Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun Shop

Thread: Don Hume

Default Don Hume

Anyone here use Don Hume holsters??????? I was on the search for a minimalist holster for my SP101. With holsters, less is more for me. Found a DH JIT slide holster for $11 below retail w/free ship. I like it a lot so far. Holds high and snug at 3:00-4:00 o'clock position and conceals very nicely. It does have an open end and you know there are 2 schools of thought about that. It doesn't protect the business end totally, but doesn't pick up stuff in the end of your barrel from a closed holster. The leather isn't the thickest, but it's thick enough to reholster with no issues, and is finished on the edges, which many less expensive holsters are not. Also, I've heard that if you sit down just right and have the holster in just the right position, it can push up on your firearm and cause your firearm to fall out. I don't think it's a common occurrence considering how many of these holsters they sell, and for how long. We'll give it some more ride time, but I think it's going to be a winner. Met someone on Xmas day who was open carrying his Charter Bulldog in something similar. Otherwise, I know no one who uses the holster type or product.

I have used the JIT for many years with no problems. I have one for every type of handgun that I own.

I have 2 Don Hume JIT’s. I carry my S&W 642 in one and my CM9 in another. I’m left handed. I carry cross draw between 2and 3 o’clock. Great product..!!

Quote Originally Posted by berettabone View Post
    Anyone here use Don Hume holsters?
    berettabone,

Yes, I have one DH 721 Open Top for my Sig P229 (used for my M11-A1, also), and another for my Kahr K9. Both are used as range holsters. I am very pleased with both, although they both are cut for 1.75" belts (my belt is a 1.5"), and they do not have a thumb strap.

My CC holster for my K9 is a Mitch Rosen 5JR with Thumb Break. It is lined, and it is cut for a 1.5" belt. I am extremely pleased with this holster. In fact, I seldom use the K9's DH holster anymore, preferring to use only the K9's MR holster almost exclusively.

ETA: I CC at my 9:00. (I am left-handed.)

rx7sig

I had forgotten the fact that it can be used in a cross draw position, very well in fact........................................

Don Hume has been making quality holsters for forever. 25 years that I know of... and they weren't new then.

Thumb breaks are to keep guns from falling out of holsters that don't fit properly.

Or for cops to prevent thugs from grabbing their gun when in a crowd. I got no use for them myself.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by trinan View Post
    Don Hume has been making quality holsters for forever. 25 years that I know of... and they weren't new then.
    Actually, they've been making them for over 50 years, but who's counting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Thumb breaks are to keep guns from falling out of holsters that don't fit properly.

Or for cops to prevent thugs from grabbing their gun when in a crowd. ...
    Or for anyone (like me) who endeavors to reduce the chance of his/her CCW falling out of his holster when he (1) drops his pants before sitting on a toilet in a public bathroom, or (2) stumbles and falls when he is walking/hiking/biking/running (or doing a backflip while disco dancing)--especially for heavy-ish CCW's like a K9 (25 oz + ~4 oz ammo) or a .357 Sig X-Changed M11-A1 (~33 oz + ~8 oz ammo).

rx7sig

If a holster fits properly one can skydive, do somersaults and it won't fall out. I've went out of my chair a few times (this can be very ugly and far worse than falling down) and 1911 was snug as a bug.
    If your used to a thumb break and prefer that, I got your back 100 percent. Me, I'd like a little spring under the muzzle so when I want the gun it sort of pops up and meets me half way but that's probably a futuristic invention. Maybe I'll work on that.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."