Crimsontrace   Kahr Shop   Xssights   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 64

Thread: Kind of slow here

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    627

    Default Kind of slow here

    Iím pulling the lever like a fiend. Must feed all of them. Anyone else?

    Been into 45 acp, 200 SWC Berryís for the past few months. All my pistols love em, even the carbine.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Wet & Wild Pacific NW
    Posts
    30,735

    Default

    I haven't pulled the handle for quite some time. I was pulling like crazy for awhile and built up a surplus, then dept transitioned to a different duty ammo and I was able to acquire some factory so I'm good for awhile.

    I do kind of enjoy pulling the handle though, been pondering loading some 38's or 44's which I haven't loaded in years. Don't shoot them much.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

    RIP Muggsy & TMan

    "If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    NE Texas
    Posts
    3,259

    Default

    I noticed about 9 years ago when I finally delved into re-loading that the chatter here (reloading) just seemed to come to an abrupt halt. Even though I've been about half brain dead since 2016, I never stopped reloading .... I do something to do with the habit ... hobby .... at least weekly. Only six different chamberings, both cast and jacketed in all of them, but it covers everything I have except .22 and .32acp (the .32 acp is the wife's and she don't care to shoot much). Haven't bought a factory round (other than a few .22 lr) since 2010 ... and don't plan to. Not sure since I have an abundant supply of brass, but I wonder if I've reached the stage of taking ammo to the range just to empty it so it needs re-loading.

    jd
    ________________________________________
    ---------------------------------------------------

    It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Wet & Wild Pacific NW
    Posts
    30,735

    Default

    I haven't bought factory even 22 since then or before. I'll probably get sticker shock if I ever have to buy any.

    I mostly just load 45. I loaded a bunch of calibers before rifle and pistol but now days, the 45 is it. I will probably start 38 and 357 again one of these days.

    I take that back, I did buy a couple 500 rd boxes of 9mm not long ago. It was cheap enough and I had no brass that it was cheaper to buy it. Plus them little bitty bullets must be tough to load, hard to see and tiny to pick up.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

    RIP Muggsy & TMan

    "If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    627

    Default

    Nice to have some chatter here. Reloading for 12 years on a Dillion SDB. That little press is a real workhorse about 8k of 45 per year plus a few thousand of 9mm. I load mostly for myself but also for a couple of fellow shooters. Iím a 45acp guy, 9mm doesnít do much for me. For the last year Iíve been shooting the hell out my JRC carbine and CZ97. Canít set then down seams like just to cool off, clean and back at it. People ask if itís cheaper to reload, my response is NO because you just shoot more. The only factory ammo purchased since into reloading are SD rounds and .556 which doesnít get me excited, too loud. Rather run the 45 carbine.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    6,638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DJK11 View Post
    Nice to have some chatter here. Reloading for 12 years on a Dillion SDB. That little press is a real workhorse about 8k of 45 per year plus a few thousand of 9mm. I load mostly for myself but also for a couple of fellow shooters. Iím a 45acp guy, 9mm doesnít do much for me. For the last year Iíve been shooting the hell out my JRC carbine and CZ97. Canít set then down seams like just to cool off, clean and back at it. People ask if itís cheaper to reload, my response is NO because you just shoot more. The only factory ammo purchased since into reloading are SD rounds and .556 which doesnít get me excited, too loud. Rather run the 45 carbine.
    Seeing you have the CZ75B and the CZ97, how would you compare the shooting experience and ergonomics between the two? Maybe the CZ97 to your TP45 too. Iíve been pondering a CZ97 for a while now and I like 45 but have no access to try a CZ97.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

    Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    NE Texas
    Posts
    3,259

    Default

    It's good to see that there still are quite a few .45 auto fans. I'll admit that re-loading the .45 auto is my favorite to load, just above the .44 mag. Like "B" insinuated, those big fat bullets are much easier to handle. I don't shoot 9mm anywhere near as much as I did pre-2011 so it would probably be cheaper (especially right now) to just buy factory .... but I still load what I shoot anyway. Loading the 9mm, to me, is just not a relaxing "chore".

