Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun   Xssights   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: K-9 Stripper Bar

Default K-9 Stripper Bar

My K-9 has an issue with feeding occasionally. I had a similar issue with my PM45, which needed the stripper bar beveled off. It was easy to do, and the pistol functioned perfectly afterward.

I notice that my K-9's stripper bar is a sharp right angle, while my CW9's is rounded over.

Should I dremel my K-9's bar to match the CW9?

I would lean more towards bevel than round. Round might provide enough for the case to slip into place basically accomplishing the same thing. So a bevel with slightly rounded corners.

Don't think it needs a whole lot either way you go.

Hope this makes sense, it works in my head but reading it, I don't get it either.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

The CW9 is definitely rounded, but the bevel worked on the 45. I guess I could start with a bevel and round it if needed.

If any K-9 owners could examine theirs and let me know what you have, that'd be awesome. If you detail strip the slide, it's the long protrusion down the middle that strips the top round out of the mag as the slide moves forward.

The rail on my K9 has a slight bevel on it:

It's kind of difficult to get a photo of it with my phone and it doesn't help that corners of the the rail have burrs/damage on them.

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

"Rounded" can be changed to a "bevel" if necessary; the reverse is not true.

Thanks Greg, I think I'll give mine a little buzz.

Mine (SN BF09XX) has a shallower bevel than Greg's. For what it's worth it looks like the rail was beveled before the final mill cut on the top of the rail.

Quote Originally Posted by Linthead View Post
    I thought the same thing, being a machinist for the last 26 years, but I would not put much of a radius on it, otherwise you will end up with a huge bevel.
    Today is the first day of the rest of your life.

Quote Originally Posted by Linthead View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ct9kahrtoter View Post
    I thought the same thing, being a machinist for the last 26 years, but I would not put much of a radius on it, otherwise you will end up with a huge bevel.
    I had to think about both those comments...

I believe a bevel can in fact be changed to rounded -- and vice versa -- as long as you're willing to remove more metal, that is.

In this image I created, the red dashed lines are the "before" profile, while the blue mass is the "after". Either way, you're taking more metal off the edge to change the profile.

Based on this, I wouldn't alter my gun at all; I'd change the loads and lube it well per the "Kahr Prep Info" and should the heck out of it.

I'm hearing my late father's words (2nd-generation locksmith and machinist) ringing in my head: "Remember kid, the take-off metal tools work much better than the put-on metal tricks."

Old No7
    "Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH

The whole issue is just to get that stripper bar (sounds like a nice place to go huh?) behind the cartridge case.
    Years ago this was an issue quite frequently, don't hear much about it last few years.
    It doesn't take much at all, and may not need it. Lock the slide back, insert a loaded mag and see if the case is in front of the stripper or under it. If it's under you need a bit of bevel. Especially if you load with the slide lock. If you sling shot you got a better chance of getting the slide back enough to catch the case.

I agree with Old No 7 and his father, don't mess with it unless you have to.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."