Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen   Xssights   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: will Kahr ever make a double stack?

Ed M said:
    "Higher capacity is all the rage nowadays, but Kahr got the whole concept of small conceal carry guns right a long time ago...."
    I agree with Ed's comment. When I went looking for the best choice in a small easily concealable 9mm handgun..Kahr was the hands-down winner at that time.
    If I were starting the shopping process today...I'm not sure I would end up making the same decision.
    What's changed..??? This may sound a bit foolish to some, but here goes:
    My interest in carrying a concealed handgun has historically been based upon my need to protect myself or another from "death or grevious bodily injury" in a narrow encounter with bad actors committing a simple felonious assault. For a little background, I've conducted combat operations on three continents and have never wished for LESS ammunition.
    As I look around today, I have to consider the possibility of using my concealed carry weapon to engage a heavily armed insane "mass shooter". To that end, I have been revising my thinking and taking another look around at carry options. Not sure where this is going yet, and I know I'm opening a big can of worms even bringing it up but there it is.

Count me in that minority, too. Practical or not, I think a 10-round Kahr in a CW9 size package would sell like hotcakes. I also think the Kahr .45 grip outside dimension may accommodate that, and also provide better control than a thinner grip.

One reason I see given for disliking Shields is the grip is too thin to shoot well.

The only issue I see with Kahr right now is the difficulty in racking the slides. I believe that they would sell more firearms if this weren't the case. I will probably be forced to find a different carry gun because of this fact along with arthritis and hand strength...……………………………………………………...

Here in N central Fl a Kahr in a LGS or pawn shop is rare. Most owners jump down your throat asking why not buy a "real" firearm that comes from the factory ready to shoot and has better fit and finish. Truth is...that is how many fell that have never owned and taken the time and extra $$$ to break a Kahr in if needed when they buy one. I was frustrated with my CW380 that I almost decided not to try the larger CM9. That decision would have been a real bad one as my CM9 is my EDC and a great firearm. My CZs are still my overall favorite.... just something about them critters! There are many things that Kahr can do to improve the existing firearms they sale...rather see that than a double stack.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed M View Post
    Higher capacity is all the rage nowadays, but Kahr got the whole concept of small conceal carry guns right a long time ago....
    I did a happy dance when I shot my K9 for the first time after having purchased it new about a year ago. I CC it strong side in a Mitch Rosen thumb break holster, and I shoot it a lot (124 gr. Speer GD +P, most often). Wood grips provide the final, perfect touch (for me).

(For a double stack, I have my .357 Sig X-Changed M11-A1--which shoots my favorite caliber.)

Please, please, please, Kahr Inc, do NOT mess with the K9!

rx7sig

It could be a K10

Quote Originally Posted by berettabone View Post
    The only issue I see with Kahr right now is the difficulty in racking the slides. I believe that they would sell more firearms if this weren't the case. I will probably be forced to find a different carry gun because of this fact along with arthritis and hand strength...……………………………………………………...
    ^^^^^This right here. My LGS owner really likes Kahr's build quality, ease of shooting, and ability to conceal them.

People just have a hard time racking the slide. He carried some Kahr value series models recently, and couldn't give them away. I bought a couple out of guilt for talking him into carrying Kahr again after he ran into this issue in the past.

The S&W 380 EZ has been very popular for ladies and a lot of men for this very reason. This is a very real issue that Kahr is going to have to address if they want to capture a larger market share. Name a 9mm CCW that is harder to rack than a Kahr....

Not for everyone, or every application (eg iwb without a sweat shield), but Arachnigrips make a big difference with racking the slide. Kind of pricey but they last a long time and even look good.

That being said, if Sig can make a doublestack mag that fits in something less then a doublestack grip I think Kahr could too. And they would almost certainly tap into a bigger customer base by doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
    Count me in that minority, too. Practical or not, I think a 10-round Kahr in a CW9 size package would sell like hotcakes.
    I have been advocating such a Kahr in this forum since last year - as long as Justin can keep the gun at the same dimensions, but perhaps with the “Covert” slide & barrel.
    A couple of more ounces of weight for a 10+1 would not bother me.
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by Ed M View Post
    ^^^^^This right here. My LGS owner really likes Kahr's build quality, ease of shooting, and ability to conceal them.

People just have a hard time racking the slide. He carried some Kahr value series models recently, and couldn't give them away. I bought a couple out of guilt for talking him into carrying Kahr again after he ran into this issue in the past.

The S&W 380 EZ has been very popular for ladies and a lot of men for this very reason. This is a very real issue that Kahr is going to have to address if they want to capture a larger market share. Name a 9mm CCW that is harder to rack than a Kahr....
    I have arthritis in my off hand thumb joint. Flares up especially when I reload. Pinching seems to bother it. I have learned to rack the slide in all my guns using the Arm/elbow technique and never a problem with hard to rack slides. In fact it is just natural for me. Wish I had a video to demonstrate. My SR9C has a strong recoil spring and no problems with that, and my Nano's also have strong springs and no slide Lock and no problems. Actually find it the fastest way to rack a slide. At least for myself. I also use barbells every other day to develop the muscles around the wrist and arm to keep the adjoining muscles strong.
    If a bad flare up occurs, I will use a thumb brace. Also I have been on a anti inflammatory diet for a long time which helps alot.
    That said, I understand some folks have it pretty bad. And I would most definitely look at the EZ

Ed, you are correct. I did have a chance to shoot the EZ and it is EZ.