Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun   Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Kind of slow here

Well, I'm not a whole lot different. I won't buy any hammerless revolver. If I need accuracy, I'll thumb that hammer back .... but if I need a quick follow-up shot, it needs to be done double action. I just about have to have two hands to thumb the trigger on any frame larger than my SP-101, and that's not always possible.

jd

It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

The SP101 or any of the Double Actions don't thumb cock nearly as nice as a single action. A Blackhawk or the old Colts have everything shaped much better. It's kind of natural like the thumb safety on a 1911.

With some practice one can get pretty quick with a thumb buster.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    Unfortunately for those of us with "digitally challenged" hands (short fingers) there just aren't a whole lot of handguns that fit

jd
    You might be surprised with the Flattop... it has the smaller grip. I have an old 'new' model Vaquero in .45 Colt, it's grip is a pig compared to that slim .44 grip. It was a nice handling pistol... and I'm not a fan of SA ergonomics. Granted, the follow-up shot thing may be a deal killer for you... but if Hollywood is shooting us straight, only ONE shot from a .44 should handle any situation...

I did get the C.A. 44 spl back yesterday ... since I took the time several weeks ago to type my own description of the issues ("light strikes" instead of "misfires" that my ffl buddy told them the first return), they actually did address the correct issue. I didn't dare tell them that I had already bought an "extra power" hammer spring from Wolff and tested it before having the ffl send it back for a second trip. The Wolff spring did work to some degree (I think mainly by speeding up the hammer just enough to catch the transfer bar before it completely dropped out of range), as it had no failures to fire due to light/no strikes. But, they were pretty severe strikes .... almost, but not quite, pierced primers. I never mentioned that personal "test". They sent it back with the explanation that the "factory" had installed the wrong spring initially, and they replaced it with the proper spring. Well, instead of playing surveyor all morning, I came back by the house from picking up the gun and grabbed a box of cartridges and went to the range. I could tell that the new spring was somewhere between the strength of the originally installed spring and the "extra power" spring I tested. I alternated between shooting single action for five rounds and double action for five rounds, shooting a total of fifteen rounds of each. There were no issues in single action, and I actually kept them all inside a 4 inch circle from a whopping 10 yards . On the other hand, I had two light strikes (of 15 rounds) when shooting double action ... same as before - just not quite as bad. Since I'm shooting my own loads, I know how they are put together and due to the known "light strike" issue you can bet that a whole lot of extra attention is given at "priming the brass time". I've had this issue with older mixed brass and with new Starline brass. I've had this issue when using both Winchester primers and with Federal primers.

Since I bought a 700 round batch of 200 gr cast bullets just to try in the 44 spl, I'm gonna go ahead and make up a few of them to try (just to experience the feel) before making a final decision on the future of the C.A.. Probably just use the same rather light load of Unique (5.5 gr) that I was using with the 240 gr bullets (around 750 fps at last chrony test).

jd

That hammer on the SP101 can be improved a bit with some polishing and some shims. Those single action hammer's just have a feel, smooth, no grit, easy, and a tight lock up. Some of the double actions are definitely rough. I had been keeping my eyes open for a Pitbull in .40. Now you've got me thinking.....................................

Glad you got it back and it’s working right Mr. Serv……..I’ve always wanted one of those CA Bulldog .44 revolvers, another one on the list……Whenever I think about a .44 I think of that grave marker from “Tombstone” Here lies Lester Moore 5 shots from a .44 No Les No More

My SP-101 has performed perfectly since I bought it LNIB (1993 safe queen) in 2010. It's the gun that finally convinced me to take up reloading a couple months after I got it. It's been my 5-6 day a week carry gun (especially "in the field" doing land surveys) ever since. I think I may have put two boxes of factory ammunition through it before I started reloading ... since then it's had a healthy diet of reloads, of which 95% were/are cast bullets. I bought the Bulldog on a whim back at the end of last November, mostly because I've never owned a 44 spl, although I've owned .44 magnum shooters (still have my favorite Rossi R92 that gets shot at least one trip a month). But the reason for the Bulldog in particular, it's the only small framed 44 spl DA/SA revolver I've ever found that would properly fit my hand as well as the SP-101. I'm just afraid that the "light strike" issue with the Bulldog is more a design defect of the whole transfer bar system. After seeing the extremely deep primer indents from testing the Wolff "extra power" spring, I'm not going to put it back in the gun to try to overcome what may be a factory design defect.

I'm headed out to the old man amusement park to try the half box of 200 gr bullets - 4.7 gr of AA#2 - Win LPP that I loaded up. I'd doubt that using new Starline brass and very carefully seated Win LPP's will make any difference. I'm just interested to see how much difference there is between the 240 gr lswc bullet and the 200 gr lrnfp bullet.

jd

There sure is enough reading on the Bulldog and its issues. Seems that some were fixed with spring changes. Some not. Some trigger bar issues. Some not. Lots of do's and don'ts opinions on strength of loads. I'm sure you've read them. I guess my question would be trust. Even as a truck gun, it's got to work.............................................. .................

Yeah, I've other CA revolvers (38 spl) in the past, and they weren't anything to write home about. And, I for sure did a lot of net searching concerning Charter Arms products. It just seemed to me, and not taking any detailed notes, that some models were about 90% functional out of the box .... and some closer to 50/50. When I bought the Bulldog last November I immediately figured it was in that old 50/50 category, but it felt so good in my hand I was willing to take the chance. I really was thinking that my seven years of bad luck just may be over, and I'd be celebrating with a new caliber field gun. Today I decided to whip together some mousefart loads with 4.7 gr AA#2 and the new-to-me 200 gr RimRock RNFP bullets. I had faith in the gun to go bang often enough I could see what the 200 gr bullets did. That was about it concerning the gun. All totaled I shot 45 rounds of various loads, probably 30 rounds single action and 15 rounds double action. Again, single action was 100%, and double action still had two light strikes out of 15 rounds. The more I shoot the danged thing the more I like it and really want it to work out.

I do know I won't be wasting my effort on AA#2 the next time around - it's time to move up to AA#5

jd

Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post

I do know I won't be wasting my effort on AA#2 the next time around - it's time to move up to AA#5

jd
    Swing up to McKinney... I'll give you a pound of Unique... Then you can REALLY load for the .44SPC.