Crimsontrace   Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Will this get my wife to go to the range more often?

This will get her there FAR QUICKER......
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Life Member NRA"
    I am addicted to brake fluid...don't worry I can STOP at anytime!

NOT bad mouthing the 380acp cartridge by any means. Have and have had a number of them. My Bersa Thunder is still one of my favorite. My CW380....well not even close as I like my CM9. But why with the number of smaller 9mm handguns avail why are they still so popular? The disadvantages are, snappy recoil, high price for ammo, many hard to manually rack (not the EZ or LCP I will say) mag capacity and yet they still sell like hotcakes. It is like my wife and her .32 Mag revolver....ammo costs are insane compared to a 38 special. No difference in size and sure .32 long does not have the kick a 38 has but the .32 mag comes close. I go to the range and seems like there is always a person there with a new 380acp shooting it for the first time. I just find it amazing they are still so popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_usn_ret View Post
    NOT bad mouthing the 380acp cartridge by any means. Have and have had a number of them. My Bersa Thunder is still one of my favorite. My CW380....well not even close as I like my CM9. But why with the number of smaller 9mm handguns avail why are they still so popular? The disadvantages are, snappy recoil, high price for ammo, many hard to manually rack (not the EZ or LCP I will say) mag capacity and yet they still sell like hotcakes. It is like my wife and her .32 Mag revolver....ammo costs are insane compared to a 38 special. No difference in size and sure .32 long does not have the kick a 38 has but the .32 mag comes close. I go to the range and seems like there is always a person there with a new 380acp shooting it for the first time. I just find it amazing they are still so popular.
    I think they have renewed their popularity is the quality of new ammo offerings making them nearly as effective as 9MM and 38sp. A little time with YouTube ammo testers was a total surprise for me.
    "Never pet a burning dog"

The reason that the .380 firing firearms are so popular is because many of them weigh UNDER 11 ozs!!!!!!!!! They are the smallest. They drop in your pocket(with a holster of course). When you carry them, you don't even know they are there. They are convenient, easy, and I wouldn't feel under gunned in a situation if I carried one. There's only about 4 or 5 different ammo types/manufacturers that I personally would use for carry. .380 ammo is basically the same as it's always been. There is some of what I refer to as "gimmick" ammo out there in .380 that I wouldn't waste my time with. I've seen many ballistics tests and the round can be as effective as 9mm or .38 special. My wifey just moved down from 38/357 to .380. I feel like if that's what it takes to get her to carry more than what she does now, it's a win. She was just too uncomfortable with larger firearms. She wasn't really recoil sensitive, and doesn't have a flinch. It was a weight and comfort thing. The popularity of mouse guns will probably continue like gangbusters. People look for that convenience, ease of use. Men can carry larger firearms easier than women due to body shape and strength. Do I carry a .380????????? No, my idea of convenience is .40 cal. or .357. It's like what 340 said...………..If doing certain things gets your spouse to go with .380 in a smaller or easier package, then you have to go with it.

My wife carries a little 638 Smith and Wesson, doesn't shoot enough but she always has it with her.
    Went to the doc Monday and forgot to disarm so when I found out I was gonna have to take off my jacket to get a shot in the shoulder (no I didn't cry nor did I get a sucker?) I asked how big her purse was and handed her my new to me Wilson full size 1911. She mumbled what a honker. I love them both so much her and the Wilson. It fit.

I get a chuckle out of all the conversations, the 9 with modern ammo will almost equal the 45, guess it took em 100 years to catch up. Now we have the 380 that will almost equal the 9.

I'm waiting for advances in the 22 long rifle that almost make it a 44 magnum and then by gawd I'm gonna grab me one, maybe two.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Be careful what you wish for...…………………..can you imagine paying $1.50 a round for .22 cal.?????????

Better the 380 in my pocket than the 45 at home in the safe.

.380 Mouse guns are here to stay. Small, light, and some are very reasonably priced. Around these parts, an old style Ruger LCP can be in you pocket for under $200, tax included.

Downside, a lady I know, decided to get her first pistol, clerk talked her into a LCP. She can't shoot it, too snappy for a first time shooter. She bought it because it was small and light. Thought it would shoot like on TV, no recoil. Was going to get her carry permit, and carry in her purse. In SC you have to hit a profile target, most of the time, to qualify. Can't qualify with it.

Now she is $200 poorer, and still had no means of self defense.

But....As my old pal used to say, "It's better than a pointy stick".
    NRA Benefactor

I introduced my wifey to shooting handguns a bit differently than most I guess. Her first foray in to shooting was with a Beretta 92. Not a lot of rounds but probably 100 or so. Then we went to a Beretta 96. Probably about the same amount of rounds. Not all in one session. The recoil of the 92 was ok for her, seeing her reaction. The 96 was tolerable for her, but I could tell that she didn't want a new friend. I was surprised that after the first few shots, a flinch that she had went away. I think that once she found out that it may be uncomfortable, but wasn't scary, it was all good. Then she got her first carry firearm, a revolver. She didn't really care for all of the mechanics of the semi's and wanted simple so she could concentrate on shooting. .38 special was a comfortable round for her, .357, a few, and she was done with those, but once again, she felt the recoil of the .357 and was ok with it for a few shots. That all started 8+ years ago. Now she goes full circle and is going to own a .380 mouse gun. Not because of recoil, or bullet size, or mechanics. Convenience……….and she feels that the .380 is enough for self protection. I'm proud of the fact that she never developed a flinch. I take just a tad of credit for starting her out shooting in the way I did. It worked for us. She's definitely not a range rat, but you can see that when she is handling a firearm, she's not treating/holding it like new born infant. I've seen that look in other women when handling a firearm. It's that I immediately want to hand it back look. I find it humerous

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    My wife carries a little 638 Smith and Wesson, doesn't shoot enough but she always has it with her.
    Went to the doc Monday and forgot to disarm so when I found out I was gonna have to take off my jacket to get a shot in the shoulder (no I didn't cry nor did I get a sucker?) I asked how big her purse was and handed her my new to me Wilson full size 1911. She mumbled what a honker. I love them both so much her and the Wilson. It fit.

I get a chuckle out of all the conversations, the 9 with modern ammo will almost equal the 45, guess it took em 100 years to catch up. Now we have the 380 that will almost equal the 9.

I'm waiting for advances in the 22 long rifle that almost make it a 44 magnum and then by gawd I'm gonna grab me one, maybe two.

I enjoy all the "which caliber is the best manstopper" stuff and I always assumed bigger and heavier is better. Then I read this interesting article from Massad Ayood's files,

Snipit,

"Raymond Maddox did not survive. Autopsy showed he had been hit by 17 of Gramins’ 230-gr. Speer Gold Dot .45 hollowpoints. Some had hit extremities, including upper limbs as the officer’s bullets tracked up the gunman’s arms while he was firing at the cop. But Maddox had also been hit in one kidney, both lungs … and the heart. All three of Gramins’ last carefully braced, precisely aimed shots had indeed hit the head, but two had smashed into his face and only the last had pierced the brain and ended the fight."

https://americanhandgunner.com/the-a...f-tim-gramins/
    "Never pet a burning dog"