Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun   CrossBreed Holsters

Thread: Mag guts and underwood ammo for CW 380

Default Mag guts and underwood ammo for CW 380

Im currently using Federal Hydra shok and American Gunner XTP with stock 6 and 7 rd mags, which lock back on empty... when they feel like it. Id like to have a bit more capacity, better function and a better carry round if possible and Im looking for some feed back on mag gut kits and underwood 102 goldensaber loadings (both std and +p) or federal HST micro which seems to have all over the map results from various pistols... so from CW 380 owners... yea or nay??

Not EXACTLY what you're looking for, but I carry my CW380 and P380 with the MagGuts kits in their 6 round mags, and use Underwood Xtreme Defender 65gr +P with excellent results.

Never had any type of malfunction with this combo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed M View Post
    Not EXACTLY what you're looking for, but I carry my CW380 and P380 with the MagGuts kits in their 6 round mags, and use Underwood Xtreme Defender 65gr +P with excellent results.

Thanks but I really dont see what the point of the defender round is... it doesnt expand but penetrates alot... so does any FMJ. Ill stick with JHP's that expand and meet, or come close to meeting, the FBI standards of 12 to 18 inches in gel

Thought you were interested in how the CW380/MagGuts/ Underwood combination functioned - I do realize the XD bullet is not a hollow point.

Had I known you were going to start an ammo comparison, I'd have probably not answered you. There's plenty of ballistic gel tests on youtube.

Like this one:

And this is why I use the Lehigh Defense XD bullet in the Underwood +P loading:

MagGuts, Underwood XD+P in a CW380 is precisely my EDC combo and it seems good so far. Granted, my testing consisted of just 15 consecutive rounds, but at $1.26 per round I can only afford to do so much testing. I haven't been disappointed yet.

Quote Originally Posted by BubbleHead View Post
    MagGuts, Underwood XD+P in a CW380 is precisely my EDC combo and it seems good so far. Granted, my testing consisted of just 15 consecutive rounds, but at $1.26 per round I can only afford to do so much testing. I haven't been disappointed yet.
    Wow, I'm jealous. My P380 is VERY picky, and it won't handle the Underwood XD in either horsepower, and won't handle the Underwood XTP in +P. So it is usually loaded with the regular Underwood XTP, or the Hornady Critical Defense rounds. Neither are bad choices, but I'd be MUCH happier if those other rounds were an option.

Quote Originally Posted by boscobarbell View Post
    Wow, I'm jealous. My P380 is VERY picky, and it won't handle the Underwood XD in either horsepower, and won't handle the Underwood XTP in +P. So it is usually loaded with the regular Underwood XTP, or the Hornady Critical Defense rounds. Neither are bad choices, but I'd be MUCH happier if those other rounds were an option.
    My gun is still a little picky too, since the slide won't always go into battery when firing my stash of Speer Lawman (the only FMJs I have at the moment, though I've tried others). My gun had over 400 rounds through it plus some extractor work by Kahr, and I did a feed ramp polishing before trying out the Underwoods, so all of that work might or might not factor into it's taking to those weird fluted bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed M View Post

Whoa! Sixty-five grainers? Man, what kind of velocity do you get with those?
    Today is the first day of the rest of your life.

Quote Originally Posted by ct9kahrtoter View Post
    Whoa! Sixty-five grainers? Man, what kind of velocity do you get with those?

65 gr +P.jpg