Magnum Research new   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun   Tommy Gun Shop

Thread: New T40 impressions and question

Default New T40 impressions and question

Hello, all. My new T40 finally came in after a month of wait. I put around 150 rounds through it to test function and break in (100 WWB FMJ 180gr and 50 WWB JHP 180gr). I had a couple notes and a question (question in last paragraph). BTW, I am really liking this model.

I usually pay more attention to functioning, handling w/recoil, and POA/POI issues for the first 300 - 500 rounds. I usually try a few different brands/lines of ammo over the first few range sessions with any one firearm. With that said, I was printing 1-2" three shot groups at 7 yards when I concentrated. The weight, handle width, and overall design made for comfortable shooting, although the kick was considerably more than my K9 loaded with 9mm +P ammo, and comparable to the CW45 with 45ACP +P loads. It is a noticable difference from the CW40 (although I am having issues with the CW40 and will send it in for evaluation).

No FTF or FTE's. The ejection was strong, but I can't tell how erratic since the lanes were small and ejected brass sometimes bounced off of the fiber-like ceiling above the shooters area. Slight firing pin drag noted. My only slight gripe is that the grips get in the way of a fast and easy mag release press. With use, the release seemed easier to use but took more concentration on technique. I might purchase a second set of grips and scallop that edge. Now that I think of it, if I do that I might also try to sand the grips to match the upper back strap area. As is, the wood sticks out from the metal about 1/16" there but isn't noticeable when shooting.

Last, I noticed that my ejected brass had dented sides. It was on all of the 9-10 rounds I picked up to inspect. Is this normal? I didn't notice it on my 9 or 45. If I was to look at the case from the back, with the striker drag going up to 12 o'clock, the dent is at the 3 o'clock position (corresponding with the upside down "W" in the last pic). Please see pic below.

Dented cases and what I call the primer smear are pretty normal.
    Reaching the mag release button is the same for me, I've been meaning to scallop mine as well.

I'll probably leave the original grips and get another set or make another set and thin them down a bit and make the release easier to reach.

My factory grips matched up perfect in the back, some have reported an uneven gap in the back, I've fixed a few of those.

I'll probably be offering up my K40 one of these days, the muzzle flip is just too much for me. It's accurate as heck but too much flip. I thought about putting a K9 top end on it but not sure it's worth is since I have a K9, of course my son might claim it and then I wouldn't...........................sigh.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Dented cases and what I call the primer smear are pretty normal.
    Reaching the mag release button is the same for me, I've been meaning to scallop mine as well.

I'll probably leave the original grips and get another set or make another set and thin them down a bit and make the release easier to reach.

My factory grips matched up perfect in the back, some have reported an uneven gap in the back, I've fixed a few of those.

I'll probably be offering up my K40 one of these days, the muzzle flip is just too much for me. It's accurate as heck but too much flip. I thought about putting a K9 top end on it but not sure it's worth is since I have a K9, of course my son might claim it and then I wouldn't...........................sigh.
    Have you tried the ported barrels? Thanks for the response on the drag and dents. I tried following the link to your website but I don't have flashplayer on my browser. Any suggestions on sanding the wood grips? Do I need to apply remover or can I just sand away?

My MK dents the cases the same way. Nice looking firearm there......................................

Quote Originally Posted by Scott321 View Post
    Have you tried the ported barrels? Thanks for the response on the drag and dents. I tried following the link to your website but I don't have flashplayer on my browser. Any suggestions on sanding the wood grips? Do I need to apply remover or can I just sand away?
    I'd just sand away myself, if you have too much material to remove to match the metal I'd go with a file for a bit till you get close, then switch to sandpaper.
    They have some sort of varnish type finish which is difficult or impossible to match, I usually just go with linseed or tung oil so you'll probably want to sand the finish off the whole grip. If you get into the checkering very much you can send them to me and I'll recut the checkering. If you go to that much effort you might as well scallop the mag release the way you want while you got the file out. A half round file and a couple minutes should fix ya right up.

I hardly ever look at my website, a former cyber bride here created it for me and did a fine job, I don't give it the attention it deserves, should update some new pics and stuff but I always struggle trying to remember how to do that stuff.
    A few others said they had trouble looking at it, it seemed to work fine for me. Maybe I just got lucky.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    I'd just sand away myself, if you have too much material to remove to match the metal I'd go with a file for a bit till you get close, then switch to sandpaper.
    They have some sort of varnish type finish which is difficult or impossible to match, I usually just go with linseed or tung oil so you'll probably want to sand the finish off the whole grip. If you get into the checkering very much you can send them to me and I'll recut the checkering. If you go to that much effort you might as well scallop the mag release the way you want while you got the file out. A half round file and a couple minutes should fix ya right up.

I hardly ever look at my website, a former cyber bride here created it for me and did a fine job, I don't give it the attention it deserves, should update some new pics and stuff but I always struggle trying to remember how to do that stuff.
    A few others said they had trouble looking at it, it seemed to work fine for me. Maybe I just got lucky.
    If you ever decide to try a new one, Wordpress has some handy templates and is free as long as "wordpress" is kept in the address. I think Google has a similar service but is more limited. I think many browsers dropped Flashplayer because of security issues, this is the issue I have with viewing the site. I tried accessing it from my desktop with Chrome and Firefox to no avail.

Quote Originally Posted by berettabone View Post
    My MK dents the cases the same way. Nice looking firearm there......................................
    Thanks!