Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop   Xssights   Magnum Research new
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Mag Guts for 9mm is here!

Mag Guts issues...

I ordered 4 total, one 6 to 7 for my CM9, and three 7 to 8 for the spares and my K9. I installed the 6 to 7, and two 7 to 8's. I just came back from the range to test functionality.

The 6 to 7 performed flawlessly. No issues with my CM9. Tested Rem UMC 115 gr, Rem HTP 115gr +P, and Win 124gr Nato.

The two 7 to 8 conversions almost always had the spring come off the follower's "hook". Yes, I have the spring's highest point at the back of the follower (flat side of magazine; per instructions). I ran each magazine 3-4 times, and had the spring issue for every run except one (the first test fire on one magazine had no issue). With the spring moving out of the hook on the follower, the slide would not lock back on last round. Every time I finished shooting a magazine, I had to reset the spring with my MT (except one time).

Should I contact Mag Guts? Should I dremel in the hook area a little more? Anyone else having these issues? For now, the Mag Guts 7 to 8 round conversion will not be used for EDC.

Update: I have sent an e-mail @6:30pm to MagGuts through their website describing the problem. I will update the forum on developments.

Please do, as I have yet to order several sets.
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

Update: Mag Guts e-mailed me this morning @8:33am CST. They said that they are sending me three new 7-to-8 conversions with a return label for the ones I have for them to inspect. I will update the thread when I receive the new conversions.

Update: 1/14/2020
    Just received the replacement kits from Mag Guts and installed two of the three. I'll be sending the old ones back (Mag Guts supplied a paid shipping form). I'll try to get to the range this week to test the new kits, but no promises. I will try to upload pics later but my guesses related to the issue could be totally wrong.
    Last edited by Scott321; 01-15-2020 at 12:50 AM.

Update: 1/15/2020

Pics of one of the replacement followers vs two of the problem ones. The replacement is on the left in each pic. I didn't include side pics of the cutout area on the vertical piece as that cut seems the same on all of the followers.

2020 MagGuts return 1_3 small.jpg 2020 MagGuts return 2_3 small.jpg

I don't know if the new one(s) received will work. I also don't know that the ones I had issues with (the right one in each pic) was from user error, e.g. installation issues, although I followed the instructions and double checked with MagGuts installation video for Kahr AND followed the installation conversation in this thread. The two ones I had issues with, however, do seem to have slight differences than the new one in the pic. I'm wondering if the required tolerances related to the bends, cuts, the longer spring on the 7 to 8 conversions, or even softness of the metal might play a factor, but the differences don't seem to be uniformed on the two that I had issues with.

I'll update in a few days after I test the replacements... although I might try hand racking some snap caps tomorrow (loaded a few snap caps into two magazines to help the spring set). I'll also retest the one 6 to 7 round conversion to verify that it is functioning properly for me, as it did during the first range test. I don't know what range ammo will be available from my local shop as it tends to change with fluctuating prices to the shop, but I usually carry Rem HTP 115gr +P, which will make it into both tests.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott321 View Post
    Update: 1/15/2020

Pics of one of the replacement followers vs two of the problem ones. The replacement is on the left in each pic. I didn't include side pics of the cutout area on the vertical piece as that cut seems the same on all of the followers.

2020 MagGuts return 1_3 small.jpg 2020 MagGuts return 2_3 small.jpg

I don't know if the new one(s) received will work. I also don't know that the ones I had issues with (the right one in each pic) was from user error, e.g. installation issues, although I followed the instructions and double checked with MagGuts installation video for Kahr AND followed the installation conversation in this thread. The two ones I had issues with, however, do seem to have slight differences than the new one in the pic. I'm wondering if the required tolerances related to the bends, cuts, the longer spring on the 7 to 8 conversions, or even softness of the metal might play a factor, but the differences don't seem to be uniformed on the two that I had issues with.

