Xssights   Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: K-9 Stripper Bar

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    ...just to get that stripper bar (sounds like a nice place to go huh?)...
    Time for a Kahr Talk Meet & Greet!!! (Or a shoot & hoot...)

Old No7
    "Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH

It won't HURT to bevel the 9mm "strippers" a bit. The 9mm doesn't have the problem that the .45, my PM45 in particular had, with the stripper being behind the top cartridge in the magazine. That's one thing that I noticed... that there was plenty of room behind the cartridges in the mags with the 9mm's, but the rim of the .45's could end up under the stripper and not be pushed forward to chamber... without the bevel. With the bevel the stripper can push the cartridge foreward with enough pressure to get behind the cartridge and then push it forward.

The same with the half-moon cutout or bevel on the upper front of the forward position for the recoil assembly under the slide. My K9 didn't have a relief, but I could see some very small marks there, so I gave it the relief the other Kahrs had... room for the recoil spring and guide rod to move up and down as the barrel and slide moved apart during recoil to unlock and lock or mate the barrel to the slide. We called that a notch. Some pistols had it and some didn't, but it was needed. Pic of robust factory PM9 notch below. Pic2 shows PM45 on the top cartridge rim. Pic3 is the PM9 with plenty of space for the stripper behind the top round. Pic4 the result of the PM45 stripper being forced forward(palm strikes to the rear of the slide) and just scraping over the top round. Pic5 shows the PM45 slide over the PM9 slide with the difference in bevels on the stripper. I have a picture of ther un-beveled PM45 slide, too. I'll add another post for that.

On some pistols without the relief, the RSA would eventually batter a small relief there anyhow.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Pic1 unbeveled PM45 slide at top ~ February 2010. I made a small bevel and the "repair" worked. The slide's stripper could now push the cartridge forward enough to get behind the rim and push forward to chamber the round in Pic2.

One thing that I found out was the problem mainly showed up with trying to chamber a round as Kahr suggests with the slide locked to the rear. With a proper full rack and clean release, the stripper can get behind the rim and chamber without a problem, as does chambering in normal firing.

Don't overlook the "notch". This confinement of the RSA CAN cause problems. Sometimes the notch is missed in production, as it was on my PM45 and K9.

Attached Images Attached Images
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".