    Speaking of .45 auto, I've been on a kick the last couple of months using AA#2. Been thinking about giving it a try for the last 7-8 years and finally got around to it. Cast bullets, 200-230 gr, with 5.3 - 5.4 gr of AA#2 has turned out to be a real winner. Accurate, economical and produces ave of 860 fps in my 4" Kimber. The X-Treme plated bullets tend to work well also.


    jd
    ________________________________________
    ---------------------------------------------------

    It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    627

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yqtszhj View Post
    Seeing you have the CZ75B and the CZ97, how would you compare the shooting experience and ergonomics between the two? Maybe the CZ97 to your TP45 too. Iíve been pondering a CZ97 for a while now and I like 45 but have no access to try a CZ97.
    Ironic that you chime in, Iím still drooling over your P-01 picture. LGS has one and may take a drive to fondle.

    The 97 is big and the grip is large front to back, a long reach, but itís thin with the Lok grips. Mine is the CA model and came with the fake wood grips, kind of wide. I have the OEM aluminum grips but prefer the Lok. The 75 seems very light at the muzzle end maybe from the short dust cover. No muzzle flip from either, both shoot dead nuts and can make a lousy shooter look good. Iím a combat not bullseye shooter but at 30í you can do the Lethal Weapon smiley face. Being both a ďBĒ the ergonomics are the same just more heft to the 97. At 25 yards the 97 will keep all rounds on an 8.5 x 11 paper. If shooting at a combat range stationary target it gets boring quickly.

    I have CGW parts in both and polished the internals of the 97 but itís not as smooth overall as the 75, go figure. The 75 slide is smoother but the 97 trigger is better. Donít shoot the 75 much.

    TP45 to the 97? Thatís tough, two totally different pistols. Been handling Kahr 45s for about ten years so itís like an extension of my hand. Just point and pull. I do carry the 97 at times and the heft reminds you that your carrying a gun. A good reassuring reminder. Just something about a heavy 45, maybe being older.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    627

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    It's good to see that there still are quite a few .45 auto fans. I'll admit that re-loading the .45 auto is my favorite to load, just above the .44 mag. Like "B" insinuated, those big fat bullets are much easier to handle. I don't shoot 9mm anywhere near as much as I did pre-2011 so it would probably be cheaper (especially right now) to just buy factory .... but I still load what I shoot anyway. Loading the 9mm, to me, is just not a relaxing "chore".

    Speaking of .45 auto, I've been on a kick the last couple of months using AA#2. Been thinking about giving it a try for the last 7-8 years and finally got around to it. Cast bullets, 200-230 gr, with 5.3 - 5.4 gr of AA#2 has turned out to be a real winner. Accurate, economical and produces ave of 860 fps in my 4" Kimber. The X-Treme plated bullets tend to work well also.


    jd
    Yes Iím also glad to see 45 fans. 45acp and the big entrance hole will never fade away. As for powder, last few years itís been TiteGroup, WST and Bullseye. TiteGroup is economical and yields acceptable results. WST is my favorite, soft recoil, low noise and flash and very accurate. Bullseye I load for a friend, donít know why he likes it but he does. Burns fast, loud and harsh recoil. Just a big ol bang. But itís accurate.

    No powderpuff loads

    Berryís plated 185 HBRN with TG 5.1 at 1.225Ē
    Berrys plated 200 SWC with 4.9 TG 200 SWC with WST 5.0
    Berrys plated 230 RN with 4.8 TG at 1.250. 230 RN with WST 4.9 at 1.235

    I have loaded ACME red coated and Buyue green coated both with very good results just more smoke.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    627

    Default

    Forgot to mention. At a recent range trip, itís a range and large gun shop, a customer was finishing up a purchase of a 40 cal pistol. I asked the employee that Iíve known for 20+ years how many 40s they sell lately. He stated 40 is not dead with younger and newer shooters but many are going to 9mm. I said they should be moving to 45. HOLY $#/% he blew a gasket and said I canít wait for old people like you to die off and take 45 with you.

    Needless to say I had a great day blowing huge holes in targets.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop   Magnum Research new