Crimsontrace   Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wish i never bought a kahr. sight dont adjust and wasnt factory sighted

I never seen anything that won't move. Bigger hammer comes to mind.

I changed my sights out on about 3 Kahrs now. I use a Wheeler Engineering Armorer's Handgun Sight Tool. The front sight is harder to push and install than the rear IMHO, and the rear aren't any different than other dovetail sights on other pistols...

OP, if you regret buying a Kahrs because of their sights, I suggest that you also do not buy a Walthers, Springfield XDs, and S&W M&Ps... I've personally switched out sights on those pistol along with Kahrs, and they're all just about the same tightness and design.

Quote Originally Posted by 340pd View Post
    Pic of the top of the slide showing both sights would be helpful.
    1. At what distance are you shooting?
    2. Where do your shots impact the target?
    3. Where do the shots impact the target when some other competent shoots the offending gun?

If # 2 and #3 produce dramatically different results, I will give you $50 for that obviously defective firearm.
    It's normally the shooter and not the sights. Even more so pronounced when you have a long DA like trigger. I'd wager money that's the case here.

Sometimes the thing to do when you just don't fit your pistol is to trade it for something else that does...I thought I wanted a NAA .22 revolver so I bought one and liked it fine until I tried shooting it and found out I couldn't hit earth with it so I gave up on that and traded it for a Ruger LCP thinking that would work without losing too much money but that thing gave me fits, FTF anything I tried even after much effort at fluff and buff to make it work so gave up and traded for a Beretta Pico .380 which is a great little very slim, carry all day and forget it's in the pocket pistol...Great gun, super small and very accurate for it's size.....If something doesn't work for you don't try a bigger hammer, find another gun that does...

Removing and installing sights is not my strong suit, but I accomplished it on my CM9 with little trouble. No special sight tool required. As said prior...if you cann't, ANY half way decent gunsmith will do it in minutes for you.

Mike you might be surprised at the number of stories that have been told of Kahrs coming back from gunsmiths all marred up. Some/most/a lot of Kahr's sights are pressed in extremely tightly.

High Plains Drifter, stuck in a Lowland swamp called California

Quote Originally Posted by danm55 View Post
    I just got off the phone with the gunsmith at kahr. after trying every method to move my rear sight including penetrating oil heat and a sight adjustment tool i still couldnt get the thing to move at all. The gunsmith told me theyre just normal dovetails and they move em all the time. this is a lie. after doing more research i found that the kahr sights dont move unless you build a custom sight tool. This is an outrage. i could have bought any other gun and not had this problem. I wish i never bought a kahr. what good is a pistol that you can shoot? Im not gonna shoot a gun that cant be sighted in and shoots way off target. i cant wait to find someone to buy this piece of crap. but it looks lijke you cant even give the things away on gunbroker right now. I dont recomend anyone ever buy a kahr until they fix the sight problem. you shouldnt need a gunsmith to adjust a sight.
    I wish I could grant your wish, but alas, my power is weak, and my wallet is flat....what model and caliber are we stuck with anyways?
    23 years in a Federal Penitentiary, 6x8 double bunked rooms with toilets

Quote Originally Posted by dao View Post
    Mike you might be surprised at the number of stories that have been told of Kahrs coming back from gunsmiths all marred up. Some/most/a lot of Kahr's sights are pressed in extremely tightly.
    Just about every gunsmith I have encountered has said Springfield firearms are the ones they hate the most for doing any kind of sight replacement. Smith and Wesson seem to be the easiest. My CZs are hit and miss on the degree of difficulty.....for everything, not only sights. Been told freezing, proper sight tool, a GOOD punch and a hammer (not a sledge Hammer....lol) are keys in most cases. The bad thing on the front sight for installing on most Kahrs (fiber optic installation) is the awful offset tool that the sight comes with. Seen a lot of those "Babba-dized" after destroying the sight trying to secure it to the slide.

I've found Glocks to be the easiest sight swap, and Springfields the toughest - with one notable exception.

My own Tristar C100 front sight (a CZ clone made by Canik).

Canik installs the front sight first, then installs the barrel bushing in the slide, then cerakotes the slide. The barrel bushing bevel extends up beyond the dovetail for the front sight.

Two options here. Remove the barrel bushing first, which wrecks the cerakote, or drive the sight out without removing the bushing, which skims a tiny spot off the top of the bushing.

I chose option 2, and used automotive touch up paint to cover the tiny spot of bare metal visible on the bushing.

This required me to use a large punch - which I made out of 1/2" brass rod, and wound up having to use a 22 oz framing hammer to accomplish the task.

I wouldn't call this "hit or miss" - more like "hit and DON'T miss".

I hadn't noticed that on my Canik but I'll have to take a look at it. Hadn't considered swapping sights as it works well as is. I mostly got it to experiment with red dot sights which I'm not totally on board with but the cops around here have taken to them hook, line and sinker.

Personally I got enough stuff that runs on batteries, not sure I want the sights on my gun to require them.

I got a really good sight pusher specifically for Glocks, just swapped out about 40 sets a few months ago. After the first 4 or 5 it gets pretty easy.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."