Xssights   Tommy Gun   Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How often do you shoot? Tell us your practice regimen.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default How often do you shoot? Tell us your practice regimen.

I generally shoot every week.....I think last week was the first week since November that I didn't go to the range. I started this after I was attacked by a deranged man last summer and although I did not have to fire, it really changed my views on a lot of things.

One of those things was that I hadn't shot any handgun at all in two years and that needed to change.

I have a membership with a local indoor range and I can go there whenever I want for as long as I want to stay. I get to keep my brass and can use my own targets. I can even bring a guest at no charge if I keep them in my lane. I have done this once so far but intend to do it more.

I generally shoot 50 to 200 rounds per visit of both practice and carry ammo. I make sure practice ammo shoots to point of aim with my sights, something I do with any carry ammo. This is something of an expensive testing practice so I keep detailed written records on what round hits where with what weapon.

What about you guys?

Hit the range tonight. About 70 rounds Speer Gold Dot 230 grain JHP through my CW 45, mostly using Wilson Combat 8-round 1911 mags. Those generally function perfectly and even locked the slide back most of the time.

50 rounds of 9mm Parabellum 124 grain Sellier & Bellot FMJ through the P9 Covert.

All my groups could be covered with my palm, even out to 15 yards. I still have a flinch sometimes though. Have to iron that out!

2 years ago I went at least weekly and shot about 1000 rounds a month. I was working working on some technique back then. Now it’s probably 2 to 3 Times a month and about 500 to 600 rounds per month.

I prefer going to my favorite outdoor range late in the day when mostly no one is there. Then there are no rules and I can shoot standing, from behind cover, walking forward, backward, sideways, etc. plus it’s free if you have a fishing license.

I’ll go to the indoor range in a pinch if I just can’t make it to the outdoor one but it cost too much and there are too many range rules and other people with guns that... well let’s say they scare me sometimes the way they handle a firearm.

On firearms I usually shoot my carry gun and then rotate to something for fun. Side note on CZ handguns. They are the only gun I can not shoot for 2 years and pick it up and look like I’m good. Shot the Rami Saturday after 2 years and the first 10 rounds were a silver dollar size group at 10 yards. When I focus it’s even better. Man, I love CZ...
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

I am trying to thin down my herd to save money on ammo....to many different calibers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vc1wUx0QVs
    "Life Member NRA"
    I am addicted to brake fluid...don't worry I can STOP at anytime!

When I was in my 20's and 30's I used to go every week, a couple hundred rounds each shooting. Started slowing down a bit on that until CCW started. Then it was once a month a couple hundred rounds. A couple different calibers. Now, I carry a totally different firearm, priorities change, and I'm more concerned about bad people than punching holes in targets. Now, it's a couple hundred rounds every few months maybe more. Some .38 special, a bit of .357 and the rest .40 cal. To stay consistent and valid for defensive purposes. It's not a cheap "hobby" either. I don't pay those fees for indoor ranges. It always feels like your rushed unless you stay for a few hours, and that costs more than the ammo your using. Half of these indoor ranges want you to buy and use their ammo. Are you kidding me?????? I much prefer shooting outdoors. I especially like shooting my H&K in .40. Just puts a confident smile on my face. I like watching the wife shoot it on occasion. Then I get to see the power first hand. It's my personal favorite, with XS Dot sights, oversize mag release, and Limbsaver grip. I have the luxury of being able to go up nort and fire off a few in the back yard, or off of the deck. Love shooting my revolver also...………………....

This is encouraging stuff to read! I like these replies quite a bit. "1000 rounds a month?" I am not worthy sir!

This indoor range sells memberships for $150 per year. In 8 visits a person breaks even on hourly cost. I don't know how many memberships they sell but I think I rank at or near the top for "most visiting member."

I haven't seen any bad gun handling but I am usually alone there as I stay away on weekends.

The nearest outdoor range is a state park, unsupervised, and the "redneck rampage" you get out there is disgusting! People take, shoot, and leave trash and the roof is shot up. Once I left when a child was pointing a shotgun at me (dad there and busy) and once I forcibly disarmed a child for pointing a loaded pistol at another child's head! That was a tense moment and the father reacted as we have come to expect.....he exploded into a profanity-laced rant, loaded up his kids and firearms in a hurry, and blasted out of there like he had 20 warrants or something!

It's about an hour drive out there anyway.

I work at an indoor range that is open two days per week and is five minutes from my home plus and am a member of another indoor range five miles from my house so places to make noise is not a problem. I have shot at least once per week for the last ten years. Fortunately I reload so cost are minimal.
    I too am thinning the herd as I am getting older.
    "Never pet a burning dog"

Quote Originally Posted by 340pd View Post
    I too am thinning the herd as I am getting older.
    You know I talk about doing this regularly but the wife says it will never happen because I have a gun fetish (I don’t know where she learns those words). So that being the case could only owning CZ’s, glocks, Rugers, Kahrs, Sig’s, a few 1911, and various revolvers (and a few rifles) be considered thinning the herd? Don’t disappoint me with the wrong answer...

i do limit calibers to only 9mm, .45, .380, .40, .38, .357, 22LR, .223, and .308. Is that thin enough??? Guess the wife is right.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Quote Originally Posted by yqtszhj View Post
    You know I talk about doing this regularly but the wife says it will never happen because I have a gun fetish (I don’t know where she learns those words). So that being the case could only owning CZ’s, glocks, Rugers, Kahrs, Sig’s, a few 1911, and various revolvers (and a few rifles) be considered thinning the herd? Don’t disappoint me with the wrong answer...

i do limit calibers to only 9mm, .45, .380, .40, .38, .357, 22LR, .223, and .308. Is that thin enough??? Guess the wife is right.
    Your doing fine, your thinning. Very few calibers, your ok. Tell the wife I said so.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Duplicate
    Last edited by 340pd; 02-28-2020 at 07:29 AM.
    "Never pet a burning dog"