Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun

Thread: CW45 + which Galco Lite Shoulder Holster?

Default CW45 + which Galco Lite Shoulder Holster?

Looking on the Galco website, they list a Lite SH for the CW9/CW40. However, since the CW45 is slightly thicker, I was wondering if the Galco Lite SH for the glock 26 might be a better fit (different model) or any other version? One review on Amazon suggests that the CW45 works fine in the CW40 holster. I am not asking opinions on whether a SH is a good or bad choice for CCW.

Update 10/02/2019: I purchased the Galco Classic Lite Shoulder System for the CW40 (CL290) and the CW45 fits just fine. Time for holster break-in required. Side note - wearing it high under armpits and it doesn't flop around at all. It's new, so I want to see how the straps feel after a few weeks of use, although I might not use it that often until sweater weather returns.

Update 10/9/2019: I've been wearing the holster for a few days. Other than adjusting and readjusting as the leather starts forming to my body and figuring out where the "x" tends to navigate to I am pretty happy with this option. Some notes...

First, after the holster broke in to fit my CW45, my Kahr 40's were loose (so I would purchase another one and break it in with one of the 40's if I wanted to carry them). Second, I think that this is compatible with Galco's multiple magazine carriers. I might purchase a double 1911 magazine carrier for their Miami Classic or Miami Classic 2 and replace the single mag carrier on this system. Third, I do wish the straps were a little wider, but it's not that big of a deal. Last, my lats are relatively wide for my body, so if I adjust the holster too high under the armpit the pistol grip flairs out from my chest (towards my arm). It's slightly noticable with the single magazine holder, but I don't know if it would be more pronounced on the magazine side if I were using the double magazine setup.

Now that sweater weather is starting, I've been switching between this and a 66-8 in a 3 o'clock OWB holster. That position is by far the most comfortable for me (compared to IWB and the shoulder holster), but the shoulder holster is needed for those days where activities require all sorts of bending, crawling, lieing on the ground, etc. where 3-5 o'clock IWB/OWB isn't a good option.

Update 11/5/2019: So, I've been wearing the SH system a lot since the last update. A few days ago I thought I'd try altering the configuration of the Galco Classic Lite SHoulder Holster system. I switched the shoulder straps for the Galco 2.5" and switched the single mag pouch for the horizontal dual pouch for 1911 magazines. The Lite CW40 holster is compatible with these (and other) straps.

The 2.5" straps are much more comfortable. The Lite's shoulder straps would find their way in between my pectoral and shoulder muscles and create slight discomfort throughout the day. The 2.5" straps do a better job of staying out of that area. The horizontal dual magazine pouch works pretty well, although the design means that the two magazines are held at different tensions if you want them both facing the same way (rounded side of the magazine vs square side against the tension screw). I am very satisfied with this setup and don't forsee any further modifications.

One side note: I tried this CW40 Classic Lite holster with my TP45 and DO NOT recomend using it with the TP45. Although the CW45 works just fine, the TP45's front site rests outside of the holster and can snag a little during the draw (although I didn't notice a snag when testing, I could induce a snag when trying to do so). YMMV.
    Last edited by Scott321; 09-01-2021 at 06:04 PM.

Newegg has a shoulder holster for the CW/P 45 that looks similar to the Galco lite:
    https://www.newegg.com/p/0FR-015H-00231

FWIW, my CW45 fits quite well in a leather holster by FIST for the Glock 26/27, but it does not have a retention strap so I've no idea how that would work out.
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    Newegg has a shoulder holster for the CW/P 45 that looks similar to the Galco lite:
    https://www.newegg.com/p/0FR-015H-00231

FWIW, my CW45 fits quite well in a leather holster by FIST for the Glock 26/27, but it does not have a retention strap so I've no idea how that would work out.
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'm just trying to square away EDC options for winter considering the activities I need to do throughout the Winter. Since Galco seems to have decent reviews, I thought I'd give this carry style a try. If it works out I will probably order the shoulder holster from Kramer Leather (probably for another firearm).

Updated original post. CW45 fit fine in the Galco Classic Lite Shoulder Holster for the CW40 (CL290)

Thanks for the update!
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Updated original post again. Mentioned swapping out SH straps and magazine pouch.

Many years ago I wore nothing but a Miami Classic, the model with the wider straps. Did fine for along time and then it just started getting into my shoulder really bad and caused a lot of pain.
    Even then many were turning up their nose at shoulder holster carry, pointed at the guy behind you and all that but I found it was a great carry system and until the pain issues I really liked it.
    I also used to carry cross draw all the time and found it worked well for me and my job at the time. Also frowned upon by many gun guru's and instructors. Since my 6 pack abs turned into 1 keg the cross draw wasn't quite as effective.
    So it's 3 oclock straight up for me either IWB which I used to hate but now love or OWB in my Mernickle which is the best most comfortable thing I've found.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."