but looked awful and really bothered me so I not only paid for a bad install, I lost money trading it in....If you want to try it just be patient and take your time with a good pusher tool or pay a good gunsmith to do it....Best of luck to you and let us know how it goes..

Looks like you're serious about this.

In my prior post, I mentioned an inexpensive sight pusher I bought on Amazon. It works well, but it takes a lot more time to get the slide shimmed up to the correct position than it does to actually drive the sight out.

I cut and grind some aluminum shim stock to get the slide positioned correctly. The shims have to be sightly narrower than the slide width, and still allow it to support the slide when cranked tight. You also need the correct height to allow the pusher tab to ride just above the dovetail, and contact the sight fully. This is time consuming, and I do enough sight swaps to make me decide to look for a better way. Not $400 worth, but better than the cheap one I had.

Here it is:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1017290319?pid=354154

Very reasonable price for a quality pusher, and it adjusts perfectly in seconds. Makes sight pushing a piece of cake. No annoying shims to deal with. Graduated markings show how far you've moved the sights too.

Make sure you cover the slide with masking tape at any contact points to protect the finish. I even cut a piece of tape and stick it to the sight where the pusher contacts it.

If you're concerned about any marks on the sight, a cheap Birchwood Casey bluing pen will take care of it.

FWIW, I've found Kahr sights to not be any tougher to push than any other brand of pistol.

Good Luck - hope this works out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed M View Post
    Looks like you're serious about this.

In my prior post, I mentioned an inexpensive sight pusher I bought on Amazon. It works well, but it takes a lot more time to get the slide shimmed up to the correct position than it does to actually drive the sight out.

I cut and grind some aluminum shim stock to get the slide positioned correctly. The shims have to be sightly narrower than the slide width, and still allow it to support the slide when cranked tight. You also need the correct height to allow the pusher tab to ride just above the dovetail, and contact the sight fully. This is time consuming, and I do enough sight swaps to make me decide to look for a better way. Not $400 worth, but better than the cheap one I had.

Here it is:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1017290319?pid=354154

Very reasonable price for a quality pusher, and it adjusts perfectly in seconds. Makes sight pushing a piece of cake. No annoying shims to deal with. Graduated markings show how far you've moved the sights too.

Make sure you cover the slide with masking tape at any contact points to protect the finish. I even cut a piece of tape and stick it to the sight where the pusher contacts it.

If you're concerned about any marks on the sight, a cheap Birchwood Casey bluing pen will take care of it.

FWIW, I've found Kahr sights to not be any tougher to push than any other brand of pistol.

Good Luck - hope this works out for you.
    Ed, I have various universal sight pushers and found they all work to some degree, but I still fall back to punch and hammer quite often. I still hold hope of finding a more versatile pusher and I have been looking at the Wheeler tool for sometime. That it's worked well for you "pushed" me over the edge and I just ordered one from Brownell's. I was pleasantly surprised to find it is on sale there Thanks pusher man!
    Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

I have the Wheeler tool also. It is a very good sight pusher that will do "hard to drift" sights. I've used it on some that are known to be tough and so long as you make sure the slide is lined up perfectly parallel in the tool it will work fine. With some particularly tough sights I have had to use a small brass hammer to tap the steel pusher of the tool itself after first lining the slide up and putting pressure on the sight. Not much of a tap, just enough to get the sight to break free. If you cut some strips from a camping cutting board it will help you to protect the finish on those slides with tough to move sights.

I have not used the Wheeler on my Kahrs because I only have one which needs new sights, and it is one of only 89 MK9 Elite 2000 Elites that Kahr produced and sold to the public. It is finished in black Roguard on the slide and frame and I haven't yet worked up the courage to risk marring the slide. Also though finding night sights with the old dovetail cuts is not easy and that too has "saved" me from taking the plunge and trying it.

But on those that I have used the tool on it has worked very well, and it is one of those that will do both front and rear sights, another plus.

Greg - that's an awesome price from Brownell's. I paid $165 w/free shipping on Amazon.

It's paid for itself several times over (literally), and beats fussing with the shim thing.

I do the same thing as dao for the really tough ones - usually means that some thread locker was involved on installation. A little tap with the plastic tip of a gunsmith hammer breaks things loose easily. Awesome tip for the camping cutting board, BTW.

This is a quality tool, and will last a lifetime. Wheeler guarantees it so. You'll still get to use the ol' hammer and punch for those CZ front sights....

I wanted to feel like one of the boys (and girls AIRret) depending on the day so I ordered a Wheeler too.

Hope it's not as complicated as it looks. I can be simple minded sometimes. I'll go slow and finger it out.

Feel pretty lucky when something I want is also on sale. Life is good.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    I wanted to feel like one of the boys (and girls AIRret) depending on the day so I ordered a Wheeler too.

Hope it's not as complicated as it looks. I can be simple minded sometimes. I'll go slow and finger it out.

Feel pretty lucky when something I want is also on sale. Life is good.

I recently bought one and found it easy to use. If I can use it, you’ll have no problem. Life IS good.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

A friend made this video on Facebook using the Wheeler sight tool.

Keep in mind that Sig sights get pushed out the slide on the opposite side from Glocks and Kahrs...

https://www.facebook.com/80969041606...=2&amp;theater

That was a great help, I'm now very happy I ordered one. Looks like a great set up and should work well.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

/after doing more research i found that kahr sights r impossible to move unless you have a custom made tool. you have to take it to a gunsmith and even then they might not be able to move it. for this reason i would never buy a kahr ever again. if i cant adjust the sight what good is it. mayb if they were sighted in at the factory before i bought it that would be ok but they dont do that. I wish i never bought a kahr. i should bought a ruger or a taurus or a cobra