Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Standard T9 or Elite?

Default Standard T9 or Elite?

I am in the market for a larger 9mm. I have a PM9 but I'm looking for a larger version for plinking, target shooting and the occasional time when I carry open.

I have no problem getting the higher feature version. I got a PM9 rather than a CW9 and a P380 over the CW380 because I was able to recognize and value the differences.

I am finding it not so easy to differentiate the Elite T9 from the standard. Is the polished slide pretty much it? I have been leaning toward the Elite but I found a T9 used so I am wondering.

Thanks!!!!

I honestly didn't know there was an Elite T9 model. I imagine the polished slide is the bulk of the difference. The internals I'm sure are the same.
    Around here finding a T of any flavor is rare as chicken lips. I've only seen one used one at a gun show and kicked myself over and over for not grabbing it.
    I finally got around to ordering a new one and don't kick myself at all for that, not even once.
    It's not an Elite but I'm very fond of it.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

It was introduced late last year.

https://shopkahrfirearmsgroup.com/co...-night-sights/

Quote Originally Posted by SteveOak View Post
    I am finding it not so easy to differentiate the Elite T9 from the standard. Is the polished slide pretty much it?
    My 2018 T9 has standard sights, while that link to the T9 Elite shows Night Sights with the polished slide.

Only you decide if those 2 features are worth it, but I'd bet dollars to donuts the triggers would be similar.

As for night sights, if you can't see your sights chances are you won't be able to see your target either. I have a few guns that came with them, but I don't go out of my way to get them.

Old No7
    "Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH

My T came with night sights, I wasn't specific on model but it has them.
    I do agree with not seeing your sights and target. Many are obsessed with them but like you I don't get worked up about them.
    Now days I focus on trying to find sights that I can see.
    I still like the XS sights best I think. Show up very well in light and dark, maybe I am worked up after all?
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I think the elite t9 has a textured front strap. The exact reason I’m holding out for the elite

Quote Originally Posted by Old No7 View Post
    My 2018 T9 has standard sights, while that link to the T9 Elite shows Night Sights with the polished slide.

Only you decide if those 2 features are worth it, but I'd bet dollars to donuts the triggers would be similar.

As for night sights, if you can't see your sights chances are you won't be able to see your target either. I have a few guns that came with them, but I don't go out of my way to get them.

Old No7
    No interest in night sights. If the trigger is the same the Standard will work for me. I will have a go at polishing the slide.

I recently purchased a new T40. Personally I did not want the polished slide, but wanted the night sights (even if they aren't the best on the market). An additional plus to the night sights is that they are square, if you play into that one handed emergency rack technique.

Be aware, the T series is HEAVY for the size. My K9 feels like a featherweight in comparison even though it's listed as only a 4 oz difference (23oz vs 27oz). Just as a comparison, an unloaded G17 and my FNX9 both weigh in at 22oz (website stats). Even though my 357 magnum is 5 oz heavier, they feel similar in weight in hand. The plus side for me, is that the weight really tames the 40 cartridge (I know you're looking at the T9), and I prefer the thicker grip. As much as I like shooting the T40, I usually end up carrying the 357 (between the two... and yes, I enjoy shooting the 357 also).

Just my opinion, but the K9 is a joy to shoot at the range. I would suggest handling both the K9 and the T9 if you have the opportunity. Additionally, the K variants have the option of wood, hogue, or even aftermarket grips, like those from Lakeline.

Last, if you plan on carrying, there seems to be more holster selection for the K9 over the T9 from the "off the shelf" manufacturers... especially if you don't like the holsters with the slide/barrel sticking out.

My T9 fit in my Garrett Silent Thunder 1911 commander holster like it was made for it. They don't list one for the T, I even emailed them. I'm always reluctant to carry a gun in a holster not specifically made for it but it fits so nice I figure if it' wearing on a spot in the holster that negatively effects my 1911 carry I'll just order a new one for it. 98% of the time the Cbob is riding in it anyhow.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

Quote Originally Posted by Scott321 View Post
    I recently purchased a new T40. Personally I did not want the polished slide, but wanted the night sights (even if they aren't the best on the market). An additional plus to the night sights is that they are square, if you play into that one handed emergency rack technique.

Be aware, the T series is HEAVY for the size. My K9 feels like a featherweight in comparison even though it's listed as only a 4 oz difference (23oz vs 27oz). Just as a comparison, an unloaded G17 and my FNX9 both weigh in at 22oz (website stats). Even though my 357 magnum is 5 oz heavier, they feel similar in weight in hand. The plus side for me, is that the weight really tames the 40 cartridge (I know you're looking at the T9), and I prefer the thicker grip. As much as I like shooting the T40, I usually end up carrying the 357 (between the two... and yes, I enjoy shooting the 357 also).

Just my opinion, but the K9 is a joy to shoot at the range. I would suggest handling both the K9 and the T9 if you have the opportunity. Additionally, the K variants have the option of wood, hogue, or even aftermarket grips, like those from Lakeline.

Last, if you plan on carrying, there seems to be more holster selection for the K9 over the T9 from the "off the shelf" manufacturers... especially if you don't like the holsters with the slide/barrel sticking out.
    Are you referring to the T40 Elite?

I am good with the weight. I am looking to replace a Colt Lightweight Commander which is, I think, an ounce lighter.

Also, the T9, Standard or elite should fit the box of holsters I have from the Colt.

The Galco Yaqui slide is my fav 1911 holster.

Vive la difference!!!
    Last edited by SteveOak; 12-31-2019 at 07:35 PM.