Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun   Xssights   Mitch Rosen
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Kind of slow here

Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    dang, it's slowed down again ....

this morning, early, I squeezed down a few pieces of 45 auto and 9mm brass ... worked a while .... then loaded a small batch of 44 mag....worked a bit more ... then went to the toy store to pick up another can of AA#9 and got mesmerized by a Charter Bulldog 44 spl sitting in the cabinet .... didn't come home with it - but maybe soon

gonna need more 44 spl brass

jd
    Funny, I was just browsing for a Charter Arms Bulldog Pug. Had one in an earlier life and really liked it. This back when some were good and some were not so good. I had a good one and it wasn't the least bit uncomfortable to shoot. Thought I'd look for another one. Gonna need more 44 Spl brass here too I reckon.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I have a Charter Arms Bulldog at the top of my current list of things I need……I pocket carry my PM9 which works great for me unless I’m driving my pickup and if it ever became necessary to pull it for some reason it would be real slow at best…..My last copy of Dillon Blue Press magazine had a story about a new Charter Arms revolver chambered in .40 S&W which I think would be a perfect truck gun to put between the seat for a just in case quick draw……I’ve never been a huge fan of .40 cal but the ammo is always available and is an effective self defense round and is not so expensive as .44 Special….I’ve never owned a Charter but if it might fit a need for me at a price I can afford…….
    The Federal Government can not give anyone a single penny that it has not taken away from someone else….

well, I did buy the Bulldog and my ffl buddie conned me into buying a box of ammo he had stocked beck from a small time "manufacturer". So, new untested "less than expensive" revolver and unknown quality ammo made for a bit of confusing experience on a rushed range trip. Experienced 4-5 "light strikes" out of 20 rounds ... second strike lit them all fine. I wasn't ready to blame the gun but was really suspecting the primers may not be seated well in the "new" ammo. When I got home, before I cleaned the gun again (cleaned it to get the factory goo off before shooting) I tried the "pencil trick" to test the firing pin strike capability. In all 12-15 times pulling the trigger the pencil launched at least a foot out the muzzle. So, that takes me back (circle back?) to my original suspicion of the ammo.

What little 44spl brass I have on hand is cleaned and prepped for loading, and an equal number of 240gr boolits got an extra swirl with LEE LLA/Mineral Spirits - ready to load with a dash of Unique .... with properly seated primers. We'll see

jd

It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

I agree on the primer theory, there's so many little unknown ammo manufacturers out there now days, most I never heard of and then add the foreign stuff. One can't be to awful peculiar now days things being what they are but if I don't recognize the brand I leave it behind. Not hurting for ammo yet.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I loaded my first batch of 44 spl today. Just tweaked the well used 44 mag dies to build the specials. Some day, I'm gonna just spring for it if I load specials - 38 spl or 44 spl - very often, and buy duplicate dies to fit the chambering. Since I don't shoot a lot of 38 spls, they don't tend to get loaded much. With the 2-1/2 inch 44 spl CA Bulldog, I'll probably find an adequate 20+/- yard load to stick with and just keep a good supply on hand.

With stubby fingers, already feeling the touch of arthritis, I'm not going to have much issue with loading the 44 spl. I've noticed in the last few years that loading 45 auto and 44 mag was my favorite. Yep, big fat bullets and big fat brass are a whole lot easier to handle.

jd

Agreed on all counts. My 44 dies just come with an extra little ring to go from 44mag to 44spl. Same with my 38/357.

I haven't loaded anything in a long time, need to dust things off and figure out what I can load with components on hand.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

components on hand ... I've got plenty of the powders I use ... generally, plenty of brass .... a bit short on bullets, but they can still be found. Then, there's the primer issue, Last time I looked it seems I was down to about 4500 assorted primers, with small pistol primers being the least. Looks like the most I have in any one variety is Large Rifle, and the 30-30win is the only thing I load for needing that primer. Guess I need to order a couple thousand .310 g/c boolits for the long haul. Hopefully the primer issue will turn around pretty soon, but my local ffl buddy isn't real optimistic right now.

jd

That's where I'm at, got 1000's of primers but not many small pistol and not a whole lot of large pistol. Buckets of brass so no issue there.
    Figured things would start get back to normal by now but apparently it's still a ways off.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

at my current rate and even considering on hand components, I guess I could still keep up my "often, but limited volume" one or two weekly trips to the old man amusement park for another couple of years. It still beats whittling pointy sticks - for now. I never would have expected that the land of plenty would be gone before I would

jd

just to keep the thread going a bit longer ... after the "dinner guests" left this afternoon I slipped into the cave and loaded my second test batch of 44 spl. Still staying on the light side, mainly to test the functionality of the new CA Bulldog, loaded 20 rounds of 240 gr lswc over 5.0 gr of HP-38. Might be able to get out to the amusement park tomorrow afternoon if I can get a little something accomplished on my day job. Maybe 10 rounds of each of the two test loads, if successful, will be enough to ease my mind about the previous light strikes.

just using up some internetsuperhighway bandwidth

jd