Tommy Gun   Xssights   Crimsontrace   CrossBreed Holsters

Thread: Vintage Charter Arms UnderCover, Spring source?

Default Vintage Charter Arms UnderCover, Spring source?

Hey Folks,
    I have an Undercover from the 60's, that has a very stout DA trigger pull. I would like to purchase a reduced power hammer spring. Wolff does not list them, only for the .44. Does anyone know of another spring vendor that might carry these? J frame springs will not work, sizes are too different.
    NRA Benefactor

I believe that Numrich sells parts...………….different power mainsprings, but I don't think they sell lighter trigger springs.

Quote Originally Posted by berettabone View Post
    I believe that Numrich sells parts...………….different power mainsprings, but I don't think they sell lighter trigger springs.
    The mainspring was what I was after. Thanks for the tip. Numrich has a Light, Medium and Heavy, Plus original. I ordered a medium. Should lighten the trigger pull a wee bit.
    NRA Benefactor

It would probably be worth it to get inside and do some polishing...……………………………………………………...

The current trigger is smooth, but extremely heavy. I would guess about 15-16 lb trigger pull in DA. It is so heavy, I can not hold on target horizontally. It rises up. I would like to carry this revolver when I travel, since it did not cost me much. But..it's just to much....In the mean time, I continue to carry a Model 60, which has a sweet trigger and action, but weighs much more.
    NRA Benefactor

In the reading that I have done, the insides of some of them can be very rough all over. I think some smoothing and shimming could be a major improvement. It's a shame that nothing much can be done with the trigger itself. I've read that even if there was a spring change, because of the engineering of the trigger assembly, it wouldn't matter/be noticeable anyway. I guess you'll see how much improvement there will be with a different mainspring. You may be able to go lower. Before I did any work on my revolver, I read all the stories about light strikes and such. I went to a competent gunsmith and had the insides gone over and smoothed, along with the lowest spring weights that I could go with. I've never had an issue of any kind. The shimming and polishing really did make a difference. Even sometimes just shimming the hammer makes a difference.

These shims?

https://triggershims.com/misc_shims.html

My two (a Bulldog & a Mag Pug) needed nothing and they have nice triggers. I do have one buddy of mine at work who "inherited" a bound up Charter Undercover 38 from a family member who owed him money. He related that the gun looked pretty new but had an awful trigger. I sent him the same link for the hammer shims and another link to some You Tube videos about working on Charter Arms revolvers.
    He later told me that a hammer shim and a good cleaning/lube made it into a fine shooter and then the unloved Undercover became his new truck gun...

Peace

https://www.triggershims.com/

I was once asked if I was "a paranoid for carrying my Kahr".
    "Nope" I said, "just prepared".
    " prepared for what" he asked?
    "more stuff than you are"
    God Bless our Troups!