Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun   Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Design a Kahr

Default Design a Kahr

Just thinking that Sig is as close to having the capability to custom build a gun, similar to building a new car. With that in mind, do you think that Kahr could do something like this? Make it so buying a Kahr allows selecting grip, barrel lengths, mags, triggers, sights, etc from the factory; or would laws and regulations make this process too burdensome?

Are you suggesting a custom shop scenario like Colt has?
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
    I’d have to look. But custom is in the right line. I’m thinking you buy what’s on the LGS shelf or check some option boxes and get it delivered in a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
    So not that in depth. Just regular guns, but with options. Like the ability to still buy a covert, or a double stack option, or an RDS mount mulled in. Maybe a better trigger. Basically start at the C level and build up from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Covert Kahr View Post
    Just thinking that Sig is as close to having the capability to custom build a gun, similar to building a new car. With that in mind, do you think that Kahr could do something like this? Make it so buying a Kahr allows selecting grip, barrel lengths, mags, triggers, sights, etc from the factory; or would laws and regulations make this process too burdensome?
    I believe that they definitely COULD do something like that, but will they????????? I think it's highly unlikely. I'm sure that Kahr has studied all types of manufacturing scenarios. You can see the cost of the premium line. Imagine the cost of a custom build. It almost seems like they're laying back and staying out of the fray at this time. It could change in the future, but for now, I think that they're happy to sit on their laurels so to speak. It's probably a bit frustrating to Kahr customers that more innovations/options are not available, but it is what it is. It would be great if ALL the manufacturers would have a custom set up. They already give you a barrel choice in which model firearm you purchase. I don't think there is much changing in the trigger operation(imho). They have sight options. Holster options can always be better. Grips are always an issue. Magazines could be better quality/fit. I don't see much changing...………..

In my neck of the woods my LGS orders through one of several distributors, not the factory. So there is an ecosystem of sorts in place that this idea would seem to require and end around of that. I don't know if the factory would be willing to allow the distributors, who are their bread and butter, to be taken out of the equation.

The distributors can't be taken out of the equation. Factory can't sell direct to the public. A local shop here, now long gone after 70 years in business was grandfathered in and could purchase direct from Browning and I believe Colt but no new shop can.
    The factory could take a custom order but it would have to go through a distributor at some point.
    For me personally I don't think the size and purpose of Kahrs is conducive to Red Dot Sights and light rails and all that stuff. One would be trying to make it into something that it is not.
    I'd probably focus on refining them even more, addressing some of the common issues myself.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    The distributors can't be taken out of the equation. Factory can't sell direct to the public. A local shop here, now long gone after 70 years in business was grandfathered in and could purchase direct from Browning and I believe Colt but no new shop can.
    The factory could take a custom order but it would have to go through a distributor at some point.
    For me personally I don't think the size and purpose of Kahrs is conducive to Red Dot Sights and light rails and all that stuff. One would be trying to make it into something that it is not.
    I'd probably focus on refining them even more, addressing some of the common issues myself.
    There should be a way to keep the distributors involved still. Just route the purchase through them. Less direct to customer, just direct to customer requested features.

I’m not sure about a small RDS, but I think the optics game on a carry pistol is a lot more open than 5 years ago when RDS were really big and mediocre battery life.

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Interesting. I just five minutes ago wrote something of the same spirit on DefensiveCarry dot com. You looked on my paper, cheater!

rx7sig

I'm good at it, that's how I got through High School Algebra.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."