Crimsontrace   Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop   Xssights

Thread: Looking at a used PM45

Default Looking at a used PM45

I have been thinking about a CM45 and ran across a used PM45 in what appears to be good condition at a LGS.

Does anyone know about when S/N SV12## would have been made? Is there anything in particular to watch out for in a used PM45?

Thanks,
    Linthead

I’ve had two, sold the DLC to a coworker, shot the he// out of both. Without a doubt the best small plastic 45 made by anyone. Are you looking at gen1 or the current model?

Quote Originally Posted by DJK11 View Post
    I’ve had two, sold the DLC to a coworker, shot the he// out of both. Without a doubt the best small plastic 45 made by anyone. Are you looking at gen1 or the current model?

Don't think I am interested in the Gen2 trigger for EDC, plus both my P380 and CM9 have the Gen1 trigger. Consistency matters in a SHTF situation.

Not trigger. Most don’t realize there was a design change to the slide, just like the PM9. I had both PM45s. You want the current design. The gen one beats the heck out of the frame at the recoil spring base.

I call it gen one but it’s the original design. There are still new in box being sold.

Just checked mine SV59xx and it’s the current design. I’ll check if I have the sn of the one sold.

The gen one, original design is SV40xx.

Hope this helps. By the way the gen 2 triggers were never brought to market as far as I know but that’s really not much.
    Last edited by DJK11; 01-11-2020 at 12:07 PM.

Noted that Gen1 & 2 refers to the slide design and that Gen1 guns tend to beat up the frame where the recoil spring base sits.

Noted that SV40## was Gen1 and that SV59## was Gen2. SV12## would logically be Gen1.

I will ask to field strip / examine the used PM45 before going any further.

Thanks for the information.

Lint
    The gen one is kind of like a blunt nose and the gen two slide and recoil assembly is .125 longer. Kahr lengthen and tapered the nose of the PM9 slide in 2010 and I think at the same time for the PM45. That’s part of the frame battering fix. My gen one frame was replaced then repaired by Kahr again to fix the battering. Then it was good to go. I have a PM9 from the first production run of the longer slide in 2010. Look back at the threads.

Not trigger. Most don’t realize there was a design change to the slide, just like the PM9. I had both PM45s. You want the current design. The gen one beats the heck out of the frame at the recoil spring base.

I call it gen one but it’s the original design. There are still new in box being sold.

Just checked mine SV59xx and it’s the current design. I’ll check if I have the sn of the one sold.

The gen one, original design is SV40xx.

Hope this helps. By the way the gen 2 triggers were never brought to market as far as I know but that’s really not much.
    Do you happen to know if there was a similar issue for the CW45? I currently carry a CW45 that I bought last year NIB. However, it was marked down below cost since noone was purchasing Kahr's at that shop, and it could have been sitting on the shelf for years. They even have a couple old BM and HK knives that were discontinued a few years back sitting on their shelves.

Don’t know about the CW. I do remember a discussion quite awhile back about CW frames. Start a new thread and ask.

Lint
    The gen one is kind of like a blunt nose and the gen two slide and recoil assembly is .125 longer. Kahr lengthen and tapered the nose of the PM9 slide in 2010 and I think at the same time for the PM45. That’s part of the frame battering fix. My gen one frame was replaced then repaired by Kahr again to fix the battering. Then it was good to go. I have a PM9 from the first production run of the longer slide in 2010. Look back at the threads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott321 View Post
    Do you happen to know if there was a similar issue for the CW45? I currently carry a CW45 that I bought last year NIB. However, it was marked down below cost since noone was purchasing Kahr's at that shop, and it could have been sitting on the shelf for years. They even have a couple old BM and HK knives that were discontinued a few years back sitting on their shelves.
    Don’t know about the CW. I do remember a discussion quite awhile back about CW frames. Start a new thread and ask.
    The CW45 has always had the longer slide.

The issue with CW45 frames is that some had front rails that did not reach the rails in the front of the slide. You can check this by trying to push the dust cover out of alignment and working the slide. If the rails are to short, the slide will not move to the rear (to any significant degree).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbM9ADBIQcc

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    The CW45 has always had the longer slide.

The issue with CW45 frames is that some had front rails that did not reach the rails in the front of the slide. You can check this by trying to push the dust cover out of alignment and working the slide. If the rails are to short, the slide will not move to the rear (to any significant degree).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbM9ADBIQcc

Regards,
    Greg
    Thanks for the heads up. I just checked my CW45. I don't seem to have any issue with that.