I'll update in a few days after I test the replacements... although I might try hand racking some snap caps tomorrow (loaded a few snap caps into two magazines to help the spring set). I'll also retest the one 6 to 7 round conversion to verify that it is functioning properly for me, as it did during the first range test. I don't know what range ammo will be available from my local shop as it tends to change with fluctuating prices to the shop, but I usually carry Rem HTP 115gr +P, which will make it into both tests.
    Thanks for posting this. I've not had the issue you describe with any of my Kahr 9mm Magguts kits, but I decided to give them a look. The first kit I bought had the spring with a straight end on the bottom of the spring. I'm going to call the follower that came with this kit the "Old style" follower. All my other kits have the spring with a bent tip on the bottom. Their followers will be referred to as "New style" followers.

What I see in comparison of the old and new style is this:
    The leg of the follower that engages the spring at the front of the follower is positioned lower on the "Old style"
    There is less of the spring under that leg with the "Old style" follower.

It seems to me that the spring is less likely to slip out of position on the "New style" follower so I modified my only "Old style" follower:

I've swapped it into the .40 magazine that I'll be testing in my P40 Covert.

Again, thanks for posting your photos and info. I look forward to reading your after action report of the new kits.

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

This was very helpful as my 7 to 8 unit had the old style arrangement and I feel better replicating the new style. It worked fine the last time I tested it at the range, except it did not hold the slide open after the last round. This has not changed with this mod. My 6 to 7 unit does hold the slide open after the last round. I am impressed by the Magguts design, but I have more faith in my slightly larger Lakeline extra round and enhanced follower units.

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post

It seems to me that the spring is less likely to slip out of position on the "New style" follower so I modified my only "Old style" follower:

I've swapped it into the .40 magazine that I'll be testing in my P40 Covert.

Again, thanks for posting your photos and info. I look forward to reading your after action report of the new kits.

Regards,
    Greg
    I don't know if I will be able to go to the range this weekend to test these out. Unfortunately, I didn't take more detailed comparison pics, as after destroying a perfectly good 1911 mag trying to figure out what I would trust in the CW45, I don't want to mess with something too much. I just figured I'd give it one more shot and if it doesn't work to my expectations I would just return them. Hopefully after the next range session the 6 to 7 rounders will again function flawlessly, as I really like that extra round in the CM9. We'll see how the replacement 7 to 8 do. If I experience any issues I'm just going back to stock and calling it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by finpro View Post
    This was very helpful as my 7 to 8 unit had the old style arrangement and I feel better replicating the new style. It worked fine the last time I tested it at the range, except it did not hold the slide open after the last round. This has not changed with this mod. My 6 to 7 unit does hold the slide open after the last round. I am impressed by the Magguts design, but I have more faith in my slightly larger Lakeline extra round and enhanced follower units.
    Do you keep your Lakeline base plate loaded for long periods of time? Have you noticed any bending or warping over time? I like mine, but there seems to be a stress line around the area where the inside was cut out to slide onto the magazine base shelf. Maybe it's just a discoloration, but it starts to make me wonder about the materal. I have both the Lakeline grip adapter (plus Lakeline base) for the 7 rounder and another Lakeline base plate on the 6 rounder. I like the feel of the Lakeline base plate on the 6 rounder better than the metal factory, but have hesitated to use it for carry, as that is the one with the discoloration.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott321 View Post
    ... as after destroying a perfectly good 1911 mag trying to figure out what I would trust in the CW45, I don't want to mess with something too much. ......
    What happened with the 1911 magazine?
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    What happened with the 1911 magazine?
    It's been a fairly long time and I honestly don't remember. I just remember that after goofing around with it I made a mental note not to use it either in a Kahr or in a compact 1911 because of whatever alterations I did (I don't own a compact 1911). It's a WC 1911 compact magazine. I may or may not revisit it in the future, but in the meantime I just bought a few extra Kahr mags (although a TP45 came with a couple of them :P). I do remember that with the very limited alterations I tried, the snap caps sat too high, the slide was contacting the feed lips of the magazine, and IIRC, the snap caps would feed off of the top of the chamber instead of the feeding ramp effecting the smoothness of feeding. Additionally, the slide would not hold open after the last round.

I didn't try the Kahr follower, but now we're talking about both time and price factoring into the value of getting it to work... the flush bottom and the +1 round just weren't worth it to me. I might revisit this in the future, but not anytime soon.