Xssights   Tommy Gun Shop   Crimsontrace   Kahr Shop
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Snipping Striker Spring to reduce pull weight?

Hey Guys,
    Thanks for the input.

This has nothing to do with a self defense situation. I've been shooting for nearly 50 years and I could pull a 10# trigger if necessary.

This however has everything to do with setting up my pistol exactly as desired, not only for self defense purposes but also for range purposes. I prefer a trigger pull of around 5#. That is heavy enough for a ccw but also light enough to be more conducive for accuracy.

I don't see how there could be a difference between installing a lighter wolf spring or simply shortening the already long stock spring. I wondered if anyone had tried such and with what results. If there would be a reliability issue in either instance then I'd pass.

Thanks,
    Ralph

Well I was avoiding commenting but I’ll add my non spring mod experience.

My well broke in CM9 with all polished internals including trigger bar, striker channel, striker, etc, and stock springs pulls at just over 4 pounds. No light strikes.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph III View Post
    Hey Guys,
    Thanks for the input.

This has nothing to do with a self defense situation. I've been shooting for nearly 50 years and I could pull a 10# trigger if necessary.

This however has everything to do with setting up my pistol exactly as desired, not only for self defense purposes but also for range purposes. I prefer a trigger pull of around 5#. That is heavy enough for a ccw but also light enough to be more conducive for accuracy.

I don't see how there could be a difference between installing a lighter wolf spring or simply shortening the already long stock spring. I wondered if anyone had tried such and with what results. If there would be a reliability issue in either instance then I'd pass.

Thanks,
    Ralph
    Aw, I see where your coming from now, I'm sometimes slow on the up take.
    I'm not sure that clipping a coil on the stock spring would net the same results myself. I think I'd probably be more comfy clipping on a recoil spring just a bit but not so much the striker spring. I guess I wouldn't have much confidence in myself.

Wolff is the go to experts in springs and Kahr uses Wolff springs from the get go, or so I was told. I chuckle when everyone wants to swap out to wolff springs.

That being said, if you clip the striker spring and shoot it a whole bunch with no issues then mission accomplished and proof of concept is achieved.

Order a Wolff (they are cheap) and have it on hand and then clip yours, if it works you got a spare, if it don't Wolff keeps you on the track.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Thanks Bawanna and Yqtszhj.

The pull weight is so close at this point that I also wondered if a good polishing would suffice instead? I've never done such though. Are there any videos that show how to break down a Kahr and what parts to polish?

Thanks,
    Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph III View Post
    Thanks Bawanna and Yqtszhj.

The pull weight is so close at this point that I also wondered if a good polishing would suffice instead? I've never done such though. Are there any videos that show how to break down a Kahr and what parts to polish?

Thanks,
    Ralph
    Not that I’m aware of but I broke my slide down to do a bead blast one time so I polished everything then. Same thing on the frame but let me tell you frame disassembly is not for the faint of heart. If the trigger is smooth with the slide off I’d leave the frame alone. I wish you the best with whatever you decide. I’m a obsessed tinkerer my self.
    Last edited by yqtszhj; 10-20-2019 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Typo
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_usn_ret View Post
    I will make one statement about trigger pull ....Speaking from experience, if you need to fire your weapon in a self defense situation..... a 4# trigger pull is going to make ZERO difference compared to a 5 0r 6# pull!!! Bubbadising your firearm by cutting a spring...never mind I said I would make ONE comment!!
    ^^^winner, winner, chicken dinner^^^

I am grinding my teeth as I am reading this thread.
    OK, you have a carry gun, one that is made to save your life. Love all you guys but there is not one of you out there that under stress could tell the difference between a 5# trigger and a 12# trigger. Maybe it is just mine but my PM9 trigger is as smooth as the inside of a school teachers thigh. The goal should be smooth and consistent, not necessarily light.
    If you want to make nice holes in paper to impress the guy/gal in the lane next to you, I am fine with that but believe me, cutting coils off a spring is not the way to go.
    "Never pet a burning dog"

Maybe I couldn’t tell the difference but I might have a better chance of hitting what I’m aiming at.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

I wanna see the school teachers thigh................................
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by 340pd View Post
    ^^^winner, winner, chicken dinner^^^

I am grinding my teeth as I am reading this thread.
    OK, you have a carry gun, one that is made to save your life. Love all you guys but there is not one of you out there that under stress could tell the difference between a 5# trigger and a 12# trigger. Maybe it is just mine but my PM9 trigger is as smooth as the inside of a school teachers thigh. The goal should be smooth and consistent, not necessarily light.
    If you want to make nice holes in paper to impress the guy/gal in the lane next to you, I am fine with that but believe me, cutting coils off a spring is not the way to go.
    Your post is irrelevant with due respect because this has nothing to do with you but everything to do with setting my pistol up, as I desire. In such a fashion that I have found works best for me with 50 yrs shooting experience.

Secondly, a lighter trigger is more conducive for accuracy. So I personally would not opt for a heavy 10# or 12# trigger on a ccw. Nor would I opt for a 3# trigger because that could result in an accidental discharge. I prefer something between 4.5# and 5#.

Lastly, there is really no reason to snip the stock spring if Wolf offers a spring that will suffice. Having said that and coming from an engineering family, I see absolutely no issue with possibly shortening the existing long spring slightly; if it rendered the same result and such proved reliable.

Thanks,
    Ralph

Go for it Ralph. Hopefully, you will never stand before a jury trying to explain why you tried to make your trigger pull lighter by cutting coils off the springs.
    "Never pet a burning dog"