CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights   Tommy Gun Shop   Magnum Research new
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: K9 fail to feed last round

My revolver fever is in remission, and I’m back into semiauto 9mm. I got the MagGuts stuffed into the 8-rnd mag and it works fine so far in the CW9. The K9 is still acting up. This time the last round fed fine most of the time, it was an intermediate round that sometimes would result in failure to return to battery. A new recoil spring is on order. I sure hope that’s all it is.
    Man of steel - Kahr T9, CZ75

Gaaaaa!!!!

This is why I drift back to revolvers.

The new recoil spring is 5" long. The original one is 4" long. Ok, cool; maybe that was the problem.

I have NEVER encountered a recoil spring this difficult to install. It seems to require a factory jig to get it to compress enough to fit, without it sproinging to one side. I cannot get it in. Not at all. Not even close. This is pathetic. I feel defeated.

I hold the slide in my right hand and push the spring with my thumb, I use my left hand to control the sproing.
    I'm sure a brand new spring is challenging but you can do it.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

That's more or less what I attempted. I got it to within about 1/8" or less of slipping into place, but it didn't make it.

I got tired of fighting with certain autos.....................stick with your revolvers. Kiss theory wins out almost always......................................

I rigged something up where the spring could be compressed overnight. It came out 4.5” long, and I got it installed without a lot of aggravation. Now, to try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
    I rigged something up where the spring could be compressed overnight. It came out 4.5” long, and I got it installed without a lot of aggravation. Now, to try it out.
    We hope it works for you John!

Keep us posted please -- those of us with K9s will want to know.

Old No7
    "Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH

My plans to test it keep getting thwarted. Possibly today...

I was a little more scientific this time. 9 magazines, 150 rounds of S&B FMJ ammo, and a pen and paper.

Mag Guts 8 rnd. magazine, 2 mags full: First mag perfect, 2nd mag had a partial feed into the chamber on the 2nd round.
    Kahr 9-8 mag w/ sleeve: 3 mags full: First mag had a partial feed on the last round, the other two mags fed perfectly.
    7 rnd mag w/ flat metal base plate: 4 mags full: First and second mags had the last round fail to strip from the magazine at all, the other 2 times it fed perfectly.
    7 rnd mag w/ flat metal base plate (#2): 3 mags full: 2nd round partially fed all three times.
    7 rnd mag w/ plastic base plate (5 separate magazines): all fed perfectly.

The mags with failures are the Mag Guts, flat metal base plate, and factory 8 round. That leaves me 5 magazines that fed perfectly. The other mags can stay with my CW9.

Next test will be with other FMJ ammo, and JHP, just to be sure.

It could have been partially the recoil spring and partially some of the mag springs. I'll double check the faulty mags to see that the springs are in the right way, but they work fine in the CW9 which is odd.

Oh, and a couple empty casings flew at my face. One lodged between my glasses and my temple, leaving a little rectangular burn mark less than an inch from the eye I just had cataract surgery on. My eye doctor will kill me, I’m not supposed to have any fun for a while. So I’m planning to pick up a visor. Hats work, but interfere with ear muffs, and get hot in summer. I figure a visor will be more comfortable and keep hot brass off my face.

Another reason to like revolvers!