Tommy Gun   Kahr Shop   Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Mag Guts for 9mm is here!

I have mag gut in 4 of my CW380 and all have run fine. I bought them more for the metal follower than I did for the capacity. I have about 8 mags for my CM9's. I am not into the high round count like a lot of folks, so invested in the Steel followers to replace the standard Kahr OEM. I did place a Gallaway Plus 1 on two mags. They were inexpensive and added a extended grip and use them for range time. I did as a fluke order two Magguts for the CM9. I will replace two of my mags without the steel follower with these. For carry a standard 6 rd mag or 7 round mag is fine with me as long as it has a steel follower and the mag has not been shot or loaded often (I have two CM's, one for range work one for carry).
    I am more inclined in the Future to buy Wolf springs to replace my magazine springs as they wear down.
    When I do install the Magguts into the Kahr mags, I will load to full capacity and then let the springs take a "SET" for 48 hrs. I have been doing this for years, something I learned from Shooting High End Spring powered rifles and I guess it works as all my guns run fine.

Will these work on my hideous, extended 7 round for my cm9?

Quote Originally Posted by AugWest View Post
    Will these work on my hideous, extended 7 round for my cm9?
    I assume you’re talking about a Kahr 7 round mag with the Kahr sleeve. If that’s the case, yes, the 7 to 8 kit will work.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

I used the Magguts 6 to 7 kit in two magazines for my Ruger LCP. They worked great initially and I loved them but over time I started getting feed failures on the the last two rounds in the magazine. I post this just to warn you to continually check the functionality of these kits over time. I ended up converting my magazines back to stock. Can't have that kind of failure in your carry gun.

That's interesting to me. I'm curious to know what "over time" means. How long was it after you installed the MagGuts that you started having issues..??

Quote Originally Posted by guido4198 View Post
    That's interesting to me. I'm curious to know what "over time" means. How long was it after you installed the MagGuts that you started having issues..??
    I'm not sure of the exact timeline but I think it was about a year after I did the conversion that I started having repeatable problem that I can only attribute to the magguts. As soon as I converted the magazines back to stock they worked fine. This was when the magguts system was first introduced so maybe they have improved their product. All I can say is that you need to continuously shoot all of your converted magazines over time to verify they continue to function properly. I personally will not be using magguts again, but that's just me.

Thank you. I only own 2 magazines for my daily carry CM9. Both have been converted with the MAgGuts springs to 7 rd capacity and are currently functioning flawlessly.
    When I'm at the range, I use both interchangeably to verify reliable function regardless of which one ends up in the gun for EDC.
    I'll be aware of your issue going forward and see if it begins to appear as these springs age.

Update: 2/29/2020

Rushed to put a few rounds downrange as the range was closing (plus testing a few other firearms for functionality). Fired two of the replacement MagGuts 7-8 conversions in the K9 and CM9, as well as the original MagGuts 6-7 (didn't have issues with the 6-7 before so it wasn't replaced). I only had time for 3 reloads on each magazine, including +1 in chamber for each test. No issues (except one; see below) and the slide held back when empty on both firearms. The spring stayed in the follower's groove for all three magazines.

One hiccup, but I think it's the same with the stock magazine... When using the 9-7 magazine in the CM9, if I put too much pressure with my pinky on the magazine sticking out under the grip, it caused a FTF. This happened once, but if I recall it also happened to me with the stock 9-7 magazine in the CM9, too. I have not tested this with the Lakeline extended grip adapter for the CM9.