CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop

Thread: Polish barrel on Kahrs will it affect performance?

Default Polish barrel on Kahrs will it affect performance?

The finish on the barrels of my Kahr Pm9 and S9 are really dull. Really nice looking guns but the barrels kind of ruin the look. Never polished a barrell before never wanted to. I like to polish the end and the rear part that is visable through the slide. I heard once that you shouldn't do that as it could effect performance. Anybody know if that is true?

I've polished all my Kahr barrels. They polish up very easy and shiny as can be. Shouldn't effect performance one bit, keep it oiled up as normal.
    The slide itself is much tougher to polish, I did some on my PM45, no where near mirror polish but plenty shiny.

The barrel as I said is easy on a bench grinder buffer wheel. 5 minute job with a 3 minute coffee break.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

A little mag wheel polish and a rag will remove the dullness, at least for a while. It won’t be a mirror finish but it will look much better.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

the barrels are nickel plated and I did mine with some 900 grit paper, followed up with a good Flitzing of the barrel,hood, and ramp; can almost see myself. having gotten swept up in the "magic" of the moment, I did my mags also!

NRA LIFER

IDPA BELIEVER

I also polish all my magazines. They also polish up real easy with a buffer. I don't use sandpaper, just the buffer and a little polishing compound. Super easy and super fast and I'm partial to shiny which is part of looking cool which of course is job one.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

High Plains Drifter, stuck in a Lowland swamp called California

Tell that to my wife...she is constantly powdering her nose trying to eliminate the shine.

I've polished my chamber and feed ramp, but my barrel is el'natural.
    23 years in a Federal Penitentiary, 6x8 double bunked rooms with toilets

I use Simichrome and some cotton patches, but if I had a polishing wheel for my Dremel, I imagine it'd make the job far easier.

I've used simichrome on barrels. And slides. I would stick to that. The dremel introduces a chance to come out with an uneven finish on the exterior, but also of taking off too much of the feedramp. There's not a large margin of error for that particular job. Just my $.02