Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Mag Guts for 9mm is here!

It appears Magguts has already modified the flat wire portion of the spring.
    On my first set the end of the flat wire spring was straight:

Its really interesting you post that, as I ordered two 7 +1 magazine kits, and one had flat tip and the other a bent one on the same order. I assume one was damaged, and actually tried to flatten it out a bit. Woops!

Just got my 6+1 kit. It has the bend in the end as shown. Getting it installed was somewhat challenging but I found this thread and the video to be very helpful.

Likewise...getting that seventh round into the magazine...WOW...I've been stuffing rounds into magazines since I was 6 yrs old and have NEVER had one as difficult as putting that 7th round into my newly converted Kahr mag. The ONLY way I can do it is to use a screwdriver applied to the rim of round #6 to push it down and make space to start #7. My somewhat arthritic, 70 yr old fingers can't do it. That's not meant to be a knock on the product...it is what it is. Your experience may be different. The only time I expect to be NEEDING to put that 7th round in the magazine will be when loading up for EDC. Otherwise, I'll just load 6 at the range, and enjoy.
    All that said...Of Course..I will be doing considerable T&E on this converted mag before it gets used for daily carry and will write up a report on how that goes as soon as I get back to the range. Last night...loading up 7+1 in my CM9 with the converted mag in the gun and rapidly "hand-racking" until empty ran perfectly.
    I'll be back...

With use and leaving it fully loaded, the 6 round magazine that I first installed a Magguts kit in it has become a little easier to load that seventh round...not a whole lot, but noticeable.
    GB
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    You're welcome

FWIW, I've installed another 6 to 7 round kit and a 7 to 8 round kit. The install went much smoother this time. The 7 to 8 went in without having to capture the spring and re-position my hands The extra round is also much easier to get into the magazine with the 7 to 8 kit. Both kits hand cycle with no issues (MK9 and CW9). I don't expect any issues when I get to put some rounds through them.
    Regards,
    Greg
    Just ordered a 6 to 7 as well as a 7 to 8 today. Will see how easy they install. Thanks again for the reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by guido4198 View Post
    Since you already have two kits coming...I'll recommend that after you have fired a magazine, check the spring/follower relationship. The instructions that come with the kit require that you make sure the last coil on the cpring is in the little "notch" in the follower. I have been unable to keep the spring in the "notch" on the follower as the manufacturer's instructions require. It's in there when I load the mag, NOT in there when the mag is empty. Trying to shoot in that condition ( spring not in the notch) results in failure. I don't imagine the manufacturer's intention was that I have to re-set that spring/"follower notch" relationship everytime I load a magazine. I have sent an inquiry to them ( last week). It was just that...an inquiry, and request for assistance or guidance. Not some kind of rant, demand, etc. Still waiting to hear back from them.
    At this point....I'm not terribly upset. I understand that sometimes new products have "issues" and am OK with working through them, IF the manufacturer is responsive and stands behind their product. I only posted my earlier comment in response to a post from someone getting ready to order in an effort to advise that things aren't all rosy with the 6+1 MagGuts 9mm kit and that perhaps folks might want to know how the company addresses problems, BEFORE ordering.
    IMHO: the jury is still out. When this has either been resolved, or NOT...I will happily post a full report and let the chips fall where they may...good or bad.
    'nuff said for now.
    That's disappointing to read. Hopefully they will get back to you soon. I tried to contact them via their Facebook page, but never got a reply (or missed it if I did).

My own experience with my first 6 to 7 kit has been the opposite of yours as the the kit has performed perfectly through 115 rounds(that's discounting one instance of operator error).

Here are some photos of my mag on the chance that you might notice anything different from yours:

As I found myself doing it, even with the instructions right in front of me, I feel I should ask if you have the spring installed correctly front to back? For me, it's counter to what 'm used to with ever other magazine I own (I think).

Hope you get your kit working correctly.

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

I couldn't have asked for better pictures, Greg! Mag guts should buy them from you, their tiny little drawing is useless.

So I received my order today of a 6/7 and a 7/8.
    While in my office I went ahead and changed the 7/8, (thanks for the pictures Greg, I would have put the spring in backwards as well)
    Everything was going smooth . So smooth that as I was putting the base plate on I thought, why are the guys complaining about how hard this is, when BAM! Yeah, the spring shot out the bottom and across the office. Fortunately my office is not that big and isn't cluttered so I found the locking plate easily. I took a large paperclip, like others suggested and retained the spring in the compressed position. THEN everything went together pretty smooth. Fit all 8 in there.
    This is for Greg,
    Looking at the magazine from the front. The follower, when empty, was leaning/tilted a little to the left. It compressed just fine, but I thought it a little weird. Did yours do that?

Quote Originally Posted by JinRC View Post
    Looking at the magazine from the front. The follower, when empty, was leaning/tilted a little to the left. It compressed just fine, but I thought it a little weird. Did yours do that?
    Here's my 7 to 8:

Regards,
    Greg

OK...Here's the final report on my experience with the 6 to 7 MagGuts spring kit in my CM9:
    At the beginning of the month..I put the kit in my Kahr 6 rd magazine, took it to the range and had issues. When I got home, I went to the MagGuts website to contact them and ask for assistance with the problems I had experienced. I was only looking for some conversation, possibly a suggestion or two..I didn't Rant at them.
    Never heard back from the company, but in just about one week from that initial contact, a new spring kit arrived, along with a prepaid shipping label, presumably to ship the original kit back to them. Again, no instructions about how to proceed, just the replacement 6+1 spring kit, and the shipping label.
    OK...So I put the new spring kit in the same mag body that had given me problems before. Went to the range with the same ammo and ran through about 75-80 rds..with ZERO issues.
    Loading 7+1 in the chamber...8 rds functioned FLAWLESSLY, everytime. Two hands, One hand, Weak hand...whatever...it all worked.
    With that excellent performance, I went back and installed the original 6+1 spring kit in another Kahr magazine body, took it out and ran another 75-80 rds through that one...and had FLAWLESS function. I cannot explain the difference...most likely "installer error" although I tried to follow the instructional video, and some helpful comments on this site..( Thank you).
    I've contacted the company to pay for the second spring kit, 'cause I'm not sending anything back. These 6+1 9mm spring kits from MagGuts are the real deal in my gun.
    My CM9 has become my everyday carry gun. I've got 8 in the gun, plus 7 more in the spare mag, all of which I'm confident enough of to bet my life on.
    Hope this helps.

Well that's good news, glad everything worked out for you.