CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Kind of slow here

Well I’m back to pulling the lever on the Dillion and L&L AP. I much prefer the Dillion over the Hornady. The L&L was purchased by a shooting friend but she just can’t get the hang of it so it’s now setup on my bench. It’s a solid unit, I’m used to the blue machine. Going to take some time to warm up to it. I’m going to work up some 9 and 45 loads with Ramshot Silhouette. First attempt using it. PITA working up new loads with eight bullet types and seven different guns. Just looking for acceptable results across the board. My WST recipe is great in all my 45’s. Should eat a few extra Christmas cookies to keep the strength.

I came to my senses and decided not to load 45 with Silhouette. My 45 loads are fine so it’s 9mm and maybe 380. The 380 loads should be on the hot end of the scale with that powder. The mighty P380.

of the six calibers I load for, I load something every week. I don't load in volume, I just load often. I go to the old man amusement park at least once a week, sometimes twice (or more), but I don't shoot in volume either - just often. It's kind of a routine thing now, so I guess it's not much to talk about for me. I just like punching holes in paper that just seems to be asking to be perforated.

jd

It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

Quote Originally Posted by DJK11 View Post
    I came to my senses and decided not to load 45 with Silhouette. My 45 loads are fine so it’s 9mm and maybe 380. The 380 loads should be on the hot end of the scale with that powder. The mighty P380.
    I just kept thinking about 45 with Silhouette. So I loaded Berry’s 230. Loaded 10 each from min - max in .2 increments. Also loading Acme coated 230 and 200 SWC. While the die is set for SWC I’ll load Berry’s 200 SWC. I really like the feel of 200 SWC in all my 45 pistols. 5.0 of Titegroup under a 200 SWC is a great load. NOT a powderpuff round. Crossed fingers that Silhouette is as good or better and burns cleaner. Titegroup works good for me with 200 SWC but it’s filthy.

Forgot to mention Silhouette meters great. Very consistent, near perfect drops. Ten drop averages across the range I used, didn’t need adjustment. Three or four drops to set then the ten drop average.

I have been shooting my old 1997-98 Kimber a lot more the last couple of years, and .45 auto is probably the easiest of everything (only 6 different cartridges) I load. And that Compact Stainless is the sweetest shooting handgun I've ever owned. Before my medical whackdown of 2016, I had loaded mainly with Unique but had just gotten into loading AA#7 in the .45 auto .... definately staying on the low side of the charge weights. By 2018, and slightly recovering, I was back to really wanting to occasionally tinker with the .45 auto and started loading with AA#5. I found 8.2 gr of AA#5 was like magic with cast 230 gr RN (either lubed nekkid boolits or plated), and before long I just had to try AA#2. That was a real pleasant surprise ... 5.2 gr of AA#2 cycles the gun perfectly (4" barrel with 20lb spring), and if I remember right, about 820 fps. When you're just punching paper, or trying to knock down them metal dinner plate doodads, it's on the pleasing side.

Since I'm still stuck on revolver and lever gun cartridges (.357 mag and .44 mag), AA#9 and AA#7 are always around (as well as A2400) .... and AA#7 (as well an Unique) is a mainstay in my cast boolit loads in 30-30 Win.

That old "what 1 Powder .... or ... what 4 Powders" question that always pops up on every gun site that discusses re-loading would be pretty simple for me. Either Alliant Powders (A2400 and Unique) or Accurate Arms Powders (#2, #5, #7, #9) would take care of my minimum requirements .... if I had to choose.

Now I sound like a creature of habit .... after a looong (lol) 10 year experience of re-loading, I still haven't tried Bullseyes or any of the three different "Dot" powders. Maybe next year, if powders and primers are still being made.

yep, it was a long, driveling ramble .... but I don't get out much

jd

Blasted some of the Silhouette 45 test rounds yesterday. Shot six of each charge from both the DE1911 and CZ97. 230 Berry’s were 6.6 - 7.8 grains in .2 increments. At 30’ they all shot great. Very low flash and smoke. Somewhat quiet but not as quiet as WST. A LOT cleaner than WST, Titegroup and Bullseye.

Berry’s and Acme 200 SWC are becoming my favorite. Loaded at 7.2 - 7.6 grains in .2 increments. Most shots were one and two raged hole.

I was kind of surprised on the accuracy, maybe I just had a good day. It’s going to be difficult deciding on a charge to settle on. I’m impressed on the accuracy across the full charge range.

A few Berry’s 230 rounds “keyholed” regardless of the charge. So I mic’d a couple dozen bullets and low-and-behold some were .449 diameter not .452.

Almost forgot I also shot a few through the JRC 45 carbine. Also great accuracy at 150’.
    More to come.

looks like it's been 10 months since this thread was updated, but the original title of the thread still fits today.

I still tinker with the re-loading type chores at least once a week, and actually re-load something 2-3 times a month. The old man amusement park still gets a visit at least once a week ... sometimes 2 or three. Thousands of pieces of brass all cleaned, resized, flared/belled are stored away waiting their turn. Plenty of powder on hand. Only half the bullets/boolits on hand and about a third as many primers I prefer to keep on hand. At the idiotic prices being demanded for the apparently limited supply of primers, they can let someone with a whole lot more money than me pay it. At shooting only 20-40 rounds per weekly trip, I can make what's left last another couple of years ... if I have to.

Yep, it's quiet in here

jd

My press's are drawing nothing but dust for a long spell. Like you say high prices and lack of availability keep me saving my components. Was just gonna load what I can but decided it was wiser to save components in case I want to do a different approach etc. Got plenty loaded up to last so I'll just wait and see like everybody else.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I probably have only 200-300 loaded rounds of each cartridge I load for ... a lot of which I've found better mix of components for. As low a volume as I shoot (often), I still end up stretching the new stuff out, while shooting up some of the less than desirable stuff along the way. At least that way, I'm able to sort of "stockpile" a little of the newer, better stuff.

I'm gonna ride this damn pony into the ground ... when there just isn't any components available, I'll go back to whittling pointy sticks.

jd