Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun   Xssights
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cm9 vs cw9

Default Cm9 vs cw9

Hello all, new guy with questions. I know this horse has probably been beat to death more than a few times, but here we go again. A bit of background about my carry habits, I usually carry a S&W 642 J Frame IWB or a Ruger LCP in my pocket. I'm very comfortable with this carry. Then I thought maybe I ought to move into this century and start carrying a single stack 9mm like the rest of the world. So i purchased a S&W Shield 9mm. Great gun, no problems, shoots great, I just can't carry it. It feels too big, but even worse, it feels heavy, dragging down my pants. So the Shield has other duties at my house now, I think this may be my opportunity to to talk my self into buying a Kahr 9mm. So I'm looking at CW9, when stacked up against the Shield, the CW9 looks like the measurments are relatively close except weight, the CW9 is three ounces less than the Shield. I'm not sure the three ounces would do it in making a big difference. I like the idea of 7+1 and a three finger grip, this will be an IWB carry. So now I'm looking closer at the CM9. The CM9 is better than a half inch shorterin length and hight and five ounces lighter at 15.9 ounces getting real close to my J Frame weight. But I would loose the three finger grip, but could add a magazine grip extender. I would loose the 7+1, but I could install Mag Guts add a round kit to the magazine and have the 7+1. What do you think, anybody here have experience in something similar. Just looking for some advice form the gurus here.

thanks
    VF7

Hello Victor,
    I'd highly recommend looking into getting the S9 instead. It is essentially the same as the CW9 but you get some nice upgrades and it is much better looking. It's really in-between the value series and the premium series.

After much consideration I purchased one about 4 months ago and love it. The .90 width and weight makes it very comfortable to carry. I had a Bersa Bp9cc which is only slightly larger/heavier then the Shield and let me tell you, the smaller frame of the S9 and being 3oz lighter made a huge difference as a ccw. I also had a Bersa Thunder 380cc which is a fairly small and light pistol but even it didn't carry as well as this S9. I can carry the S9 all day long whereas the Bersa's just felt bulky/heavy.

One other thing, although it is slightly larger than the CM9 the additional weight makes for a less snappy and more accurate gun. You get the extra round at no cost also.

Good luck,
    Ralph

If you plan to carry IWB I'd go with the CW or the S9 (although I have no first hand experience with it).
    IWB you won't notice the extra length of the grip.

It seems every one buys a super compact pistol and then add mag extensions to make it like a larger gun.
    The plus side I guess is you can make the compact small again if needed.

Just my personal opinion not worth the cyber space I took to write but I'd go with the larger gun.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I have essentially both, a CW9 and a PM9. I choose to carry the CW9 as it conceals just fine with my usual shorts and t-shirt.
    I have to ask, what type of belt are you using. I've shot the shield before and it doesn't seem like it should be a problem carrying. I've personally gone through a couple of belts and ended on the Kore gun belt. Really like it, so far. Can't beat a solid, stiff, quality gun belt.

I like my CM9 so much, I am thinking about getting another. Saw your post and it got me to thinking about another size. Hard to beat the CM. I mean this is a 9mm close to size and weight of a some 380's and so mild to shoot. I have a size large hand and it fits just fine. Do I really want to give up that extra concealment, weight and size. To me, extra ounces Count, especially when carrying all day. I think I will stick with the CM, at least until I pull the trigger. Thanks for the question.

https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/...m9-vs-kahr-cw9

I have both the Shield and the CM9. The CM9 does feel significantly smaller and lighter IWB. However, I shoot the Shield so much better and am more confident in my abilities with it that I tend to carry it more often. I will second the comment about having a good belt, it makes a difference.

Wow, I'm getting a lot of advice here. Ralph, I have seen reviews of the S9, seems like a souped up CW9, looks pretty sweet. Browsing local gun shops online I found one for $345. I will keep this one on my radar also. Bawannas, looks like another vote for the larger gun. JinRC, you chose the smaller frame, do you pocket carry, do you have the grip extension? As far as belts, I have four gun belts, one of them apparently shrunk and I don't use it anymore, who would have thought a belt would shrink just hanging in the closet, but the others work well. I have a BladeTech belt that's similar to the Kore ratchet type, use it a lot, but also use my Daltech for my every day belt. King Rat, you also chose the CM9, Same questions for you about the pocket carry and grip extension? Bassgunner, You chose the CM9, do you have the grip extension? you say you can shoot your Shield better, I assume because of weight and grip length. Thanks folks for all the input. I guess I'm just spoiled to carrying a J Frame all these years, everyone that has a Shield has no problem toting it. So far I have two votes for CW9/S9, and three votes for CM9/PM9. keep the advice pouring in.
    Thanks.
    VF7

Here is my thinking...………….have owned and carried several Airweight 38s--637-442-642-638-438, have owned and carried three different Shield9's,all version 1.0, have owned and carried Glock in models 33{.357sig),27(40s7w},26{9mm)………….all of the guns mentioned were pocket carried. I have now carried my CM9 for one year now and without any hesitation, I can say that "safe" pocket carry is better with the CM9, it disappears in my jeans pocket, it has been 100% reliable, and I shoot it much more accurately than ANY of the afore mentioned guns which I attribute to the combination of the sights (82 year old glaucoma eyes) and the Kahr trigger(82 year old arthritis fingers). I actually didn't shoot the Shield very well at all. OK , I'll hush now.
    "No Matter Where You Go----There You Are !!"

I see an issue here. With a proper holster and belt, a Shield should definitely not be tugging down your trousers. I've carried firearms that were much heavier than a Shield with no problems, and I'm not a large person. I carried an M&P .40 compact. I carried an MK9 in my front pocket for years, with suspenders. With a belt, it would have dumped the trousers. For me, a CM9 in a front pocket would still be a bit heavy for a belt. It sounds to me like you've already got the front pocket thing covered with the J frame and the Elsie Pea. You can't get much lighter than an LCP. You got spoiled by the front pocket carry, and now, everything else feels heavy. It happened to me, but I have the proper belt and holster for me now, and everything is peachy...…………….so I would go with the larger/CW firearm. There's nothing wrong with what you are pocket carrying now, and with the right ammo, you shouldn't feel under gunned. I never used or use mag extensions. They get in the way, and if that extra bullet or two makes that big of a difference, well it just wasn't my day I guess. You would be better off skipping the extensions and just carrying extra mag/mags ​IMHO. I don't think you'll be pocket carrying the CW. 3 ozs. is a big difference in a pocket carry, on the belt, not so much. If I chose the CW, I would put flat mag bases on. I have also gotten away from the front pocket, and have been using a Remora holster. To me, much better than a conventional IWB holster, but I know, not for everybody.

Adding to what berretta said about the CW9 (or the S9), you could put the Magguts spring system in the magazine to make it an 8+1.
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling