Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace

Thread: Desert Eagle Front Sight Heights

Default Desert Eagle Front Sight Heights

Magnum Research Customer Support informs me that the newer Desert Eagle Slides have rear sight dovetails that have been set higher than previous, necessitating the higher front sights.

827B1598-7403-492C-8338-CEA80B4D67F8.jpg

Older front sights have a blade height of 0.2095", while newer ones have a height of 0.2605".

In addition - they indicate that the newer front sights are (meant to be?) filed down for adjustment.

Have any of you done so on your pistols (and what's the best way)?
    Last edited by The Glockodile; 10-31-2021 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Glockodile View Post
    Magnum Research Customer Support informs me that the newer Desert Eagle Slides have rear sights dovetails that have been set higher than previous, necessitating the higher front sights.

Older front sights have a height of 0.2095", while newer ones have a height of 0.2605".

In addition - they indicate that the newer front sights are (meant to be?) filed down for adjustment.

Have any of you done so on your pistols (and what's the best way)?
    I've not done this on a DE, but have on various other pistols. I'll not say that I have the best ways of doing it, but I have achieved the results I desired.

First off, filing down a front sight raises the point of impact in relation to point of aim.

That takes me to the first method I use:
    My Ruger New Vaquero was shooting low at 10 yards with the load I like for it. So I set off to the range with it, the ammo I wanted to regulate it's sights for, and a file. At the range, I establish my point of aim at ten yards and use that hold for all shots. In the photo below, my first shots were low, so I taped them over, filed the front sight down bit, and fired another group. I repeated this until I was satisfied with how the Vaquero shot.

The front sight on the Vaquero is thin, so it's not very difficult to file it down (while keeping it square) at the range.

On other guns, I make a range trip and shoot a group with the load I want, at the distance I want. Then I measure how far the center of that group is from where I was aiming at. Back home, I plug the info into a calculator such as these: https://www.brownells.com/aspx/learn...aspx?lid=13093 and http://www.sdmfabricating.com/sightcalc.html to find the amount of correction needed. I measure the front sight (from top of sight to top of slide or barrel), then subtract the amount of correction needed from that measurement to give me the height I need to file the sight down to. I usually take off a little less than the math says and do another range trip.

I use cold blue to touch up as needed.

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

That's what I'm doing with my Vaquero as well. They aren't real big on filing at the indoor range I have to use so I'm making multiple trial and error range trips.
    Might just take it out to my van next time and file a bit out there. Want to get it dialed in.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Thanks for the suggestions.

It really makes me wonder if there are some rather serious QC issues at Kahr / Magnum Research at the moment...

I don’t have the ability to post attachments yet, but I do have some pictures demonstrating how grossly off these new front sights are.

CF688548-F82C-40F4-8750-17F4024870B0.jpg

Chronograph go kabloooey!

82BEFB5E-4E24-4A53-A01F-F85E7F41F926.jpg

Top Pistol - newer, taller front sight.

Bottom Pistol - older, shorter sight.

If they were equal in height, each front sight would touch the opposing barrel.

BA24AC20-3452-47D1-B239-060D26D5BB41.jpg

I tried the “gunsmith” route, too.

Despite having provided proper measurements and instructions to match the original contour - he just did what he thought would pass off as adequate, and took no height measurements at all.

’Murica!!!