Sounds like a fine hunt to me although I totally agree hunting Elk alone is to be avoided. Hunting up hill is wise, never thunk of that myself, well I actually thought of it, just never actually did it. Fortunately I never got one solo so no matter.

I've slid down a few hills dragging animals and understand the getting run over deal. And getting it into the back of the truck, that struck home really big. Not an easy task even with a couple guys.

I hung up my hunting togs when I went to the chair, had many offers to go hunting but to go and shoot something and then watch others do the hard stuff just didn't appeal to me. A person born disabled and never doing it normally might get some enjoyment out of that but no me.
Several want me to duck hunt with them cause we have a few spots with accessible blinds for derelicts only, and in pretty good locations, but there they only want me for the spot, kind of like a handicap sticker for your car.
Always wanted to pheasant hunt but never did that. Also wanted a Sheep to go next to the goat I got bow hunting but would need a helicopter to make that happen now.