Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun Shop   Crimsontrace   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CT 380 - first range outing = total fail... redeemable?

Quote Originally Posted by topgun1953 View Post
    See if your extractor already has a radius on the bottom. I thought Kahr was doing that routinely now. Several members here have reduced the extractor tension in their P380 and CW380s. I reduced the tension on my P380 several years ago now by filing the back extractor pin down a small amount which in turn reduced the spring pressure on the extractor. A cheap part to replace with you go too far. Good luck.. Kahr will certainly fix you up if you send it in.
    +++ on this. A no expense, reasonable thing to try before sending it back. My CW380 took shortening the rear pin by .025" in increments. If you search around there's another way to do it measuring the extractor tension but I had already done mine just by shortening the pin.

Some hope. I just tuned the extractor, polished it, the chamber face, the inside of the barrel hood and the ramp behind the bolt face. I polished the feed ramp earlier. In my adventure I noted that UNDER the extractor and on the face of the bolt/slide, there were some wicked machine marks. I took special care to sand the whole face down, especially this area, with 600-1500-2000 paper on a file. I also took a little metal off of the extractor plunger to make it easier and polished this interface.

Just tried to load a live (allI have) round of the UMC ball (which was a no go at the range) and it sucked into the chamber like a champ.Of course it ain't over yet till live fire, but this is promising. I really want to make this gun run, because the trigger it THAT good.

I also think that IF people knew how to do these things, more folks would keep their troubled Kahrs. No way Kahr is going to spend this much attention to detail - and no manufacture can afford to.

Some of these value line guns are a bit crude, but now I know more about tuning a Kahr!

I am thinking of ordering a machined extractor also.

Finally got it to the range. 100%. Ball, HP, even golden sabers with no problem. Beginning to think all Kahr problems or most can be solved with some polishing. Gun shoots great.

Great news.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

Yes, that’s good to hear.
    I just wish my CT380 slide was easier ti rack.
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by kahrbrian View Post
    Finally got it to the range. 100%. Ball, HP, even golden sabers with no problem. Beginning to think all Kahr problems or most can be solved with some polishing. Gun shoots great.
    Great news and a "well done!!"
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Quote Originally Posted by kahrbrian View Post
    Slide is a bear to rack. A real bear. Maybe the chamber is way out of spec. Used UMC HP and ball.

Rounds seem to fit in the chamber but the chamber wall seems a tad rough compared to say
    my canik c 100. Maybe I’ll polish the chamber a bit.
    Sorry to hear your results. But to make you feel better but its off topic your Canik C100 is a nice gun. I have one myself.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

I'm late to this party, but as a P380 owner I could have saved you the investigation. Just skip to the end - your extractor tension is too high. Remove the slide cover plate, pull out the offending spring and clip a coil, then test for free-feeding. Clip another half-coil if needed. The gun will transform in your hands.
    Something to know about Kahr's guns. The parts themselves are well-designed and dimensionally correct. They don't need any polishing or grinding or removal of material. Every Kahr problem I've round has been directly related to springs....usually too stiff, and in the case of the P380, so long that when compressed into the slide tunnel, "freezes" the extractor which is why it will only chamber when you FORCE it into battery, save for the occasional rim that's able to fit between the inside face of the extractor and the opposite slide wall.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56x24 View Post
    I'm late to this party, but as a P380 owner I could have saved you the investigation. Just skip to the end - your extractor tension is too high. Remove the slide cover plate, pull out the offending spring and clip a coil, then test for free-feeding. Clip another half-coil if needed. The gun will transform in your hands.
    Something to know about Kahr's guns. The parts themselves are well-designed and dimensionally correct. They don't need any polishing or grinding or removal of material. Every Kahr problem I've round has been directly related to springs....usually too stiff, and in the case of the P380, so long that when compressed into the slide tunnel, "freezes" the extractor which is why it will only chamber when you FORCE it into battery, save for the occasional rim that's able to fit between the inside face of the extractor and the opposite slide wall.
    If you read my most I did SHORTEN the extractor plunger a tad. But if you saw the chamber face, you would have polished it too. There are also videos on the shaping of the extractor and they make sense. A sharp edged extractor, with a too strong ext. spring set, and machine marks where the round has to slip onto make for feeding problems. But, I see your point.

Well done KahrBrian!