Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun   Tommy Gun Shop   CrossBreed Holsters

Thread: Drum mag engaging bolt hold open

Default Drum mag engaging bolt hold open

I have a new 1927A1 SBR. I picked up one of the 50 round drums from Sarco. The feeding is flawless but the bolt hold open is holding the bolt back every third or so round. I dont have a third hand tool. Would that stop this from happening or is it something else?

The third hand is only used to remove the drum, it serves no other purpose. It's just a little flat tool to lock the bolt back so you can remove the drum. Easily lost or misplaced but really handy when you need it.
    I'll have to ponder this some, no solution is popping into my head.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Next time I get a chance to shoot it (who knows when that could be) I think I might use a piece of electrical tape to hold down the BHO lever in the mag slot.

It doesnt take much force to lift the bolt hold open about half way through its travel, which is all it needs to engage the bolt, so I will definitely try holding it down with tape to test my theory.

I just played with mine a bit and your correct, the bolt hold open really has no pressure to hold it down. Mine has never locked the bolt back when I didn't want to. In fact it took me a minute to remember how it even worked, haven't had quality time with the Tommy in quite a spell.
    Now, I'll look for my third hand, I know I got one, I put it someplace where I wouldn't lose it. Where that might be is a mystery.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I bent a piece of number 12 house wire over the bolt hold open tab, then hooked the other end on the bottom of the magazine slot. Fired 50 rounds from the drum without the bolting locking back. I guess that proves my theory. I will have to make a removable piece that is a little nicer looking. Maybe I will give AO a call tomorrow and see if they have any input.