Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new   Xssights   Crimsontrace
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Kind of slow here

We'll be standing by awaiting a review and report.

By the way I sort of tested the waters with the wife about me maybe getting a CA 44 Spl, she kind of balked as usual so I told her you said it was ok. Hope your good with that. I didn't tell her where you live or anything so you don't have to sleep with a metal garbage can over your upper body to keep her from getting to your throat or anything. I do just to be safe but that's just me.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

As an update to the CA Bulldog dilemma ....

I finally did get a chance Friday afternoon to get to the amusement park and try some reloads, and well as the "factory ammunition" again. The first 20 of my reloads ran through without a hitch, then the next few (five or six) started the light strike again. Also same light strike issue with the "factory" stuff. All but two (one factory and one reload) finally lit up after two or three strikes. As much as I wish it weren't the case, I believe the "less than expensive" Charter Arms is on it's way back to the mother ship tomorrow.

Dang, I coulda' had a V8

jd

It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

Funny after 20 it starts to act up. Wonder about bad primers especially if the don't light after a second hit but having several would kind of throw that theory out the window I reckon.
    Guess we'll have to see what the mother ship has to say about it.
    I got a couple others on my shopping list, one on order and the second still pondering so I got time to see how yours comes out.
    I told the missus you were ok with my shopping list too. Thanks
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Well, the primer issue is what I was thinking/hoping was the original culprit. Keep in mind that this all started the first trip out with what I thought may be suspect ammo that I bought from my toy store with the Bulldog. I had 5-6 light strikes, some of those taking more than one extra strike to go bang. Hoping it was the ammo, I didn't want the problem to be the gun, again (my last new handgun purchase was a Springfield XDS 45 in 2013 recalled for safety issue, came back crap and sold). That's the reason I scrounged together the on hand components and put together a couple different light loads of my own with firmly seated primers. For some reason I got 20 flawless rounds through the tube .... then it started light striking again on both my reloads and the "factory" ammo.

I'm wondering if the transfer bar could be the issue ... it sure don't look like it properly covers the firing pin. At this point, I don't care what it is - I'm not going to play gunsmith on it. It's up to C.A. now.

jd

edit to add: took it back to the "toy store" at 9:00 am ... my ffl enabler agreed it needs to go back and he's taking care of it
    Last edited by mr surveyor; 11-29-2021 at 09:54 AM.

the lgs just called a few minutes ago to tell me that the wayward .44 spl was back from the C.A. "mothership", and said their repair letter noted that the timing was in fact "off" .... they supposedly repaired it. I'll pick it up in an hour or so.

That means I can go ahead and return to the .44 spl reloading

jd

You need to hit the old man amusement park and make sure she works. Good thing I didn't get any of the other toys on my list, I can shift back to the CA. You can't be the only kid on the block packing a 44?
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

I did go pick it up ... the repair ticket surprised my lgs bud ... it was a lot more detailed than what he was accustomed to see. The short story, the timing was way off - they replaced the hand and extractor star and tweaked/adjusted. Then shot an undisclosed number of test rounds ... same 245 gr lswc factory "cowboy loads" as I plan to shoot in it most of the time. I have both 245 gr and 250 gr cast plain based bullets on hand and plenty of the faster powders suited for the use. I just got through with giving it a good cleaning, and it needed it. They must have put quite a few of their test rounds through the bore, and from the lead I had to clean out I'd guess they were shooting .429 cast bullets.

Maybe next week things will get back to my new normal and I can have uninterrupted time to tinker with making some proper hole punchers to take to the amusement park

jd

To update .... next week came early today at 4:00 pm. When no one was watching me, I took the Bulldog out to the range with my previously constructed .44 spl loads of 240 gr lswc over 5.5 gr of Unique to give it a "new gun - sent back to the mothership for repair - repaired and returned" exam. Wow - that "less than expensive" CA Bulldog ran fantastic, and accurate in my hands. Best thing, beyond it working as it should, it fits my digitally challenged hand perfect.

So, now I can get back to the reloading talk

jd

That's great news. You know how I love happy endings.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

At 68 years old now, the words "happy ending" are conjuring up a whole lot different meaning. In cases like the current one, I prefer the words "happy beginning" - and addition of the words "of many years of happy experiences". Sounds more better, huh?

jd