Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new   CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights

Thread: Pre owned K9 finish?

Default Pre owned K9 finish?

Hi,

I just picked up a K9 matte black. The date on the envelope holding the test shell casing is from 2003.

I also have a stainless K9 that I've owned for 20 years.

I'm curious about the dark finish. The slide is a darker and different finish compared to the frame.

I'm assuming someone will know why? Thanks

Anyone?

IMHO, they were trying many different things back then, and earlier than 03. Different frame configurations, different coatings, springs, etc. If I were to guess, you got one with a black T coating on the slide. Maybe it's just a slight color change from heat. Couldn't tell you what they were doing to the outside of the frame. Of course pics would/could help. You should introduce yourself to the crowd, and I use that term loosely.

Quote Originally Posted by leonidas View Post
    Hi,

I just picked up a K9 matte black. The date on the envelope holding the test shell casing is from 2003.

I also have a stainless K9 that I've owned for 20 years.

I'm curious about the dark finish. The slide is a darker and different finish compared to the frame.

I'm assuming someone will know why? Thanks

As berettabone writes, Kahr used several different finishes and different surface treatments around that time. Also, there were still some carbon steel slides being used (I don't know about complete carbon steel guns). Without more info, the possibility of a refinish should not be discounted. Photos of your recently acquired K9 would help with conjectures as to the differences in it's finish.

You don't have enough posts to attach the photos via this website, but you can upload them offsite (I use https://postimages.org) then either link their location or post them here using BB code (postimages.org includes the code in links they provide). If that doesn't work, PM me and I'll provide an email address that you can send them to and I'll post them for you.

BTW, welcome to the forums

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

If you call Kahr, someone will be able to tell you what the frame is made of. If your gun came with a box, you may be lucky enough that the original Kahr product code is listed on a sticker on the case. If you look in one of the manuals, they list codes that indicate what the gun is made of. One code not listed is “BOX”. That stands for Black Oxide-coated Stainless Steel.

The reason I mentioned the BOX finish is that my MK9 was made in 2003, and has a BOX slide on a stainless steel (matte gray) frame. That slide looks very different than my black DLC finish on my 2012 P380. The DLC finish on the P380 is “blacker” than the BOX coating on my MK9.

-Wlf