Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CT 380 - first range outing = total fail... redeemable?

Default CT 380 - first range outing = total fail... redeemable?

Bought a used PM9 - excellent from day one. Bought a new ST9 - good from day one. Bought a new P9 Old Stock - runs Wolf like a champ. Eyed up an LGS CT 380 - VERY nice trigger and felt right. Went by the funshow and bought Rem UMC because I read reviews for this gun, and UMC seemed the best bet. I fired about 200 rounds on this first trip. Did not get through a single mag without having a failure to feed. The rounds don't go the whole way in. I had to feed MOST rounds by tapping or banging them into the chamber. All fired and ejected, but didn't feed. Toward the end I managed to get 4 launched out of the tube in a row without a FTF. I fully expected this to get batter and stop after 5 mags full. (OBTW, the ejector is lose when disassembled, but this should have nothing to do with feeding). Ejects nicely - just won't feed. Believe me it is HUGE fail for the gun to need banging on to feed 3-4 rounds out of a mag. It NEVER took the first round even using the slide stop. Ugh.

I LOVE the trigger on this gun and LOVE the way it shoots - soft and accurate. I will try another outing before I send it back to Kahr, but don't have much hope. Thoughts?

How any magazines do you have for it?
    If more than one, did it happen with all of them?
    If only one magazine, I'd check to see if the follower and spring are oriented properly to each other (shown below)

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

I would also try some other ammo.

Was it new or used?

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

All the same with both mags. The problem is NOT nose diving. They go into the chamber but cannot make it the whole way - I had to RAP the rear of the slide on the wooden bench every 2 rounds.

Weak recoil spring? How easy is it to rack the slide?

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

Slide is a bear to rack. A real bear. Maybe the chamber is way out of spec. Used UMC HP and ball.

Rounds seem to fit in the chamber but the chamber wall seems a tad rough compared to say
    my canik c 100. Maybe I’ll polish the chamber a bit.

+1 send it back. Be sure to tell them you are a multiple Kahr owner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwrBbUQze2k

This is what mine does but with two types of UMC - which again is supposedly gtg in these guns. His fix is interesting.

See if your extractor already has a radius on the bottom. I thought Kahr was doing that routinely now. Several members here have reduced the extractor tension in their P380 and CW380s. I reduced the tension on my P380 several years ago now by filing the back extractor pin down a small amount which in turn reduced the spring pressure on the extractor. A cheap part to replace with you go too far. Good luck.. Kahr will certainly fix you up if you send it in.
    Kahr P380 x2
    Kahr K9
    Kahr CM45
    Sig P938
    Sig P365 x2
    Sig P322
    1911 Range Officer 9mm
    M&P 9mm

There is not much of a radius, but maybe the whole deal is out of spec. (My P9 doesn't have the radius but feeds like gangbusters). I'll likely just call them tomorrow. Thanks.