Mitch Rosen   Xssights   Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace

Thread: k9 finish question

Default k9 finish question

I picked this Kahr K9 up this morning for $300. I am trying to figure out if this is the factory finish on the gun. Ive never seen the barrel black around the chamber before. I called Kahr and they said it was manufactured in 1996, is this a good deal?
    thanks
    ive attached pictures below

https://imgur.com/gallery/Ve4w4Xd
    Last edited by smithgm91; 11-18-2019 at 05:05 PM. Reason: typo

That looks like the first black finish used on the early K9. It was called Black T and is known to be very durable. A bit rare also. Great deal on your new Kahr.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

awesome..was a little worried i had made a mistake and purchased one that had been re-finished.
    Thank You!

Still a great deal and Kahr did use the Black T which is a great finish, BUT I don't think that's it. I've seen Black T before and at least the ones I saw were smoother.
    I could be totally wrong on this but it looks more Cerakote to me.
    Still a great deal regardless.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Sounds like a Good deal to me.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

I don't know now, I looked closer at the pictures and maybe it is indeed Black T. Some of the later photo's look better. Might just be the picture or the lighting.
    Coworker had a barrel Black T'd and it was smooth, might be a change in the process.

Regardless, carry it proudly, it's a keeper.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

This is Black T finish from 2000 on an MK I used to own. You can decide whether it's the same finish. To me, it looks like a Cerakote type finish on yours. The finish on my former looked much smoother, thinner, and had a sheen to it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Does it say “stainless”?

Early Kahrs were carbon steel, either blued or Black T. If it says stainless, someone applied a black finish over it or, it has the factory diamond black finish.

(the picture doesn’t show up for me)

Why not just call or email Kahr and ask? I own 5 steel frame Kahrs, and all but one was purchased used. I emailed Kahr with multiple serials and questions, and they answered within a couple of days. Refinished or not, you didn't make a mistake and you got a great deal.