CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun   Tommy Gun Shop

Thread: Trigger creaking?

Default Trigger creaking?

I just bought a new CP9. I plan to take it to the range for the break-in tomorrow.

I noticed a certain lack of smoothness in the trigger return spring that wasn't in my P9. It's like six or seven little ticks as the trigger is pulled. It does this even when the slide is removed, so I'm pretty sure it's in the compression of the trigger return spring. (When the slide is off there is no other force for the trigger to overcome in moving the transfer bar to the rear.)

The sound and feel reminds me of the sound and feeling when winding an old-fashioned spring-driven wrist watch (but with with the ticks coming slower).

I do not expect this to affect the functioning of the pistol. And when firing for real I probably won't notice it, just as I was able to feel lots of little nudges and bumps in my Smith & Wesson double-action revolver when dry-firing -- but did not notice them at all while qualifying.

But is there a possibility the trigger spring was assembled incorrectly? Or is this simply because the "value line" of pistols are not quite as refined and polished?

I suspect it's the trigger bar spring riding a rough spot on the trigger bar.
    You can remove the side inspection plate on the right side and you'll see the trigger bar and spring.
    You can take some fine sand paper and a popsicle stick or a small stone if you have one and clean it up nice and smooth and I'm sure your problem will go away.
    Over time it will probably go away by itself with wear but I didn't like it much myself. My new T9 had the same issue so it's not a value line thing at all.

I don't remember the size of the torx screw but it's like a 10 I think. Easy fix. Let us know how it works out.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I’ve had that happen on two CW9s. It doesn’t affect function. With ear muffs on, I don’t notice it.

As others have said, it is not uncommon, and it will smooth with time.

My P38p does this. My MK9 does not. It’s the spring.