Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun Shop

Thread: Pressure induced mag release..?????

Default Pressure induced mag release..?????

I've been doing some aftermarket mods to my EDC CM9 this past year. I posted my experience with the MagGuts 6 to 7 rd magazine conversion in that thread, in 2 responses. The function of those converted magazines has been flawless. At the range, I load the gun 7+1 for practice because that's how I carry it.
    With use, getting that 7th round into the magazine has become a little easier, but by no means.."easy". There's a lot of pressure there.
    Here's my observation, and question:
    I'm carrying the CM9 in a Don Hume JIT. Every once in a great while....I find that while the magazine is still in the gun, it has "self-released". It's almost imperceptible to casual appearance, just looking at the gun...but when I push the magazine into the mag well,,,there's a perceptible "click" as it re-seats.
    I'm wondering if this has been happening to others, with or without the MagGuts conversion. I haven't done any testing to see if the added pressure of the converted 7 rd magazine is putting too much pressure on the CM9's mag catch. If no one here has an explanation and solution, I'll do some research on my own. First thing that comes to mind is to load up the gun 7+1 and leave it in a drawer for a couple of weeks. Take myself out of the picture and confirm whether or not the occasional "release" I'm getting is being caused by hitting the mag release inadvertently while carrying.
    All thoughts and suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

I doubt that that any additional spring tension would cause the magazine catch to fail. I suspect your problem might be similar to what I had on my P380. Like you, I would sometimes find the magazine dropped just a hair. I decided that it was probably the magazine release button. It sat very high above the surface of the grip, so it wasn't unreasonable to think that throughout the day it could get pushed in. I removed the magazine release, filed down the surface quite, and reblackened it with a touch-up pen. Since then, the gun as not accidentally released the magazine.

Afterthoughts:
    Filing the button will slow down your high-speed tactical reloads when you're fighting like John Wick--if John Wick would ever carry a P380. I don't carry a spare magazine for this gun, so it's not an issue. You could cut striations into the filed-down button so it looked factory, but I saw no need for that. Looking at the gun right now in it's holster, the button is just about flush with the leather. Before I filed it, it must have stuck up WAY high over the leather. It's been like this for several years now, and I have no regrets.

Thanks for your thoughts and the suggestion. Just for the heck of it, I'm going to load it up, make sure the magazine is fully seated then leave it in a drawer untouched for a couple of weeks. That will give me an idea of whether or not the magazine catch is simply failing over some interval of time, without being inadvertently brushed while carried in my Don Hume JIT. I don't know who John Wick is but I do carry a spare mag and don't want to do anything that might make a decent reliable reload feasible. Unfortunately...everything about CCW in today's America is about compromise. In an open carry world, I carry my Browning Hi-Power and 2 spare mags.
    If I can figure out how to remove the mag release button, taking it down a little might be the best option. I have also considered building up the frame just a little bit around the button but not sure how to accomplish that given the frame material.