Tommy Gun   Tommy Gun Shop   Xssights   Magnum Research new

Thread: Laser Sight for the MK9?

Default Laser Sight for the MK9?

Hello,

Does anyone know if a Crimson Trace LG-437 will fit an MK9? Crimson Trace does not list the MK9 among the pistols the LG-437 fits, but I came across this Gun Broker listing:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/851910299

Which states the pistol includes the installed LG-437, and the accompanying photos show a Crimson Trace laser (LG-437?) mounted to the MK9.

If the LG-437 doesn’t fit, is there another laser option for the MK9? I do understand CT used to make a laser grip for the MK9, but it has been discontinued.

Thank you!

I found this post about MK CT grips. I know there is one thing you need to know, which is that there were two models of MK’s. I’ve seen others post about there being a difference in the grip areas of the two. Wish I remember exactly what, but I know that there is a serial # prefix on one that lets you know what you have. Maybe someone with more knowledge than myself will chime in (Greg?). If you use the search function on this site for “Crimson Trace” or “MK 9 Grips” you may find a few posts that will steer you in the correct direction. Here’s one post:
    http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...s&referrerid=0

There are serials with GC, GA, LTD, and others. Can't say whether the grip itself was a different size. It had more to do with grip hole locations and frame differences in the firearm grip itself. You can definitely read the serial number in the GB post. It must fit that particular serial # firearm. The others may have grip hole location differences. To find info on these different engineering changes with different serial numbers is very difficult to say the least...…………………….you may need to contact Crimson Trace. They MAY know...………………………………………….

I have CT LG-461 rubber overmolded laser grips on my MK9 and my MK40. I've never seen anything suggesting the LG-437 would be for those guns, but then I don't see everything. By chance could the seller be confusing the part number with the actual part number?

I do have both boxes that the grips came in, and they are clearly marked LG-461.

Ok, last edit I promise. I was mistaken. The CT triggerguard I have on my PM9 is an LG-437. I did not try it on my MK40 or MK9 because I don't want to pull it off my PM9 to find out. The other, extra triggerguard laser that I have which was for my now-gone PM40 is a Lasermax, and was made for the polymer Kahrs. It does fit on my MK40 and has front, trigger finger activation.

I think it best to contact the seller of that MK9 to ask how securely that laser is mounted. I say do this because there a some differences between the poly and steel guns other than the materials used.

The trigger guards are nearly identical in shape between a PM9 and MK9....

...but the guard is thicker on the poly gun. I think more significantly the dust cover on the MK9 is cut higher than the cover on the PM9

This results in a gap between the laser and the frame of the MK9 (I will point out the laser looks to fit tightly to the frame at the top of the trigger guard).
    From the seller's photos:

Compare that to the fit of the laser on this randomly picked photo of a Black Rose PM9

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Good detective work Greg. When I put the Lasermax triggerguard laser (made for PM guns), on my MK40 this morning it too had that gap under the dustcover. I did not screw it down or check closely for tightness of fit so I can't comment on that. I think it would work but don't know for sure.

Thanks so much for taking the time to provide the side-by-side profiles of the two pistols. Seems the laserguards would be designed to fit snuggly on the thicker poly trigger guard—could be a loose fit on the metal frame MK9.

I thought about contacting the seller, but decided against it, considering I wouldn’t be purchasing the gun. Perhaps Dao can comment on how secure the LaserMax is on his MK40?

I think the gap between the dust cover and laser is okay, based on what Crimson Trace wrote in their description of the LG-437:

*Based on machining variances between pistol models, it is possible that some consumers may experience a slight "gap" between barrel and Laserguard®. This does not affect overall fit and function of the laser sight in any way, shape or form.

dao,

Looks like we clicked “Submit Reply” at the same time. No need to put yourself out by fully fit testing the LaserMax on your MK40. Thanks for the input you’ve provided!