Tommy Gun Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen   Xssights
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: K9 fail to feed last round

Default K9 fail to feed last round

This is a consistent problem, the last round won't feed. The slide fails to go into battery, and the round is partially fed. I have to pull the slide back and sling shot it to feed it.

I know this was discussed here before but I can't find it.

It's a K9 I bought used, the seller said it had about 270 rounds through it IIRC. I have put 200+ rounds through it, and have used 9 different magazines and they all do it. It occasionally sticks on feeding the first round, and a nudge puts it into battery.

Time for a new recoil spring....

Quote Originally Posted by Ed M View Post
    Time for a new recoil spring....
    My first reaction was, “What, after only about 500 rounds?” But I just compared the K9’s spring to my CW9’s spring, and the K9’s is 1/2” shorter. My next experiment may be to swap those springs and see if the issue follows the spring.

And the CW9 has more rounds through it.

Curious to see your results. Is the feed ramp polished? I only ask as that last round may come in at a different angle, more nosed up, than the other rounds. Just thinking how that may possibly be effected by the feed ramp. Please let us know if the recoil spring fixes it.

On Kahr's website the recoil springs for the CW and K have different SKUs, so I have no idea if they're supposed to be interchangeable. I haven't polished the feed ramp, but that's a good question.

They’re not interchangeable. The barrels are milled differently, so the guide rods are different lengths, and the CW spring doesn’t fit in the K9.

The feed ramp seems pretty shiny.

Or a weak mag spring causing last round issues. I had that happen on some pistol I just can’t remember which one. Of course if it’s multiple mags then it may not be the issue.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

9 magazines that all work fine in a CW9, and none feed the last round in a K9, doesn't seem likely to be the magazine's fault.

With the slide off, can you load a mag with 1 round (the "last one", obviously) and insert the mag into the K9 and the CW9?

I'd be curious if any part of the slide stop is hitting the round or otherwise causing an issue...

If you can do this with both the K9 and CW9 side-by-side, and try different mags too, the "visual" you see may just help you debug it.

They try a mag with "2 rounds" and see if that next-to-last round sits any different than the "last one" did.

The mags are the same/similar, but it's possible they might sit higher/lower on one gun "just enough" due to the mag catch placement...

That's all I have for ideas. But good luck!

Old No7
    "Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH