Tommy Gun   Kahr Shop   Crimsontrace   Xssights
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Late to the party

Default Late to the party

I know I'm late to the party, but I got a good deal on some of that Renaissance Wax Polish. I was looking for something to protect my stainless revolver a bit from the "elements". I wasn't concerned with scratches because I carry it. I've applied it per instructions twice now. On everything exposed on the outside, including grip inserts. A little dab l do ya. The instructions say " repeated use of the wax deepens the luster, reflecting more light from surfaces and making them more "lively". I don't know about you, but at my age I can use al the "lively" I can get. After 2 polishing's, it does seem to have a bit deeper shine. I'll polish it again in a couple of days, and keep up a regimen for a while, and I'll see if there is any difference. So far, it does make the metal smoother, and gives it a shine. You hardly need any, and if I used it for just my firearm, it would last many years. It also does not show fingerprints...……………………………………….

Where is it available for sale?
    I’d like to try it on my glossy stainless New Vaquero.
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

I'll probably have to play copy cat and try it on my glossy Vaquero too. Maybe you can be the guinea pig and go first.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I use Johnson's Paste Wax from the grocery store. I've had the same can for about 30 years. Works the same as what Bbone describes. I mentioned it once as part of my gun care regime but someone scoffed so I never brought it up again.

I used a tiny bit of furniture spray wax once and tested a spot. It worked ok, so I thought I would try the Renaissance. You never know what kind of nasty stuff is in spray wax.(acids) I can see how car polish would work. I tried this because it's used by museums to protect everything from furniture to pictures to vases to statues, glass, metal, etc. I was amazed that they use it on pictures. It averages about $15 for a 65ml can, which isn't a lot, but you can see that it goes a long way and doesn't break down like other waxes as long as you keep the lid tight. You can find it anywhere at the usual places, Fleabay, Amazoon, etc. I guess they have it at some Home Depots and Lowe's type stores also. It doesn't remove scratches, it just polishes and protects from the elements. I've seen a few vids where they use it on wooden rifle stocks to "spruce" them up a bit.

Less than $7 a 1 lb tin and good on all surfaces.
    https://www.scjohnson-professional.com/en-us/products/floor-care/paste-wax/sc-johnson-paste-wax

Not saying it's better or worse but I've used it for decades with good success on lots of stuff.

Renaissance states that in accelerated aging tests, all current commercial waxes based on the usual natural waxes(beeswax and carnauba) contain acids which in time could spoil original finishes on natural collections of furniture and other items. The Renaissance blend is man made and designed for long term protection on all classes of museum exhibits. It did not cause future problems or detract from intrinsic values of collections. It can be removed with white spirit(a petroleum distillate). They use it on paper kites and model airplanes to water proof. Leather, marble, musical instruments, automobiles(paint, rubber, plastic seals, upholstery) PH balanced(neutral) and will not damage sensitive materials, and does not even stain or darken white paper. Like I stated, we'll see how she goes. So far, it works well on stainless and wood. The Johnson's wax contains carnauba, paraffin, and deodorized naphtha. Naphtha is a solvent.

Quote Originally Posted by berettabone View Post
    Renaissance states that in accelerated aging tests, all current commercial waxes based on the usual natural waxes(beeswax and carnauba) contain acids which in time could spoil original finishes on natural collections of furniture and other items. The Renaissance blend is man made and designed for long term protection on all classes of museum exhibits. It did not cause future problems or detract from intrinsic values of collections. It can be removed with white spirit(a petroleum distillate). They use it on paper kites and model airplanes to water proof. Leather, marble, musical instruments, automobiles(paint, rubber, plastic seals, upholstery) PH balanced(neutral) and will not damage sensitive materials, and does not even stain or darken white paper. Like I stated, we'll see how she goes. So far, it works well on stainless and wood. The Johnson's wax contains carnauba, paraffin, and deodorized naphtha. Naphtha is a solvent.
    might pick up a can to check it out. I’ve got a decades-old can of Johnsons in my garage with a rag in it. Every time I use a tool, I give it a quick swipe. Keeps all my power and hand tools sharp and rust-free

Like skifli I've had a can of Mcguires car wax for at least 30 probably 40 years. I use it on knives that don't get used much. Never tried it on guns before.
    I know museums use the Renaissance wax on their expensive and irreplaceable stuff, so not much doubt it's good stuff.
    Don't know about the acids and other stuff that might effect things over a long period, could be so. Hopefully I got enough time to wait around and find out.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by skiflydive View Post
    Less than $7 a 1 lb tin and good on all surfaces.
    https://www.scjohnson-professional.com/en-us/products/floor-care/paste-wax/sc-johnson-paste-wax

Not saying it's better or worse but I've used it for decades with good success on lots of stuff.
    Sadly that is not the same yellow stuff it was when we bought it "years ago"...
    I apologize for that geezer speak right there

I have some of that "old" stuff, and have some of this stuff too:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FCPBX83...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Seems to be the same as that Renaissance stuff but is 8 oz. rather than 65ml/200ml, probably last 3x longer than what I need at my age .
    Read/scan the reviews, some are for use on guns.

I apologize if my post contains the same or similar information as someone who has posted before me.