Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop

Thread: Kahr Website Mitch Rosen OWB Holster opinions?

Default Kahr Website Mitch Rosen OWB Holster opinions?

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Mitch Rosen holster available from Kahr. I was interested in the OWB ones.

I noticed that they have no adjustable retention. Does anyone have experience with these? Does it lose it's retention over time?

My MK9 clicks into the holster, almost like kydex. It's the same now as day one. It needed zero break in.

MRosen.jpg

I've been legally carrying concealed for about 40 years. Kahr K9, PM9 or a Colt Commander. IMHO all leather holsters will loose tension after a while. The holster being pulled against the body helps retain the gun. For the past 10 years I carry them in the same Don Hume JIT holsters and see no reason to change or replace them yet. For me when I feel they're getting a little loose I dip them in hot water, let it dry a bit, rebone them and then let them completely dry. All this from a less then a $40.00 holster

Also I'm not a fan of pancake holsters with a front belt loop for two reasons. One reason is it restricts how far forward I can shift the holster. When I weave my belt onto my pants I skip the hip loop. That way I can move the holster from in front to the rear of my hip. Like when bending or sitting.
    The other reason for me is I found that the front loop doesn't allow the gun butt to pull tight against my body. With just a rear and mid loop the butt is pulled into my body

These holsters may not be pretty but they work. No one should be seeing them, to see how pretty they are.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jg rider; 10-22-2019 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed M View Post
    My MK9 clicks into the holster, almost like kydex. It's the same now as day one. It needed zero break in...
    Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by jg rider View Post
    I've been legally carrying concealed for about 40 years. Kahr K9, PM9 or a Colt Commander. IMHO all leather holsters will loose tension after a while. The holster being pulled against the body helps retain the gun. For the past 10 years I carry them in the same Don Hume JIT holsters and see no reason to change or replace them yet. For me when I feel they're getting a little loose I dip them in hot water, let it dry a bit, rebone them and then let them completely dry. All this from a less then a $40.00 holster

Also I'm not a fan of pancake holsters with a front belt loop for two reasons. One reason is it restricts how far forward I can shift the holster. When I weave my belt onto my pants I skip the hip loop. That way I can move the holster from in front to the rear of my hip. Like when bending or sitting.
    The other reason for me is I found that the front loop doesn't allow the gun butt to pull tight against my body. With just a rear and mid loop the butt is pulled into my body

These holsters may not be pretty but they work. No one should be seeing them, to see how pretty they are.
    Wow, lots to think about here. Thank you for the info. I might have to reconsider this style of holster/belt loop configuration as I often worry about the butt of the firearm printing whenever I lean over, which is often. Right now my OWB setup is a pancake holster (Kramer Belt Scabbard) for my S&W 66-8 which is my most comfortable setup. I run my belt through one holster loop, then a pants loop, then the other holster loop, and it is very comfortable in that location without moving it when I sit or stand (about 3:30 with a slight cant). I will try your belt loop suggestion and see how that works for me, thank you.

I was hoping to replicate this setup for my CW45, as that is my preferred carry (often use an IWB or SH system for this). I do worry about the butt printing, especially because it isn't rounded like my S&W grips. I also prefer the muzzle to be within the holster, which is why I hesitate on the J.I.T. Your suggestion is making me consider the Kramer Vertical Scabbard in horsehide with an FBI cant instead of my original idea of the Mitch Rosen from Kahr... most likely I will start the order process as soon as I finish typing this.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott321 View Post
    I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Mitch Rosen holster available from Kahr. I was interested in the OWB ones.

I noticed that they have no adjustable retention. Does anyone have experience with these? Does it lose it's retention over time?
    Scott321,

I considered purchasing the Kahr-branded Mitch Rosen OWB (5JR Express) pancake holster for my K9. In the end, I purchased the [non-Express] 5JR, with a thumb break, because I could specify the "lined" option. I am very satisfied. Even with the thumb break unsnapped, my K9 sits very securely retained in the holster.

FWIW,

rx7sig

Quote Originally Posted by jg rider View Post

I wear pancakes holsters and never really had a problem with retention. As you stated, when worn on the belt the two loops creates clamp like pressure that helps retain the gun. I also have the type of holster in your pictures, and in my experience, it doesn't hold the gun as close to my body thus it's less concealable under a t-shirt. Years ago when I was researching both types, the consensus from others mimiced mine.

Quote Originally Posted by rx7sig View Post
    Scott321,

I considered purchasing the Kahr-branded Mitch Rosen OWB (5JR Express) pancake holster for my K9. In the end, I purchased the [non-Express] 5JR, with a thumb break, because I could specify the "lined" option. I am very satisfied. Even with the thumb break unsnapped, my K9 sits very securely retained in the holster.

FWIW,

rx7sig
    Actually, I was looking at the thumb break model in particular (personal reasons). I already placed the order for the Kramer, but I might pick up the thumb break Rosen from Kahr for my older K9. Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by 187911 View Post
    I wear pancakes holsters and never really had a problem with retention. As you stated, when worn on the belt the two loops creates clamp like pressure that helps retain the gun. I also have the type of holster in your pictures, and in my experience, it doesn't hold the gun as close to my body thus it's less concealable under a t-shirt. Years ago when I was researching both types, the consensus from others mimiced mine.
    Thank for the info! I'll keep this in mind for future purchases. Although I'm happy with the way my pancake holster holds the revolver into my body, I do notice the butt sticks out if I wear it much past 3:30. I'll see if the new Kramer I ordered tucks the CW45's butt in or not, but I'm not too worried as this will be my winter/fleece setup. However, I might have to wait up to 10 weeks for delivery before I can compare.

I carry my K9 in a DeSantis Thumb Break Lined holster from eBay... They have it in black also. It's lined, has a cant, and thumb break. It's also relatively cheap, and you can also use the "best offer" option to get $5 or so dollars off the listed price.

Here's mine:

1791 GUNLEATHER: Can be found on Amazon or their website.

Winthrop Holsters: OWB Pancake Holster... On Ebay, Amazon, and their website. It's also inexpensive, but is made specially for the firearm it's listed for (not a one size fits all holster). It also sold with or without a thumb break. I only opted for one of these over a Mitch Rosen holster because I'm cheap, and love a good deal.

Last edited by 187911; 10-24-2019 at 12:11 PM.

Love the basketweave, gives it a classy look. I'm not much for thumb breaks myself but they do have their place.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Love the basketweave, gives it a classy look. I'm not much for thumb breaks myself but they do have their place.
    Thanks. Think I paid under $40 for a lined, leather basketweave holster made specifically for a K9/K40 with a retention screw. I couldn't say no even though I already have several holsters for my K and MK pistols.